Tesla lane-changing is less competent than a human driver - Consumer Reports

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Get laughed at constantly when telling people we're decades away from this tech getting rolled out in any meaningful fashion... so this topic has been irking me for a while.

I can't understand how even someone like Elon Musk doesn't understand that in order to solve this problem (using optics only, as Tesla does) you need a visual subsystem almost at least as capable as the human visual system, and given the fact that most of the human brain is basically geared towards vision, surely we're a long way off?

A 1.x TFLOPS Processor and shitty front view camera is not going to cut it given all the black swans a system like this has to deal with, you can machine learn all you want to but there will always be something difficult to solve for before you get to the point where this system would be something we can almost fully trust.

I do think Tesla has the right idea about how to solve this problem though, but how many black bags flying over the road in crap snowy conditions are you going to need for a system like this to fully understand what it's seeing and how to deal with it? How many potholes when driving west during sunset on a reflective road surface? How many hedgehogs, tortoises and torn off truck tyres or car bumpers on the road? Unmarked roads, car parks, blind corners with debris on the road etc. etc.

Not to mention that even in the US where there's a ton of highways, they still cover only about 1% of all road infrastructure and we're not even at a point now where autopilot can be fully trusted on highways, which is way, way easier than catering for all the nuances etc. you're going to have to deal with on rural roads.

Last edited:

quovadis

Expert Member
A 1.x TFLOPS Processor and shitty front view camera is not going to cut it given all the black swans a system like this has to deal with, you can machine learn all you want to but there will always be something difficult to solve for before you get to the point where this system would be something we can almost fully trust.
I watched the Autonomy day and it was damn impressive - they're way ahead of the pack.

3WA

Executive Member
Have they tested it against a driver from KZN?