Tensions rise in Sea Point as powerful men accused of promoting anti-homeless, anti-poor and sexist sentiments

Grant

Honorary Master
Wrong. Read and you will see they want the homeless in shelters where they get a free bed for the night and a free meal paid by the city and there are plenty shelters in Cape Town. The homeless refuse to go because to enter you need to be sober and drug free. So they rely on hand outs from do-gooders who don't want to recognise they are attracting these people to their area which results in urban decay, petty crime, theft and a decrease in property values.

The ANC, out of revenge and supported by IOL wants to house the homeless in housing projects right next door to ratepayers who pay a lot of money. They will never house the homeless next to the parliamentary village at Acacia Park who pay no rates at all and which has plenty of land to house them.

The actual political game is being played by the ANC and supported by their sycophant Itchy Scurvy of IOL.
You've got it wrong, there is a whole lot of other stuff going on.
SFB (sea point, Fresnaye, Bantry Bay) Ratepayers Association have a few projects going on:

I'm not going to go into all the details here, but they are geared to assist / support the homeless.
Numerous are employed to clean the beaches and public parking along beach rd (the pilot project area).
In return they receive a small payment, and costs for housing and food at a shelter are paid for - it's no free ride.
The project also serves to restore some modicum of self worth and value to the lives of these people.

The Ratepayers Association obviously has numerous other functions.

Unfortunately, this group, or its leader, seems to take umbrance that funds are being used to support / employ the homeless and cover the costs of accommodation of those employed so far.

That this group and its leader are complaining about the homeless - and simultaneously object to funding being used to create employment as a mechanism to begin to create a mentality of self sustainment (on the part of the unemployed homeless) beggars belief.

I have an email - a rather blunt exchange, which sums up the prevailing mentality.
I'm not going to publish its content on a public platform, but for some reason I trust your discretion. To that end, I'll PM you a little later (got things to do now), and you can take a read for yourself.

You are welcome to comment on the content here, but obviously you keep personal info to yourself.

Interested?

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
You've got it wrong, there is a whole lot of other stuff going on.
SFB (sea point, Fresnaye, Bantry Bay) Ratepayers Association have a few projects going on:

I'm not going to go into all the details here, but they are geared to assist / support the homeless.
Numerous are employed to clean the beaches and public parking along beach rd (the pilot project area).
In return they receive a small payment, and costs for housing and food at a shelter are paid for - it's no free ride.
The project also serves to restore some modicum of self worth and value to the lives of these people.

The Ratepayers Association obviously has numerous other functions.

Unfortunately, this group, or its leader, seems to take umbrance that funds are being used to support / employ the homeless and cover the costs of accommodation of those employed so far.

That this group and its leader are complaining about the homeless - and simultaneously object to funding being used to create employment as a mechanism to begin to create a mentality of self sustainment (on the part of the unemployed homeless) beggars belief.

I have an email - a rather blunt exchange, which sums up the prevailing mentality.
I'm not going to publish its content on a public platform, but for some reason I trust your discretion. To that end, I'll PM you a little later (got things to do now), and you can take a read for yourself.

You are welcome to comment on the content here, but obviously you keep personal info to yourself.

Interested?

Thank you Grant. That will be interesting and I will abide by the confidentiality. My experience is in the Far South of the Peninsula with the Kalk Bay and seaboard Bergies. The CoCT provided the shelter there free of charge and entry was subject to sobriety and being drug free.

chrisc

Executive Member
I am well acquainted with Paul Jacobsen. I thought a very mild-mannered person but has some extreme right-wing views. Also not at all wealthy, but likes to give the impression that he is a high roller

Grant

Honorary Master
I am well acquainted with Paul Jacobsen. I thought a very mild-mannered person but has some extreme right-wing views. Also not at all wealthy, but likes to give the impression that he is a high roller
I have had 2 exchanges with him.
Not impressed by his conduct.

However, I do believe what he originally set out to accomplish was with good intention and without malice.

Somewhere, somehow, things turned pear shaped.

Grant

Honorary Master
Thank you Grant. That will be interesting and I will abide by the confidentiality. My experience is in the Far South of the Peninsula with the Kalk Bay and seaboard Bergies. The CoCT provided the shelter there free of charge and entry was subject to sobriety and being drug free.
PM sent

Grant

Honorary Master
What this?
Part of messaging sent to journalist from one of those mentioned in the article.
Some form of editors meeting took place and a decision was taken to republish the article

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Part of messaging sent to journalist from one of those mentioned in the article.
Some form of editors meeting took place and a decision was taken to republish the article

Its quite funny to be honest.. like school yard bullies.

Grant

Honorary Master
Its quite funny to be honest.. like school yard bullies.
It's quite bizarre.
Everyone wants the homeless situation to be properly addressed - but not enough accommodation.

The Facebook "sea point action" group have been behind all the drama, behaving like a neo-Nazi organisation.
An incredibly toxic group of people, many of whom suffer delusions of entitlement.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It's quite bizarre.
Everyone wants the homeless situation to be properly addressed - but not enough accommodation.

The Facebook "sea point action" group have been behind all the drama, behaving like a neo-Nazi organisation.
An incredibly toxic group of people, many of whom suffer delusions of entitlement.

It could probably largely be boiled down to NIMBYism really. They want the problem solved, but it must be solved elsewhere, away from their sight.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
When politics enters, good goes out the window, the remaining bits fester. Not feeding the homeless so they can continue on the streets and create an environment that you don't want? Seriously? Threaten people who wants to try and help? How on earth does anyone justify this? sure all political parties just fighting for votes and all people involved has been quoted out of context, even journalism has been politicized. Totally unwise words and actions. Ffs.

Lol, notice how there is no thumbs up for you, lots for Cosmic, he gets the problems, you don't.

Grant

Honorary Master
It could probably largely be boiled down to NIMBYism really. They want the problem solved, but it must be solved elsewhere, away from their sight.
This crowd try blame the homeless on crime in the area.
The crime has always been there, and the crime statistics for the area have remained pretty static for a few years now.

They are also accused of drug use, which is true for some of the homeless.
But I see little difference between a homeless person smoking weed and mandrax in a tent, to somebody in a gin palace next to the house of the president hoovering up coke, cat and meth.

Aghori

Honorary Master
What's the problem? Those guys are doing the correct thing in my opinion.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
The reality is that the world is at war - the haves vs the have-nots.

And some of the haves want to give the have nots what some of the have a bit have without consulting the have a bits and taking the bit to give to have nots from the have a bits.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
And some of the haves want to give the have nots what some of the have a bit have without consulting the have a bits and taking the bit to give to have nots from the have a bits.
The elite is using the have-bits as a buffer and scape-goat from the have-nots. This war will only escalate. We see the world changing very quickly becoming polarized, less middle road sentiments and more and more just haves vs have-nots. The misguided haves helping the poor is now actually madness, helping the enemy to destroy your life.

Currantly

Expert Member

Why tension over homeless people is reaching boiling point in Sea Point​

Tension is brewing in Sea Point, on Cape Town's Atlantic Seaboard, as conflict among the homeless, those trying to assist them, and ratepayers continues to escalate.

Homeless people complain that they are being treated as outcasts by the community at large, while ratepayers are lobbying authorities, arguing that the homeless should be removed.

Residents have been at each other's throats, especially those trying to assist people living on the streets.

The issue reached boiling point this weekend when media reports surfaced about an influential group of residents, who are threatening those extending a helping hand to the homeless in the area.

Linky