Tests prove that Vodacom disappearing airtime is real

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Hmm... interesting.
I might run a wireshark on my Nokia
At what point are these requests going out? Random? Or specifically after a boot?
Very random, but would really be interested to see what you see.

One thing that MyBB picked up was that a data usage app did not pick up this traffic on the handset. So it seems it might sit "deeper" under the APIs. not sure where WireShark stick its nose in?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
So then the problem is not related to the network, because data will disappear if it was from their side. Obviously something must be using the data - telling me it's not specifically a Vodacom issue. It's a device/setup/OS issue. Or do I have it wrong here?
Definitely device side. Not sure what on the device, trying to figure that out.

gottagoon

Executive Member
Going to test my Nokia1 with my Vodacom card in and see if it consumes data with mobile data switched off while I'm connected to our Telkom modem.

DTBA

Expert Member
Just a question can mybb not buy one of them cheap pepstores phones that cannot make a data connection? And leave the sims in them. For a month

NqobileM

Really this is frustrating and the Vodacom network has been slow and glitchy lately. Could be something they did on purpose so that they get more profits. It's not fair on us as users.:cautious:

KikzAzz

Expert Member
Could well be that an app on the MyBB handset is bypassing the OS setting. In fact, pretty sure it has to be. I looked at the detailed traces myself and the URLs it's going to are pretty weird.

But then why is it not happening on the MTN and Telkom nework? If it was a handset that bypasses the OS settings, it should be happening on all the neworks.

ProfA

Honorary Master
So despite turning off the mobile data in the settings, the DEVICES still use data by ignoring this setting and connecting to the mobile data. Totally plausible. But now the next question....do the devices in question do this on ALL the networks? If not, why not? Do the devices have a personal vendetta against Vodacom, or just prefer to use vodacom data?

The Door

Honorary Master
Very random, but would really be interested to see what you see.

One thing that MyBB picked up was that a data usage app did not pick up this traffic on the handset. So it seems it might sit "deeper" under the APIs. not sure where WireShark stick its nose in?
Yeah, looking at tools avaliable at the moment, it's likely going to be tcpdump or PCAP. *EDIT* I see the Nokia 8's bootloader is locked so I'm not likely to get root...
Going to explore tPacketCapture as an option - set up a VPN and capture that way.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Yeah, looking at tools avaliable at the moment, it's likely going to be tcpdump or PCAP. *EDIT* I see the Nokia 8's bootloader is locked so I'm not likely to get root...
Going to explore tPacketCapture as an option - set up a VPN and capture that way.
It's super outdated but, did manage to capture some packets..

I did not have it running long though.. whole lotta keep alive requests, DNS queries for WhatsApp hostnames, lotta them..

Did not see any weird URLs but that could just be down to my 5 minute capture time..

The Door

Honorary Master
It's super outdated but, did manage to capture some packets..

I did not have it running long though.. whole lotta keep alive requests, DNS queries for WhatsApp hostnames, lotta them..

Did not see any weird URLs but that could just be down to my 5 minute capture time..
Did you capture mobile data only?
I'm figuring out how to achieve that...

WAslayer

Executive Member
Did you capture mobile data only?
I'm figuring out how to achieve that...
I turned both WiFi and mobile data off.. I turned off mobile data, since the article mentioned mobile data was off while they were still seeing airtime declining..

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master

The theory being that the phone isn't actually turning of the Mobile data when you hit the option, so, turn it off another way, go into the APN settings, and change it to incorrect things

So, Vodacom APN settings are this:
  • Carrier: Vodacom APN.
  • Username:
  • Password:
  • Pop Type: IP.
  • Auth Type: PAP.
  • MCC: 655.
  • MNC: 01.
  • Dial Number: *99#
Change it to this:

• Carrier: zrdhfbxdhbsfn
  • Username: tdhstfhshb
  • Password: htdtfhtxfhbdfgn
  • Pop Type: IP. (Change to whatever else is available)
  • Auth Type: PAP. (Change to whatever else is available)
  • MCC: 788.
  • MNC: 10.
  • Dial Number: *22#

If this then results in no data whatsoever, we then know the phone is the culprit, if it makes no differnece, we'll call Jannie.