The $2-billion Bitcoin whale that fueled a selloff

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The $2-billion Bitcoin whale that fueled a selloff

When Bitcoin plunged as much as 15 percent over two days last week, a theory emerged -- where else? -- on the Internet: a whale was on the move.

Speculation mounted that a major holder of cryptocurrency with an electronic wallet that dated back to 2011 -- long before anyone had heard of HODL -- was moving to sell.

[Bloomberg]

Corelli

Sorry I sold my coins, so sue me. I have lots more where those came from.

Coinspot, Luno, Bitfinex, etc.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Any whales on MyBB? :p

I never really got into the BitCoin craze - bit more than I can stomach.

Swa

Honorary Master
Crypto still dodgy as hell. Claim there's a whale to cause a sell off then when it's over claim the whale is done to make prices rise.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
Crypto still dodgy as hell. Claim there's a whale to cause a sell off then when it's over claim the whale is done to make prices rise.
At one stage 11 people owned 40% of bitcoins. I am sure a few of them colluded to manipulate the price...

eg2505

Honorary Master
problem is crypto is complete lawlessness,

if this was traditional stocks and bonds, the SEC would have prevented bad things from happening.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
There are price differences between different "exchanges" as well.

ajan

problem is crypto is complete lawlessness,

if this was traditional stocks and bonds, the SEC would have prevented bad things from happening.
What? Your definition of "crypto" is a complete contradiction to what it really is.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Glad I never got into the crypto fever. Years after, it's still as dodgy as it looked like at the start.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Glad I never got into the crypto fever. Years after, it's still as dodgy as it looked like at the start.
Some people made it out in a better position than they have entered, but so many got caught up in the HODL hype. HODL is still paraded, everyone seems to think they are the best advisors.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
To be honest, I don’t easily believe those who are telling their success stories.