Tesla Motors coming to South Africa: media report

saor

Honorary Master
Tesla will have one employee here from mid-January,” Rice told htxt.africa, “But if we can find some solid business cases and get them going we will be expanding.”
Ooookay then. It ain't like they're opening up a huge HQ here...just one person.

Jola

Honorary Master
Could anybody here even afford their stuff, now that we have the Zuma Rand ?

CeeBee

Expert Member
:) just read the heading and thought the tesla cars also coming here... coool.... but gotta get rid of JZ or we wont be able to afford the cars :D
alas, energy only, well, its a start....

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If Tesla does come to SA, we'll be lucky if the Model S starts at R1m. And it would take a long time before there are Tesla quick charging stations dotted around the country.

Don't see much of a market for their cars here.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If Tesla does come to SA, we'll be lucky if the Model S starts at R1m. And it would take a long time before there are Tesla quick charging stations dotted around the country.

They've got plans to build cheaper models, but you're right, we're probably years away from being ready for it. It will happen though eventually.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
They've got plans to build cheaper models, but you're right, we're probably years away from being ready for it. It will happen though eventually.

Not to mention our electricity is expensive, and Tesla's are rather fond of electricity.

Load shedding practices and a crumbling currency won't have instilled confidence in Tesla's ability to provide a quality service either.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I thought christmas had come early. But then I read the article and saw no mention of the Model X (or even the Model S).
And then it made me sad :(

JStrike

Honorary Master

Why not? In the USA, they are priced alongside Jaguar, and Jaguar sells well here.
As for charging, they had to build their supercharger network from scratch there, and they will do the same here. In the meantime we already have EV charging points at the office, we have them in apartment blocks, and they are super easy to install in your own garage if you have one.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Except that it's not (yet)

Of course it is. My household already goes through over 4k a month in electricity. We don't need a Tesla to add to that, especially considering how expensive Teslas are.