The 2010-11 Premier Soccer League Thread

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I decided to get the local football thread started, since the the charity cup is next Sunday. For those that don't know, the local season is made up of the PSL (the main league), the Charity Cup (pre-season friendly tournement), MTN 8 (cup for top 8 teams from last PSL season), Telkom Knockout (cup for PSL teams) and Nedbank Cup (based on FA Cup, with teams from lower leagues).

This years teams in the PSL:

2009-10 position, Team, City, Stadium

1, Supersport United, Pretoria, Super Stadium
2, Mamelodi Sundowns, Pretoria, HM Pietjie Stadium
3, Kaizer Chiefs, Joburg, Rand Stadium
4, Santos, Cape Town, Athlone Stadium
5, Orlando Stadium, Joburg, Orlando Stadium
6, Bloemfontein Celtic, Bloemfontein, Seisa Ramabodu Stadium
7, Ajax CT, Cape Town Stadium
8, Moroka Swallows, Joburg, Dobsinville Stadium
9, Amazulu, Durban, Moses Mabhida Stadium
10, Wits University, Joburg, Milpark Stadium
11, Maritzburg Utd, Pietermaritzburg, Harry Gwala Stadium
12, Golden Arrows, Durban, Chatsworth Stadium
13, Free State Stars, Bethlehem, Charles Mopeli Stadium
14, Platinum Stars, Rustenburg, Royal Ba***eng Sports Palace
15, Mpumalanga Black Aces, Witbank, Puma Stadium
1st in NFD, Vasco da Gama, Cape Town, Bellville Stadium

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The Charity Cup is on this Saturday, and is made up of 4 teams from the PSL. The teams are chosen by a public vote, with the top 4 taking part. Voting closes tonight and the teams will be announced on Tuesday. A draw is done to decide the 2 semi-finals, which are played early in the day, followed by the final in the evening. This year the tournement is back at its traditional home, Soccer City. Tickets are already sold out.

The PSL season starts on Friday 27 August, with a double header at Cape Town Stadium.

Last edited:

JungleBoy

Executive Member
The Charity Cup is on this Sunday, and is made up of 4 teams from the PSL. The teams are chosen by a public vote, with the top 4 taking part. Voting closes tonight and the teams will be announced on Tuesday. A draw is done to decide the 2 semi-finals, which are played early in the day, followed by the final in the evening. This year the tournement is back at its traditional home, Soccer City. Tickets are already sold out.

The PSL season starts on Friday 27 August, with a double header at Cape Town Stadium.
Are you sure the Charity Cup is on Sunday...? In all my years as a local football fan I've never seen it being played on a Sunday.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Charity Cup fixtures:

10am AmaZulu vs Pirates
12pm Chiefs take on Sundowns

5pm Final

stevengzn

Thanks for the info guys.
I'm a huge football fan and I'm extremely embarrassed BUT man enough to say that i have never given our local teams and leagues much attention. I have always only taken an interest in English football. I think and i HOPE the world cup has done wonders to change that!!! I will definitely be supporting out local league from now on!!! And will even be attending some games.

Where is the Charity cup games being played?? presumably soccer city?
Is it this Saturday? 7th August?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm a huge football fan and I'm extremely embarrassed BUT man enough to say that i have never given our local teams and leagues much attention. I have always only taken an interest in English football. I think and i HOPE the world cup has done wonders to change that!!! I will definitely be supporting out local league from now on!!! And will even be attending some games.

Where is the Charity cup games being played?? presumably soccer city?
Is it this Saturday? 7th August?
Glad to see a new PSL fan. The Charity Cup is on this Saturday (7 August) at Soccer City. If you want tickets, you'll need to buy the R450 hospitality tickets, as all the 'normal' seats are sold out. The first game is at 10am, and the final starts at 5pm, Supersport and SABC should both have coverage.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
While there was a Charity Cup thread made in the sports section, I thought that it would be better to post the results in here too. Pirates won the 1st game 1-0 over Amazulu, and Chiefs scored right at the death to beat Sundowns 1 - 0. The final ended in a 1-1 draw, with Chiefs winning the penalty shootout 4-3.

News24

ZimboBoy

It is great news that each PSL team now has their own stadium to call home. It does not suit football to keep changing venues, maybe we shall see smaller clubs getting more fans because until then, the PSL is not a true reflection of football

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It is great news that each PSL team now has their own stadium to call home. It does not suit football to keep changing venues, maybe we shall see smaller clubs getting more fans because until then, the PSL is not a true reflection of football
I agree that it is good, but some matchs, like the Soweto Derbies, should be moved to Soccer City.

ZimboBoy

I agree that it is good, but some matchs, like the Soweto Derbies, should be moved to Soccer City.
I disagree. They should not change venues just because it is a big match. In England, when there is a London derby-they won't play at Wembley because the point is to make your home ground a fortress for the other teach hence we have a thing called home advantage. I think that the PSL should learn from how England manages their teams and implement things like ticket allocations so that for example AmaZulu play Chiefs in Durban, AmaZulu still feel at home with majority crowds

Just a suggestion

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I disagree. They should not change venues just because it is a big match. In England, when there is a London derby-they won't play at Wembley because the point is to make your home ground a fortress for the other teach hence we have a thing called home advantage. I think that the PSL should learn from how England manages their teams and implement things like ticket allocations so that for example AmaZulu play Chiefs in Durban, AmaZulu still feel at home with majority crowds

Just a suggestion
This is a problem with perception, in England teams almost always play at their 'home stadiums' (Arsenal used to host Champions League matches at Wembley) but in many Aus sports, teams often move 'bloackbuster' games to larger venues.

I do wish that more people in cities outside of Joburg would support their local teams though.

MR.C

Expert Member
Yes but AC and inter share a stadium. Soccer City could be used for South Africas biggest derby with majority of tickets going to the 'home' team
It is 'Soccer' city after all...

cr@zydude

Executive Member
MTN 8 fixtures are up:

Friday 20 August 2010
Ajax Cape Town v Mamelodi Sundowns Athlone Stadium 20:00

Saturday 21 August 2010
Moroka Swallows v SuperSport United Dobsonville Stadium 15:00
Kaizer Chiefs v Bloemfontein Celtic Rand Stadium 20:15

Sunday 22 August 2010
Orlando Pirates v Santos Orlando Stadium 15:00

For those that don't know, the MTN 8 is a cup, made up of the teams which finished in the top 8 positions at the end of last season's PSL. The quarter-finals are single legged knock out games, The Semi-finals are two legged knockout games, and the final is played at a neutral venue.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
So tomorrow is the first competitive game of the season, with Ajax taking on Sundowns in an MTN 8 quater final. The game is at Athlone Stadium, and kick off is at 8pm. Haven't been able to confirm which stations the game will be shown on, but Iassue both SABC 1 and SS 4 will have it, since it's the only game if the day.

Anyone care to make a prediction?

R13...

Honorary Master
The game clashes with Generations and we know who wins when that happens.
Sundowns to take it 1-0.

Molach

I heard that the tickets to PSL matches this season has gone up to R40 from R20 last season. Is this true?