That R149 pm MTN 50GB deal from Black Friday 2016: the end is nigh...

sand_man

Honorary Master
It looks like the 50GB promotion runs separately to the contract you are actually on. I upgraded this weekend and although my contract changed, the 50GB dis not fall away
Probably because the 50gb contract hasn't expired yet?

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
yeah the promotion is for 24 months . on the 05th of Dec or something the 50gb stops

Tovad

The last month will probably be a pro-rata allocation - therefore you can expect less than the 50 GB promo around 11 November.

FlashSA

Executive Member
The last month will probably be a pro-rata allocation - therefore you can expect less than the 50 GB promo around 11 November.
Doubt it. Pro rata happens at the beginning of a contract, not the end. My reset date is the 6th, so I'll get 50GB this Saturday and my final 50GB on 6 November which will expire midnight 5 December.

Really hoping for a decent BF deal this year...

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Does anyone know how to cancel this contract? Im guessing a 1 month notice is required?
Yeah apparently from Dec your contract goes to month to month

and you need to put it in writing a month before to cancel

Tovad

Doubt it. Pro rata happens at the beginning of a contract, not the end. My reset date is the 6th, so I'll get 50GB this Saturday and my final 50GB on 6 November which will expire midnight 5 December.

Really hoping for a decent BF deal this year...
Not everyone has their contract termination date the same as their monthly renewal date

My termination date is 4 December but my monthly renewal is 14 December
I will therefore be very surprised to receive the full 50GB allocation on 14 November

Attachments

FlashSA

Executive Member
Not everyone has their contract termination date the same as their monthly renewal date

My termination date is 4 December but my monthly renewal is 14 December
I will therefore be very surprised to receive the full 50GB allocation on 14 November
Keep in mind, contract doesn't terminate, it switches to month to month. Also, you must receive 24x allocations of the 50GB and 10000 minutes. I'm too lazy to count back.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Man, if something else doesn't come along on Black Friday this year I am gonna be sad.

Currently sitting at our family beach house in the Transkei and downloading 8 episodes of Suits via DSTV Now/Catchup app and all 8 are set to come down in 1080 Full HD. I'm really going to miss this....

mercury12

Expert Member
Keep in mind, contract doesn't terminate, it switches to month to month. Also, you must receive 24x allocations of the 50GB and 10000 minutes. I'm too lazy to count back.
So what would they charge, on a month to month basis, once the contract expires? And would you get any minutes and data?

Nadir

So what would they charge, on a month to month basis, once the contract expires? And would you get any minutes and data?
I would also like to know since part of the contract includes a R100 discount. On my invoice it shows R250 discounted to R150. Hopefully it stays at the R150 on month to month.

My plan B incase there is no BF deal this year is Telkom. I saw they have an unlimited data family package for R1500. We have 4 MTN BF deals and Telkom uncapped ADSL at home. If we go for the unlimited data family package we can get the 4 Telkom SIMS and cancel our ADSL (also on month to month), in the end it should work out cheaper for all of us

Dubai

I would also like to know since part of the contract includes a R100 discount. On my invoice it shows R250 discounted to R150. Hopefully it stays at the R150 on month to month.

My plan B incase there is no BF deal this year is Telkom. I saw they have an unlimited data family package for R1500. We have 4 MTN BF deals and Telkom uncapped ADSL at home. If we go for the unlimited data family package we can get the 4 Telkom SIMS and cancel our ADSL (also on month to month), in the end it should work out cheaper for all of us
Please post link for telkom deal

Space

https://securej.telkom.co.za/today/freeme/free-me-unlimited/

R1 005.00
PM x 24
  • Unlimited data
  • Free Whatsapp calling and messaging (2GB FUP)
  • Free calls to over 6 million Telkom numbers (3 000 minutes FUP)
  • Free calls to other networks in SA (FUP of 3 000 minutes per month)
  • Free WiFi at Telkom Hotspots
  • Free SMSs (50 SMSs per day)
  • Now with LIT_ music and video streaming
  • Out of bundle rates on FreeMe: Voice: 70c per minute (per-second billing)
  • Out of bundle rates on FreeMe: SMS: 30c (160 characters)
  • Out of bundle rates on FreeMe: MMS: 50c (300KB)
  • Out of bundle rates on FreeMe: Data: 30c per MB

Nadir

Please post link for telkom deal
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/personal/plan/freeme-family-unlimited/

Its this package. The link above is not the family deal and has a FUP on the unlimited data.
As far as I read in the T&Cs and FAQs for the family unlimited package there is no mention of a FUP. Im sure there is one but it should be much higher considering up to 9 SIMs can be used on the single package

EDIT: I found the FUP now in a pdf hidden deep down in the page. Its 100GBs, which is a bit low. Need to reconsider this choice
Q: What happens when I’m on the FreeMe Family Unlimited and I reach usage of 100 GB data and/ or 1000 minutes in the middle of the month? A: When the 100 GB limit is reached, your service will NOT be stopped but the speed of your connection will be lowered. When the 1000 minutes limit is reached, OOB rates apply (unless a bundle is purchased

Last edited: