The 2013-13 Premier Soccer League thread

R13...

Honorary Master
So Chiefs need 7 points from 4 games:), I think they'll be ok with just 6 though given their superior GD.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
@cr@zydude

Why are you saying Leopards is Bad?

They've been up and down between the PSL and NFD quite a few times, and their performances in the PSL have not been great. They did have good runs in the 2011 Nedbank Cup and 2012 CAF Confederation Cup though. I would like to see them stay up though, so that there is still a team in Limpopo. The league is Gauteng-centric enough, and teams in more cities would be good.

There is only 1 mid-week match:
Tuesday
19:30 SuperSport United v Maritzburg Utd Lucas Moripe Stadium (SuperSport 4)

Fuma

Executive Member
I don't like Leopards I think they had over 10 coaches in the last 2 seasons or so
Bryce Moon fined for pedestrian’s death

Johannesburg - Former Bafana Bafana player Bryce Moon has been fined R60 000, or two years' imprisonment, for culpable homicide, according to reports.

His licence has also been suspended for six months.

Earlier this month, Moon was convicted of culpable homicide for the June 2009 incident in which he hit Zimbabwean domestic worker Mavis Ncube with his Mercedes-Benz on Katherine Road in Sandton.

Ncube had been with her cousin, Thandi Sibanda, and both were on their way to work.

Ncube died later in hospital.

On April 12, Magistrate Vincent Pienaar acquitted the soccer star of attempted murder, negligent and reckless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court. - IOL

Redeemed

Expert Member
They've been up and down between the PSL and NFD quite a few times, and their performances in the PSL have not been great. They did have good runs in the 2011 Nedbank Cup and 2012 CAF Confederation Cup though. I would like to see them stay up though, so that there is still a team in Limpopo. The league is Gauteng-centric enough, and teams in more cities would be good.

There is only 1 mid-week match:
Tuesday
19:30 SuperSport United v Maritzburg Utd Lucas Moripe Stadium (SuperSport 4)
Leopards have only been relegated once, unless I'm mistaken?

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Leopards have only been relegated once, unless I'm mistaken?

Yes, they were only relegated at the end of the 2007-08 season. The had good 8th place finishes in 2001-02 and 2003-04. Their other seasons were mostly near the relegation zone. The club also has a habit of firing coaches.

Last night:
SuperSport United 0 - 0 Maritzburg Utd

Weekend fixtures:
Friday
20:00 Maritzburg Utd v Moroka Swallows Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (SuperSport 4)
Saturday
15:00 Black Leopards v University of Pretoria Peter Mokaba Stadium (SABC 1)
15:00 Free State Stars v AmaZulu Goble Park (SuperSport 4)
18:00 Wits v Orlando Pirates Mbombela Stadium (SuperSport 4)
20:15 Mamelodi Sundowns v Bloem Celtic Pilditch Stadium (SuperSport 4)
20:15 Chippa United v Ajax Cape Town Phillipi Stadium (SABC 1)
Sunday
15:00 Kaizer Chiefs v Platinum Stars Peter Mokaba Stadium (SuperSport 4)
15:00 Golden Arrows v SuperSport United Princess Magogo Stadium (SABC 1)

If Chiefs win, it will put them 9 points ahead of Platinum Stars, with 3 matches to play. Stars are already 13 goals behind Chiefs, thus it would take a miracle for Stars to win, if they lose this game. Pirates are currently 9 points off Chiefs, but have 5 games to play, 4 after this weekend.

The Chippa Ajax match is huge in terms of the relegation fight. Chippa have 20 points and Ajax have 23. I'm personally hoping that Ajax stay up. Chippa has been a circus, and Cape Town Stadium needs a team. I'll be at the Maritzburg game this weekend, glad that PE has a game again.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Another coach down:

Ajax Cape Town coach Jan Versleijen has resigned with immediate effect.

The decision to resign is due to the appointment of former coach Muhsin Ertugral as the new Technical Director.

Kickoff

It looks like Ajax got what they wanted. Versleijen was only contracted until the end of the season, so he wasn't going to make any money by waiting to be fired.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Maritzburg United 0 − 1 Moroka Swallows

Other results:

Mamelodi Sundowns 0 - 1 Bloem Celtic
Chippa United 1 - 1 Ajax Cape Town
Wits 0 - 1 Orlando Pirates
Free State Stars 2 - 1 AmaZulu
Black Leopards 1 - 3 University of Pretoria
Kaizer Chiefs 0 - 0 Platinum Stars
Golden Arrows 0 - 1 SuperSport United

With 3 rounds to go, Chiefs lead on 56, Platinum Stars have 50, and Pirates have 49, with a game in hand. If Chiefs win their next game, and Platinum Stars don't, then Stars are out of the title race. If Chiefs win their next 2 games, they win the title, no matter what Pirates do. At the bottom, Chippa have 21 points, Leopards have 23 and a game in hand and Ajax have 24.

Fixtures:
Tuesday
19:30 Orlando Pirates v Chippa United Orlando Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 Mamelodi Sundowns v Free State Stars Loftus Stadium (SABC 1)
Wednesday
17:00 Ajax Cape Town v Kaizer Chiefs Cape Town Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 University of Pretoria v Bidvest Wits Tuks Stadium
19:30 Moroka Swallows v Golden Arrows Volkswagen Dobsonville Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 AmaZulu v Black Leopards Princess Magogo Stadium
19:30 Platinum Stars v Maritzburg Utd Royal Ba***eng Stadium (SABC 1)
19:30 Bloem Celtic v SuperSport United Free State Stadium

Redeemed

Expert Member
Chippa's new coach still unbeaten, he's been a revelation. Chippa now off the relegation spots with a few games to go.

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Ajax 3-1 Cheifs

If Platinum Stars win tonight, Chiefs will lead by 3 points, with 2 matches to play.

Edit: Stars win 2-0 over Maritzburg. The title race will go down to the wire.

Other results:
University of Pretoria 1 - 2 Wits*
Moroka Swallows 4 - 1 Golden Arrows
AmaZulu 4 - 0 Black Leopards
Bloem Celtic 2 - 1 SuperSport United

After 28 rounds, Chiefs lead on 56, followed by Platinum Stars on 53 and Pirates on 49, with a game in hand. At the bottom, Leopards have 23 and a game in hand, Chippa have 24 and Ajax have 27.

*A special mention to Andre Arendse, who at 45 years, 10 months and four days is now the oldest player to have played in the PSL. He is older than six PSL coaches, Craig Rosslee, Abel Makhubele, Clinton Larsen, Steve Komphela, Manqoba Mngqithi and Steve Barker.

There are no PSL matches this week, due to the Nedbank Cup semi-finals:
Saturday
20:15 Kaizer Chiefs vs United FC FNB Stadium (SS4 and SABC1)
Wednesday
19:30 Platinum Stars vs Supersport Royal Ba***eng Stadium

CAF CC
Saturday
SSU vs Enppi(Egypt) Super Stadium (scores tied at 0-0)

CAF CL
TP Mazembe(DRC) vs Pirates Stade TP Mazembe (scores 1-3)

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Weekend results:
Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 United FC
Chiefs are through to the Nedbank Cup final.

SSU 1-3 ENPPI
SSU lose 3-1 on aggregate, and are eliminated.

TP Mazembe 1-0 Orlando Pirates
Pirates win 3-2 on aggregate, and advance to the group stages.

Well done to Pirates, it's been a long time since SA had a side in the Champions League group stage. This means that SA will earn ranking points, a step towards again having 2 teams in the competition.

R13...

Honorary Master
I wonder if the useless CAF will do anything about TP Mazembe's disgraceful behaviour and what is sounding like, the ref, government, police and everyone were all bent against Pirates. They even chucked out the TV crew to make sure this can't be recorded.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
I wonder if the useless CAF will do anything about TP Mazembe's disgraceful behaviour and what is sounding like, the ref, government, police and everyone were all bent against Pirates. They even chucked out the TV crew to make sure this can't be recorded.

I doubt that anything will happen. I also wouldn't trust the SABC as for as I could throw them. They have lied about broacasting matches before.

R13...

Honorary Master
I doubt that anything will happen. I also wouldn't trust the SABC as for as I could throw them. They have lied about broacasting matches before.

True, and I wonder how they planned on broadcasting the match with what sounds like a crew of two. In any case it does sound like some **** went down as Pirates survived two penalties and a red card to get through.

Redeemed

Expert Member
SABC crew thrown out of the stadium and arrested so TV blackout for South Africa, Pirates captain red-carded in the first half. The hosts given two penalties, one of them at the death when Mazembe needed just one goal to triumph.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
There is only 1 fixture tonight:
19:30 Black Leopards v Mamelodi Sundowns Peter Mokaba Stadium (SuperSport 4)

Wednesday
Nedbank Cup semi
19:30 Platinum Stars vs Supersport United Royal Ba***eng Stadium (Supersport 4)

Saturday's fixtures:
15:00 Orlando Pirates v Mamelodi Sundowns Orlando Stadium (SuperSport 4)
15:00 SuperSport United v Moroka Swallows Lucas Moripe Stadium
15:00 Golden Arrows v Platinum Stars Princess Magogo Stadium (SuperSport Blitz)
15:00 Bloem Celtic v Free State Stars Free State Stadium (SABC 1)
15:00 Wits v AmaZulu Bidvest Stadium
15:00 Maritzburg Utd v Ajax Cape Town Harry Gwala Stadium
15:00 Chippa United v University of Pretoria Philippi Stadium

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Last night's result:

Black Leopards 2-5 Mamelodi Sundowns

That leaves Leopards bottom with 23 points from 28 games. Chippa have 24, Ajax have 27 and Golden Arrows have 28. Those are the clubs facing relegation. The team finishing last will be relegated, while 15th place goes into a play off to stay up.

In the NFD, Black Aces have 44 points from 27 games. Thanda have 42 from 25 as do Santos, United have 40 from 26. The champion is promoted, while the 2nd and 3rd placed teams go into the play off.