rvZA
Honorary Master
- Joined
- Jan 3, 2021
- Messages
- 16,572
The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (Natjoints) cautioned South Africans against circulating false information about terror attacks.
This was in response to the security alert issued by the US Embassy earlier this week. On Friday, Natjoints, which includes the State Security Agency (SSA) and the South African Police Service (SAPS), said it met regularly to assess citizen safety.
"The security of citizens remains the top priority, and law enforcement agencies have measures to deal with threats to national security," said spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Netshiunda. Natjoints said law enforcement had already introduced heightened safety measures as part of its Safer Festive Season campaign.
"All hands are on deck, and all law enforcement agencies have joined forces to ensure that South Africans and those who live in this country are and feel safe," said Netshiunda. On Wednesday, the US Embassy issued a warning regarding possible terror attacks targeting large gatherings at an unspecified location in Sandton.
Although it said it did not have more information on the matter, it urged people to avoid mass gatherings. Several events will take place in Sandton this weekend, including the LGBTQIA+ Pride Parade, which will continue, despite the threats. Netshiunda said Natjoints would ensure the safety of attendees at hundreds of major events across the country.
'Terror attack': Natjoints warns South Africans not to circulate false information | News24
Natjoints, which includes the State Security Agency and the South African Police Service, said it met regularly to assess citizen safety.