Terabyte-using broadband customers surge in the US

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well, if Telkom’s customer portal is to be believed I’ll be joining the club… for the first time ever... :rolleyes:

Of course it’s not to be believed.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Well, if Telkom’s customer portal is to be believed I’ll be joining the club… for the first time ever... :rolleyes:

Of course it’s not to be believed.
I did 1.2TB just in backups last month, so I'm definitely over - although I'm sure I went over 1TB in August already after I got fibre (no way to verify though).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I did 1.2TB just in backups last month, so I'm definitely over - although I'm sure I went over 1TB in August already after I got fibre (no way to verify though).

Your use is legitimate, mine is an accounting error. SAIX reports my usage as 80% lower and I’m being throttled as a result.

ekske1

Executive Member

xera

Expert Member
268.7GB is a lot for average usage, how is this average measured? An average of all Internet users?

But it's not a lot considering the speed of Internet connections available now.

When I was flatting, we did a POC on a 4Mbit DSL line, and got 930GB.

So with 10M+ fibre, that is easy.

Joseph matane

Guys help does this mean if network operator in SA invested in old tech in certain area then lot of people use lot of data per month that operator might upgrade network before expected time frame, note am not talking about over subscribed network/tower but pure large data usage pattern
E.g Telkom roll out 3G only in my area and I use night data only per month I use more than 200GB
So if more people start to use that much data will that force Telkom to upgrade tower to 4G network since night data exclude roaming ?

Happy Days

Expert Member
Guys help does this mean if network operator in SA invested in old tech in certain area then lot of people use lot of data per month that operator might upgrade network before expected time frame, note am not talking about over subscribed network/tower but pure large data usage pattern
E.g Telkom roll out 3G only in my area and I use night data only per month I use more than 200GB
So if more people start to use that much data will that force Telkom to upgrade tower to 4G network since night data exclude roaming ?

Doubt it very much. Would like to be wrong though.

Having said that, upgrades in backhaul could allow for greater capacity. The question I would like to put out there:
Does the equipment on the mast present a potential bottleneck?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
As connected devices, streaming services and broadband speeds increase, service providers need an alternative to infrastructure upgrades that would enable them to keep up with demand.

Our analysis makes it clear that usage-based billing is among the most effective tools the industry has in managing consumption and reducing the need for massive capital expenditures.

Instead of limiting people's usage of a service/product you sell (ala-Eskom), spend the capital on infrastructure upgrades now while the demand is still manageable and give people what they want. If they want to use more than 1TB then let them and charge appropriately. If they cannot pay, then they do not get to use. Simple. They are being short-sighted and are killing their future revenue.

kianm

Honorary Master
I think they promise to do so, just not sure how quickly such upgrades happen. They also probably look at their overall utilization at the main DC and use that to forecast future upgrades etc

kianm

Honorary Master
Low i hope that's not they way they think, to limit their customers instead of upgrading / caching more popular content or have those Netflix storage devices installed in their DCs