Tesla Powerwall prices for South Africa revealed

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Rubicon-Tesla-Powerwall-and-SolarEdge-kit-1-with-price-640x452.jpg

For comparison:

3kVA UPS - R22 998
16 Panasonic 42Ah VRLA batteries - R16 000 (I'm not scanning my invoice).
Box to hold them - R2 000 (Less, if you can operate a welder).

My maths might be off but it seems to me that R132 240>R41 000.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
View attachment 342146

For comparison:

3kVA UPS - R22 998
16 Panasonic 42Ah VRLA batteries - R16 000 (I'm not scanning my invoice).
Box to hold them - R2 000 (Less, if you can operate a welder).

My maths might be off but it seems to me that R132 240>R41 000.
Depth of discharge for said batteries, crap. Lifetime, crap.
Alternately, the Tesla is warrantied for a specific lifetime and daily cycle usage.

Price has suddenly jumped though from their initial 4000$ (R64k) for the PowerWall unit alone though, so safe to say it doesn't make financial sense at the moment.

Math based on previous noted pricing here - http://goingsolar.co.za/2016/02/15/tesla-powerwall-payback-math-for-south-africa/

This thread should really be merged with the other one though.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Alternately, the Tesla is warrantied for a specific lifetime and daily cycle usage.

Price has suddenly jumped though from their initial 4000$ (R64k) for the PowerWall unit alone though, so safe to say it doesn't make financial sense at the moment.

Math based on previous noted pricing here - http://goingsolar.co.za/2016/02/15/tesla-powerwall-payback-math-for-south-africa/

Depth of discharge is fine for their use case. Lifetime is fine for their use case.

For the amount of hype these things generate, you need to expect that people will run the numbers on use cases other than "100% discharge daily in a grid-tied solar system in a country with 0% interest rates". Hint: Even at $4000, they're only marginally viable in a very tiny niche, and absurd everywhere else.

Bighit

Expert Member
116000 for a 10 year warranty, which works out to what electricity will cost me over the same period at current rates, assuming I have an existing solar solution. No thanks. One of those Ellies backup batteries that costs about R8000 for the minimum of luxuries powered on sounds better for me.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
This could potentially be a saving because of inflation on your power bill! You will need to replace the geyser with solar system and the stove with gas too! Quite a costly exercise!

Iwojima

Expert Member
A poor exchange rate + some price gouging courtesy of Rubicon makes the product financially nonviable. It would take far too long to see return on investment.

Cheaper, locally sourced alternatives are available for far less.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
I assume they wouldn't support an imported model... they have no reason to.
What do these units cost in the US?

The_MAC

Executive Member
Doesn't seem too unreasonable in the bigger picture.
For R133k I can build an inverter system that will run 2 homes, with solar panels.

There is way too much hype around this thing, its basically the iPhone of Inverters, and there are plenty of people who will rush out to get one and make sure all the friends and family go into the garage to have a look at it during a braai. Or they might even install it in the lounge next to the TV just to show off.

oober

Expert Member
So they are charging +-R60k/$4000 for a 5kw inverter if said powerwall was priced at $4000?

JStrike

Honorary Master
For R133k I can build an inverter system that will run 2 homes, with solar panels.

There is way too much hype around this thing, its basically the iPhone of Inverters, and there are plenty of people who will rush out to get one and make sure all the friends and family go into the garage to have a look at it during a braai. Or they might even install it in the lounge next to the TV just to show off.
Braai? I doubt there is much overlap between those of us that will be buying these and those that braai. Some, but not a lot

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
116000 for a 10 year warranty, which works out to what electricity will cost me over the same period at current rates, assuming I have an existing solar solution. No thanks. One of those Ellies backup batteries that costs about R8000 for the minimum of luxuries powered on sounds better for me.
Electricity is going to cost you 3x as much though.

I do agree, its too expensive. This is 100k without any PV, so not actually worth anything.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

My house has a UPS system that cost around R40k. I don't care if Tesla has better quality batteries - I could replace my whole system three times for the same price.

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member

Real world comparisons would be useful in here!

The_MAC

Executive Member
Real world comparisons would be useful in here!
Yeah, hence the comment. If you want to spend R133k for a battery and inverter then its your choice.

Or you can put in a little bit of effort and assemble your own for a third of that price, that includes the UPS, Inverter, Batteries and all associated electrical work i.e. splitting of the DB etc. = Real Word Comparison

markings

Expert Member
Haha I can deposit that money in the bank and the interest will pay for my electricity twice over.