Teraco investing R6 billion in data centre facilities in South Africa over next 4 years

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Teraco spending R6 billion on new data centres in South Africa

Teraco Data Environments announced that it has completed its JB3 data centre facility located within its Isando campus in Ekurhuleni, east of Johannesburg.

While the company could not disclose the size of its investment into JB3, Teraco CEO Jan Hnizdo told MyBroadband that it was in the billions of rand.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
It would be nice to see a small teraco data centre in Mtunzini where most of the east cables land so we can actually work on routing directly there.

Even then I wish AWS would wake up and do something for Durban so we can stop filtering traffic to JHB and back every time.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It would be nice to see a small teraco data centre in Mtunzini where most of the east cables land so we can actually work on routing directly there.

Even then I wish AWS would wake up and do something for Durban so we can stop filtering traffic to JHB and back every time.
isnt there a big data centre in Mount Edgecomb, or am I wrong?

also is Teraco taking the idea of data residency a bit too seriously? maybe to anticipate the big players , Google, Amazon, Microsft demands?

randomcat

Expert Member
A bit of topic but does South Africa have a compliance organization for data? I was wondering why the government doesn't use AWS or Azure to scale during high traffic.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
A bit of topic but does South Africa have a compliance organization for data? I was wondering why the government doesn't use AWS or Azure to scale during high traffic.

That would probably require a fundamental re-architecture of government systems to be able to burst out in to the cloud as a start...

Secondly, they're western evil companies, so we can't trust them.

R13...

Honorary Master
Because they want to establish their own cloud service. Something about not wanting their data belonging to foreigners. They call it data sovereignty. Sensible in theory but the government probably have other nefarious motivations.

randomcat

Expert Member
That would probably require a fundamental re-architecture of government systems to be able to burst out in to the cloud as a start...

Secondly, they're western evil companies, so we can't trust them.
Because they want to establish their own cloud service. Something about not wanting their data belonging to foreigners. They call it data sovereignty. Sensible in theory but the government probably have other nefarious motivations.
Maybe some of the new projects can be built with cloud or a hybrid model in mind.

China and EU have deals to keep data in the borders, I don't see why we can't have the same deal :unsure:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Maybe some of the new projects can be built with cloud or a hybrid model in mind.

China and EU have deals to keep data in the borders, I don't see why we can't have the same deal :unsure:

That would require them to use decent technologies, and also not to have ridiculous middle men extracting rent because "cloud" costs are pretty easy to work out for the average person...