Terrible Service from Supersonic Fibre and Extremely Slow International Connection.

Jaredza

I am with Supersonic Fibre, and for months on end, I have been dealing with terrible connection speeds for international traffic, packet loss, and overall unstable connection.

I have a 50/50 line and I am paying R995 per month. I chose them because they scored high on the MyBroadband customer scores. When I first got the line, I noticed that I could hardly watch Twitch Streams in 480p without it buffering, and I had terrible packet loss when playing Call of Duty - Warzone, whilst my peers had none in the same games. I'm using an ethernet cable. I complained about this and sent them tons of proof, only to be met with "there is nothing wrong with your line" being the response from them. Finally, when they admitted that my international speeds were extremely poor, they told me that "we are not responsible for your international connection". This is crazy, as 99% of South Africans are paying for the internet to access international servers, and they advertise that they can provide a great gaming experience and streaming experience.

92871288_216448673137400_6436837945730138112_n.png

Above was my connection speed to an international server in Amsterdam in April 2020. As you can see, the download speed is extremely poor.

Recently, as of August 2020, the service has gotten even worse. When I play League of Legends, the game is extremely janky and I often cannot see certain animations and there is visible network stuttering. When I try to watch streams on Twitch now, I can hardly ever watch anything in above 160p without it buffering constantly. The ONLY time that I can watch streams in HD, is 4-5am in the morning, presumably because their infrastructure is completely overloaded during the day.

118777042_613254596244331_6304066520731405288_n.png

Above is a speedtest to london done a few days ago. As you can see, the download speed as gotten to insanely slow levels, and accessing international content has become almost impossible.

I contacted them again to say there is something wrong. They replied with local speed tests saying that nothing is wrong.

I am at a loss of what to do next. I am stuck in a R995 per month contract, and I can't use my line for any of the main reasons I got it in the first place. I cannot watch streams or play games. It's effectively a rubish connection and they refuse to do anything to solve it, or even acknowledge the problem. I can't even move ISPs or they will charge me a R4000 cancellation fee.

Everyone who is having problems like this with Supersonic needs to come together and demand change and/or there needs to be a MyBroadband article calling out this terrible service. It blows my mind that this kind of thing can happen in 2020. I thought the nightmare of Telkom was over, but some Supersonic Fibre is worse than Telkom.

Jaredza

Thank you, I will contact them. One of the main reasons that I went with Supersonic is that MyBroadband gave them ISP of the year in 2019. However, I've seen nothing but complaints about them for months now. In my opinion, it would be great if MyBroadband could write an article on how many users are now having terrible experiences with Supersonic. I'm just one of the thousands that are getting screwed over here.

Mikanis

I am in the same boat as you, Supersonic's international speeds have dropped through the floor over the last six days, been trying to sort it out with them, but receive no feedback. They were really good when I first signed up, and I also signed up because of Mybroadband's listing. I have no idea whats happened, but both their service and their delivery is now shockingly poor.

warwickw

Expert Member
10043594762.png

10043585929.png

From home on a Vumatel circuit

Jaredza

I am in the same boat as you, Supersonic's international speeds have dropped through the floor over the last six days, been trying to sort it out with them, but receive no feedback. They were really good when I first signed up, and I also signed up because of Mybroadband's listing. I have no idea whats happened, but both their service and their delivery is now shockingly poor.

Sorry to hear that. It's so infuriating. I assume you are also in a contract where you cannot cancel or you will have to pay a penalty? The worst thing is that they won't even acknowledge there is a problem despite providing evidence. I have recorded videos of poor quality even. I have lodged a formal complaint with the ISPA.

It has become impossible to play competitive games or any games really online. It's effectively a dead connection at this point. I've been using my mobile data to access the internet, despite paying R1000 a month...

Jaredza

10043594762.png

10043585929.png

From home on a Vumatel circuit

Where are you situated? It could be different for you since you are on a 200/200 line.

It's good to know not everyone is affected, but still, there seems to be a significant number of Supersonic customers that have been having shocking levels of service delivery as of late. I even noticed in April when I signed up, that I was getting bad international speeds and packet loss. It's gone from bad to terrible very quickly since then

Mikanis

I'm in the Germiston, Gauteng area if that's helpful at all. I am on a month to month so I am thinking of cancelling if they don't get it sorted this week. They are clearly throttling.

Jaredza

I'm in the Germiston, Gauteng area if that's helpful at all. I am on a month to month so I am thinking of cancelling if they don't get it sorted this week. They are clearly throttling.

Ah you're extremely lucky you aren't locked in!

Different ISP though, which is the point. Supersonic is dropping the ball.

Wow that is damning. Supersonic really are stealing from people here it's terrible. I recently lodged a complaint with the ISPA, and I even recorded a video to show how unstable online games are on their network. Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out and witness how bad it has gotten:

Also, it must be noted that this is not the game. I have re installed multiple times, and the lag often reduces at 4 am. Which is extremely suspect.

Jaredza

Lonehill speedtest to London

c84818240d11b669c43013201591975f.jpg

This is exactly it. It is happening to a massive amount of Supersonic customers from what I've seen. But no one there takes responsibility or even acknowledges there is an issue. A few months ago they even had the nerve to tell me they were not responsible for international bandwidth! Crazy stuff.

As I said before, I only see improvements at around 4 am, which is damning.

r7ecko

Superslow! I hope the company burns

Attachments

• FB_IMG_15997998681636589.jpg
    FB_IMG_15997998681636589.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 25

ashurk

I am with Supersonic Fibre, and for months on end, I have been dealing with terrible connection speeds for international traffic, packet loss, and overall unstable connection.

I have a 50/50 line and I am paying R995 per month. I chose them because they scored high on the MyBroadband customer scores. When I first got the line, I noticed that I could hardly watch Twitch Streams in 480p without it buffering, and I had terrible packet loss when playing Call of Duty - Warzone, whilst my peers had none in the same games. I'm using an ethernet cable. I complained about this and sent them tons of proof, only to be met with "there is nothing wrong with your line" being the response from them. Finally, when they admitted that my international speeds were extremely poor, they told me that "we are not responsible for your international connection". This is crazy, as 99% of South Africans are paying for the internet to access international servers, and they advertise that they can provide a great gaming experience and streaming experience.

View attachment 905892

Above was my connection speed to an international server in Amsterdam in April 2020. As you can see, the download speed is extremely poor.

Recently, as of August 2020, the service has gotten even worse. When I play League of Legends, the game is extremely janky and I often cannot see certain animations and there is visible network stuttering. When I try to watch streams on Twitch now, I can hardly ever watch anything in above 160p without it buffering constantly. The ONLY time that I can watch streams in HD, is 4-5am in the morning, presumably because their infrastructure is completely overloaded during the day.

View attachment 905894

Above is a speedtest to london done a few days ago. As you can see, the download speed as gotten to insanely slow levels, and accessing international content has become almost impossible.

I contacted them again to say there is something wrong. They replied with local speed tests saying that nothing is wrong.

I am at a loss of what to do next. I am stuck in a R995 per month contract, and I can't use my line for any of the main reasons I got it in the first place. I cannot watch streams or play games. It's effectively a rubish connection and they refuse to do anything to solve it, or even acknowledge the problem. I can't even move ISPs or they will charge me a R4000 cancellation fee.

Everyone who is having problems like this with Supersonic needs to come together and demand change and/or there needs to be a MyBroadband article calling out this terrible service. It blows my mind that this kind of thing can happen in 2020. I thought the nightmare of Telkom was over, but some Supersonic Fibre is worse than Telkom.
Have you had any luck with the speed picking up? My fibre with Supersonic started acting up around the time you posted this and hasn't gotten any better since; like a 2G line.