Tests prove that Vodacom disappearing airtime is real

access

Honorary Master
I'm aware the network operator assigns an ip address to the mobile data connection. Also that WiFi would need it's own, wherever that may be.

My point is that the disappearing data has been happening for a long time.
If it's due to a function of Android, Vodacom need to fix it.
I'm not saying they should fix Android.
Let's lose semantics.

semantics? i think we are talking about different things here. im not interested in the wifi.

im interested to know if the operators network layer is still active when its supposedly disabled on the source and if they can see an address since they can trace data to a destination. or any layer for that matter. it could also be a reason why/how the different operators count data, one operator could connect/disconnect a link in a different way to another.

Apogee

Expert Member
Also ensure this toggle switch is off in Developer options, although I don't think this is the cause. 20201015_143756.jpg

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Got confirmation that a developer can select which connection to use. So, if both Wi-Fi and mobile are up, it's not automatic that all data will go across Wi-Fi.

This is indeed true, however I suspect modern Android should honor the "mobile data turned off" regardless of what the application requests... There were some hacks to programatically turn on mobile data using Java reflection techniques but that was many many moons ago.

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Thieves!

Bastards!

Receive sms below

d2255dfe7cb8961e3ea9de90c7ef985c.jpg

I'm like 'huh!' I didn't subscribe to anything...

Go into the app and what do I see...

5bab9bd8f00614450b06a90a920ddbaa.png

What the actual f.ck!

Thieves!

gottagoon

Executive Member
There was something around about 2 weeks ago that I suddenly found myself subscribed to. R5 a day. Caught it the first time it did it.

So far so good. Haven't had anymore deductions :thumbsup:.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Thieves!

Bastards!

Receive sms below

d2255dfe7cb8961e3ea9de90c7ef985c.jpg

I'm like 'huh!' I didn't subscribe to anything...

Go into the app and what do I see...

5bab9bd8f00614450b06a90a920ddbaa.png

What the actual f.ck!

Thieves!
Same, but I've been ignoring these sms's until I saw this post and decided to do the same and click the link:
IMG_3334.jpg

I turned block content on, they reply with "in progress". I think this will be my last month with them, been a subscriber since 1998. My contract has ended and has moved to month to month.

gottagoon

Executive Member
Maybe it's got something to do with the SIM card? Mine is old. I had to get a cell shop down the road to cut my old Vodacom card to fit my Nokia 1.

Who knows?

gottagoon

Executive Member
A friend here has a Samsung tablet. This one:

It only allows MTN if you want to buy data bundles. Old MTN card.

So he's had **** luck. Was robbed at gunpoint twice in 6 Months. Took his nice phones. Anyway, he was happy with Vodacom here and decided to go and RICA a new Vodacom card so he can use it in his tablet above...

Card won't allow him to buy data. Options missing.

Vodacom has excellent offers here where I am for both data and voice. He can't access them anymore.

So, as a Technical guy I try and work out what and why. I don't know enough about cellphones. However, everything points to the new Vodacom card. It's just not like my older one.

That's all I know.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Same, but I've been ignoring these sms's until I saw this post and decided to do the same and click the link:
View attachment 936340

I turned block content on, they reply with "in progress". I think this will be my last month with them, been a subscriber since 1998. My contract has ended and has moved to month to month.

mine still hasn't switched on - guess I'll have to call them

this is the last straw for me - going to port out to Telkom at month end

wingnut771

Honorary Master
mine still hasn't switched on - guess I'll have to call them

this is the last straw for me - going to port out to Telkom at month end
Enjoy your netflix subscription. :laugh:

I logged in again this morning and block content was off again. Switched it back on and is now on "in progress" again. I'm going to port to afrihost mtn.

Apogee

Expert Member
Have you tried the USSD code to block all WASP subscriptions?

20201021_195606.jpg

All Vodacom subscribers should do this from day one when they sign up with them.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Have you tried the USSD code to block all WASP subscriptions?

View attachment 937372

All Vodacom subscribers should do this from day one when they sign up with them.
I've been on contract since 1998. I've never had to do anything and have never been subscribed to anything until now in 2020, after receiving 3 sms's last week out of the blue? VC can suck my balls.

yebocan

Honorary Master
vodacom should just own up, they "saving up" to settle that ongoing PCM dispute :whistling: