Testbunnies required for my app similar to RouteSentry

kimbo

Expert Member
O one thing .. your icon in the system tray (by the clock) the pop up on mouse over says notifyIcon1

Spynx

Thanks, it's working perfectly on Win7 x64 with a Siemens router. Nice app. :)

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Hi, thanks Pada - just went through the registry and the values will still at 1, changed them to 3 now and will check after reboot. Strange that the reg file didn't work for me. Must I send you the locations of my WanEndPoints in my registry for reference?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Cool, seems to be working now! Now I can just set "Automatically re(connect)" and add the application to my startup! Voila. Thanks a lot for all the hard work you put in to this!

Pada

Executive Member
New version is out: Traffic Splitter Beta 6.3: http://traffic-splitter.googlecode.com/files/TrafficSplitterBeta6.3.zip

Changes (thanks to eegee for all his suggestions):
  • added basic statistic features
  • fixed minimize to tray checkbox
  • showing minimize to tray balloon tooltip only once
  • hiding app from ALT+TAB list when minimized to tray

The statistics is the latest addition to the application. Its very basic though. It gets updated every 10 seconds, or you can click the button to update it.
It shows both the current bytes sent & received, as well as the accumulated totals. The accumulated totals are just calculated for the duration that Traffic Splitter is open.

Eg If you've already downloaded 70MB and then open Traffic Splitter. It would show the 70MB being downloaded and 0MB for the accumulative value, unless you've previously ran Traffic Splitter with the statistics functionality in place :D

Sorry for the looks/userfriendlyness of the application. I just don't have that much time to waste on silly stuff. I'm waiting on Gladiator to help me get my source code to industry standards. Once I've received his copy, I will start improving on the layout & source code myself. For now I just wanted the application to be bug free & fully functional.

Thank you for everyone's support & efforts in testing the application. I really appreciate all the positive input.

Last edited:

fragtion

Expert Member
Pada this is looking really AWESOME and is just what this country's DSL situation needs at this point - a no-brainer approach to connection splitting.... about someone did it right! Great job! :)
Definitely two features that would make this app top the cake are:
1) Connection statistics (how much bandwidth has been used on the connection, maybe even make it log per month type of thing), as well as current packet rate in B/s -> KB/s
2) Auto-update facility (like Skype / Firefox ?) so we dont have to check the google code area everytime for an update, or at least an update NOTIFIER so that people know when a new version is out
I realize these can be quite complex functions and are irrelevant features for the purpose of the app, so they can wait... but they will help make life easier.. who needs netmeter when you can integrate it into this? :)

Last edited:

Pada

Executive Member
Cool suggestions Fragtion, although I don't think that I'll ever implement something that shows the packet rate. I could implement a simple average packet rate over the 10 second period.
I just feel that if you really want to monitor your Internet usage, you should get a dedicated bandwidth monitor application like Netlimiter or NetWorx.

As for the automatic updating feature...
The OneClick setup that I'm using that comes with Visual Studio Express 2008 does have an automatic update feature, BUT then you have to host the files on a webserver with some stupid Microsoft web extension that I would like to avoid at all costs.
Maybe I could simply add a textfile to the Google Code downloads that includes the latest version info :) Other suggestions are welcome.
I eventually want to replace that stupid OneClick setup with a decent NSIS (nullsoft scriptable install system) installer.

I think my next step should be to write documentation for my app.

kimbo

Expert Member
Hi Pada

Just installed and trying to run the app but i get this :

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: GetAdaptersAddresses did not return ERROR_SUCCESS.
at ipxconfig.IpHlpNetworkAdapterUtil.GetAdaptersAddresses(AddressFamily addressFamily, GAA_FLAGS gaaFlags, List`1& adaptersAddressesCollection)
at TrafficSplitter.Routing.FindIndex(VirtualAdapter adapter)
at TrafficSplitter.AdapterFunctionsRAS.GetGatewayIPAddress(VirtualAdapter adapter)
at TrafficSplitter.VirtualInterface.RefreshState()
at DotRas.Design.RasComponent.RaiseEvent[TEventArgs](EventHandler`1 method, TEventArgs e)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
TrafficSplitterBeta
Assembly Version: 0.6.3.19
Win32 Version: 0.6.3.19
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kimbo/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/C3LA5XXY.3OH/JVJ7PALV.WLJ/traf..tion_6d740f03d769fa7f_0000.0006_4006160ca875cb31/TrafficSplitterBeta.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
DotRas
Assembly Version: 1.1.3530.40257
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kimbo/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/C3LA5XXY.3OH/JVJ7PALV.WLJ/traf..tion_6d740f03d769fa7f_0000.0006_4006160ca875cb31/DotRas.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

kimbo

Expert Member
It is running fine now .. dont know what happened there .. thank you for the statistics :D

kimbo

Expert Member
Pada .. if i connect both connections it is fine .. but as soon as i click "set up routes" i get this:

11/15/2009 10:35:05 PM : [ERROR] Unable to manipulate routing table: One or more arguments are not correct
11/15/2009 10:35:05 PM : [ERROR] Local [Local]: route -p add 216.236.176.0 mask 255.255.240.0 0.0.0.0 if 40 metric 20

that is just the last two lines .. i will span the post if i post it all

badprop0210

Pada .... I can still only make 2 connections at a time. Is this the norm?

Everytime I am connected to local IS for example, it downloads fine but as soon as I add an international connection, my Altbinz drops dead to 0KB/s

Is this error on my side?

Win XP Performance edition
March 2009
SP3

Pada

Executive Member
badprop, I need more information regarding your situation.

Without modifying the registry or using RASPPPoE, you would get the following error as soon as you attempt to dial a second PPPoE connection:
Error 633: THe modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly
I'm not using RASPPPoE on Windows XP and I'm able to dial more than 1 PPPoE account by simply modifying the registry and then restarting.
To modify the registry, see this post of mine: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=3341518&postcount=79

You could try downloading & importing my registry file for Windows XP: http://www.quickshare.co.za/files/qrrapw3l/WanEndpointsXP.reg.html
I'm not 100% sure if your 'WAN Miniport (PPPoE)' values would be in the same locations. So if you want to do me a favour, UNINSTALL RASPPPoE, import that WinXP registry file of mine and then run regedit and double-check that the WanEndpoints are set to 3 where the 'DriverDesc' is 'WAN Miniport (PPPoE)' in the same key (folder) as the WanEndpoints.

Surv0

Executive Member
Just installed this app yesterday.
Had a wierd problem with Route sentry in that it would disable my local network routing, when ever my internet was connected. Win 7 64... would have to disable network card and re-enable to get it working again.

This has resolve that issue, so gg from me. Havent fully tested all routing though..

Pada

Executive Member
Surv0, feel free to ask if you're having trouble with it. To do a quick test if its splitting the traffic correctly, like RouteSentry, go to the Options tab and click the buttons to get both the International & Local IP addresses. If they're different, then my app should be splitting the traffic correctly.
You could also browse a few sites and watch the monitor the Statistics page.

As for that issue that you had with RouteSentry...: Stroebs' RouteSentry guide showed how to correct that problem. Are you perhaps using a 10.0.0.* LAN IP range? I think RouteSentry only does that to that specific LAN IP range... which is one of the reasons why I went and wrote a new app :D

wikus

Just a few small bugs I've had with using the Traffic Splitter app:

The newest version of the app freezes when setting up the local routes, it stops about halfway, freezes for a few seconds and then runs normally again after the routes have been setup.
The app has some difficulty detecting when a connection is disconnected in windows.

And some suggestions/questions:

Isn't it possible to save the settings and routes and not delete it when the program uninstalls or ask if it should be kept for a future install?
Can the notification in the taskbar that displays when the program is minimized be disabled?

Thanks as always for a great app. I have uninstalled Route Sentry as this app is even in it's early stages a good replacement for Route Sentry in terms of functionality.

Pada

Executive Member
The newest version of the app freezes when setting up the local routes, it stops about halfway, freezes for a few seconds and then runs normally again after the routes have been setup.
This might be due to it setting up the routes separately for each interface. eg. it would start setting up the routes for the international connection, check the settings and then set up the routes for the local connection.

The app has some difficulty detecting when a connection is disconnected in windows.
Unfortunately the detection is done with the DotRAS library and I have experienced the same thing every now and then. I can't place when and why it would happen.
What I do know, is that it cannot detect that a connection is being dialed, unless the connection was dialed by Traffic Splitter earlier in that session OR if the connection was open when Traffic Splitter was launched.

Isn't it possible to save the settings and routes and not delete it when the program uninstalls or ask if it should be kept for a future install?
Unfortunately that is the stupid limitation of the OneClick setup that I'm using. I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I would like to replace that stupid setup with a decent NSIS installer. The installer should also modify the registry's WanEndpoints accordingly.

Can the notification in the taskbar that displays when the program is minimized be disabled?
As from Beta 6.3 it would only show the notification once and once only. If you restart the app, it won't show it again.

I am not going to make any modifications to the application before I have received examples from Gladiator. From a functional point of view, I would rate that I have achieved what I was aiming for - although there are lots of improvements to be made :)

Last edited:

AjAx30

trying to use the program now for the first time after using route sentry with my telkom issued premium combo marconi router.. I managed to set RS up fine there but it stopped working 2 days ago.

We now got a Billion 7401VGP router (MWEB VOIP router), but i cant find where the heck to set this thing to bridge mode or how to set it up to allow a program like this to work..

any suggestions at all, or will i have to buy myself a new router?

I aint that clued up with all the technical stuff with networks etc, so step by step would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Flippy_r_1st

trying to use the program now for the first time after using route sentry with my telkom issued premium combo marconi router.. I managed to set RS up fine there but it stopped working 2 days ago.

We now got a Billion 7401VGP router (MWEB VOIP router), but i cant find where the heck to set this thing to bridge mode or how to set it up to allow a program like this to work..

any suggestions at all, or will i have to buy myself a new router?

I aint that clued up with all the technical stuff with networks etc, so step by step would be greatly appreciated ;-)
u cant bridge that router

AjAx30

had a feeling that might be the answer... guess its a new router for me then