Tests prove that Vodacom disappearing airtime is real

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Tests prove that Vodacom disappearing airtime is real

MyBroadband conducted a series of tests which revealed that the airtime balance steady declined on Vodacom even when mobile data was off.

The last round of tests found that when four identical smartphones - each with a SIM from a different mobile network - were connected to Wi-Fi with mobile data turned on, the Vodacom and Cell C SIMs were charged for out-of-bundle (OOB) data usage.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Please rerun this test with the Glasswire app instead.. I find it to be better than any other app at detecting data usage..

Also, a larger sample set of apps showing the same data, would go along ways in throwing the ball back in mobile operators court..

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Old news?
Did we miss something. Were these tests reported which we do not know about?

Note - This is a second set of tests with mobile data turned off - not the same as the previous tests.

ProfA

Honorary Master
Did we miss something. Were these tests reported which we do not know about?

Note - This is a second set of tests with mobile data turned off - not the same as the previous tests.
Ahhhh. Apologies. I misread the part about mobile data turned on in the last round of tests. My apologies.

But in a certain way i stand by my comment because many of us have experienced the stolen (please call it what it is) airtime problem for a long time before this article. Same as with Rain. They havd been fcking over their clients long before you guys decided to report on it.

access

Honorary Master
interesting. does it happen on any brand phone?

cellphone data is provided along with certain communication data, like for example when cellphone numbers showed when browsing.

is vodacom detecting this and inadvertently charging because it is related to a specific sim/device.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Think it's important to put this into context. And also point out that this was discussed with MyBB.

MyBB turned the mobile data setting off on the phone but the phone kept on using mobile data. From the network side we could see the data flowing across the link even during the time MyBB indicated the phone had the data switched off.

The traffic is thus real and would incur charges as per previous comms (this SIM does not have a data bundle and is running OOB).

The real question here is why is an Android device using its mobile data connection when it's tuned off?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
developer settings, keep data alive?
that setting can be turned off.
Could well be that an app on the MyBB handset is bypassing the OS setting. In fact, pretty sure it has to be. I looked at the detailed traces myself and the URLs it's going to are pretty weird.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Think it's important to put this into context. And also point out that this was discussed with MyBB.

MyBB turned the mobile data setting off on the phone but the phone kept on using mobile data. From the network side we could see the data flowing across the link even during the time MyBB indicated the phone had the data switched off.

The traffic is thus real and would incur charges as per previous comms (this SIM does not have a data bundle and is running OOB).

The real question here is why is an Android device using its mobile data connection when it's tuned off?
Why did MyBB not include this in their article..? Seems like pretty pertinent information that readers should be aware of...

eg2505

Honorary Master
Could well be that an app on the MyBB handset is bypassing the OS setting. In fact, pretty sure it has to be. I looked at the detailed traces myself and the URLs it's going to are pretty weird.

Samsung spyware? who would have thought!