That R149 pm MTN 50GB deal from Black Friday 2016: the end is nigh...

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
On Friday is what I was told by mtn, also waiting it out to see what else they reveal
Same here, but then when I look at what they offered last year : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smartphones/238904-mtn-black-friday-2017-mega-deals.html quite poor in comparision to the 2016 offer, and the current upgrade offer is pretty good deal that no-one else has come close to on any offer anytime.

I had a look at CellC, Vodacom and Telkom's offers from the previous years and only 20GB+20GB at R200 from Telkom last year was okay. Vodacom released their 'specials' early and their lame offerings was laughed at and they ended following up with a limited number of device contracts only slightly sweeter.

Speedster

Executive Member
Same here, but then when I look at what they offered last year : https://mybroadband.co.za/news/smartphones/238904-mtn-black-friday-2017-mega-deals.html quite poor in comparision to the 2016 offer, and the current upgrade offer is pretty good deal that no-one else has come close to on any offer anytime.

I had a look at CellC, Vodacom and Telkom's offers from the previous years and only 20GB+20GB at R200 from Telkom last year was okay. Vodacom released their 'specials' early and their lame offerings was laughed at and they ended following up with a limited number of device contracts only slightly sweeter.
Although Telkom bundled minutes with some of their FreeMe packages last year. If they do something similar with their 5GB package then approx R300 for 5GB data, 100 all-net minutes, 3000 Telkom minutes, 2GB whatsapp, 50GB LIT_video and 10GB LIT_music is a pretty appealing deal.

On Friday is what I was told by mtn, also waiting it out to see what else they reveal
One operator told me it expires end of the month, another told me it expires Sunday, and now you're telling me a third operator told you it expires on Friday?

Let's hope they release the official Black Friday deals on Thursday like last year, so we can all make an educated decision.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
I had 30GB when I upgraded to the 10GB package at R150. Expected around 60GB or closer to 50 due to pro rata. What is the promotional entertainment data? Some will expire around 23rd Dec and looks like some will carry over? 2018-11-24%2011.59.48.jpeg 2018-11-24%2011.59.15.jpeg

silkman

Expert Member
By the way.,how long does it take for the upgrade to reflect on the system? I received an sms yesterday saying the application was approved and upgraded but still not showing up on my balances?

Edit: just got the new data etc loaded today

Last edited:

Nangi

Upgraded to the 60+60 this weekend for R299 (Its written 30+30 on the contract, but lady said it would load the other 30+30 as promotional data). I'm currently sitting on 100gb balance due to prorata and the current 50. Explicitly ask for the 60+60 deal. I did it at the Mall of Africa store. The lady had to copy the deal code out of a sticky on her desktop so if the branch is not very savvy with these things you might have a tough time. Seems its not put as an option on the system, but validates if entered manually.

Edit: Its actually upgrade data, not prorata

Suspect99

Expert Member
Did my downgrade over the weekend. 20+10 for R149. So strictly worse than what I had before for the same price

airborne

Executive Member
Did anyone pay a R105 upgrade fee when doing their upgrade?

I was charged that when I did an in store upgrade to the R299 deal this afternoon.

It's not an upfront fee, it'll be billed on the first debit, it was on the contract agreement you have to sign.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Did anyone pay a R105 upgrade fee when doing their upgrade?

I was charged that when I did an in store upgrade to the R299 deal this afternoon.

It's not an upfront fee, it'll be billed on the first debit, it was on the contract agreement you have to sign.
Complain to MTN. Franchise shops frequently do it on their own.
Next time upgrade over the phone or in MTN direct store (not a franchise).