The 2013-13 Premier Soccer League thread

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Supersport won 3-2, and will play Kaizer Chiefs in the Nedbank Cup final on 25 May.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Some scenarios for this weekend:

If Platinum Stars do not win, Kaizer Chiefs, should win the title. Stars will then not be able to reach more than 56 points, Chiefs 'current total. Even if Chiefs lose both their matches, they are currently 9 goals ahead of Stars. If Chiefs win on Tuesday, after Stars don't win, they will win the PSL.

If Pirates lose, they will be out of the title race. They need at least a draw, to stand a chance of winning. If they draw, they will need Chiefs to lose on Tuesday. If they win, they need Chiefs not to win either of their 2 matches.

At the bottom, if Ajax win, they cannot finish 16th. If Chippa do not match their result, they will be safe from relegation. If Golden Arrows win, they are safe.

Fuma

Executive Member
I feel bad for Platinum Stars. They deserve something. Nedbank should have been theirs and the league going chips way.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I feel bad for Platinum Stars. They deserve something. Nedbank should have been theirs and the league going chips way.

They deserve fans who show up at the stadium! The team is doing amazingly well, it's just sad that people in Rustenburg don't support them. Cavin Johnson could be coach of the year.

Kbeat

And Kaizer Chiefs win the league without playing. I am so proud of my team. I've been chasing this championshin for the past few seasons. I was in Polokwane last Sunday and flew to Cape Town on a Wednsday and still we couldn't clinch it. I am over the moon.

Kbeat

Some scenarios for this weekend:

If Platinum Stars do not win, Kaizer Chiefs, should win the title. Stars will then not be able to reach more than 56 points, Chiefs 'current total. Even if Chiefs lose both their matches, they are currently 9 goals ahead of Stars. If Chiefs win on Tuesday, after Stars don't win, they will win the PSL.

If Pirates lose, they will be out of the title race. They need at least a draw, to stand a chance of winning. If they draw, they will need Chiefs to lose on Tuesday. If they win, they need Chiefs not to win either of their 2 matches.

At the bottom, if Ajax win, they cannot finish 16th. If Chippa do not match their result, they will be safe from relegation. If Golden Arrows win, they are safe.

You got it wrong, Pirates are out even with a draw, remember they can only reach 55 points and Chiefs is at 56. Chiefs are the Champs.

R13...

Honorary Master
Well technically they haven't won it as Platinum Stars still have a mathematical chance :D

Kbeat

They deserve fans who show up at the stadium! The team is doing amazingly well, it's just sad that people in Rustenburg don't support them. Cavin Johnson could be coach of the year.

And what if Baxter in both the PSL and the Nedbank ? This being his first season at Chiefs, dont you think he'll deserve to be the coach of the year?

R13...

Honorary Master
Hhahahha dream on, I was sipping my Champaign today. We are the Champions, period.

I remember a season long ago when Downs and Chiefs were separated by goal difference. The Tsichlas still owned Downs and Natasha promised to go to court if Chiefs made up the goal difference in their last game. I think it was 8 and Chiefs won 4-1, but the Tsichlas were an entertaining lot.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Well done Kaizer Chiefs. While Platinum Stars are technically in the running, it's over. Great seasons for both teams though.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Weekend results:

Maritzburg Utd 1 - 1 Ajax Cape Town
Wits 3 - 1 AmaZulu
Bloem Celtic 2 -2 Free State Stars
Orlando Pirates 0 - 1 Mamelodi Sundowns
SuperSport United 0 - 0 Moroka Swallows
Golden Arrows 2 - 1 Platinum Stars
Chippa United 2 - 2 University of Pretoria

Chiefs lead with 56 points from 28 games, Platinum Stars have 53 from 29. Chiefs need just 1 point from their match on Wednesday to win the title. At the bottom, Leopards have 23 from 28, Chippa have 25 from 29 and Ajax have 28 from 29. A point for Ajax in their last match should see them stay up.

Wednesday's fixtures:
19:30 Kaizer Chiefs v SuperSport United Peter Mokaba Stadium (SuperSport 4)
19:30 Orlando Pirates v Black Leopards Orlando Stadium (SuperSport Blitz) and (SABC 1)

Saturday's fixtures(final round):
15:00 University of Pretoria v Kaizer Chiefs Mbombela Stadium (SuperSport 4) and (SABC 1)
15:00 Orlando Pirates v Maritzburg Utd Orlando Stadium
15:00 Mamelodi Sundowns v Wits Lucas Moripe Stadium
15:00 Moroka Swallows v Bloem Celtic Volkswagen Dobsonville Stadium
15:00 Ajax Cape Town v Golden Arrows Athlone Stadium
15:00 Free State Stars v Black Leopards Goble Park
15:00 AmaZulu v Chippa United Moses Mabhida Stadium
15:00 Platinum Stars v SuperSport United Royal Ba***eng Stadium (SuperSport Blitz)

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Chiefs 1-1 SSU

And now the title race is offically over. Well done Kaizer Chiefs. They will lift the trophy on Sunday, at Mbombela Stadium.

Kbeat

Thank you Crazydude. We deserve it. We played well in the first round and collected lots of points. The second round was much tougher and we must thank Sundowns and Golden Arrows, otherwise it would have been much tougher.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The nominees for the PSL (league) awards have been announced:

Absa Premiership Coach of the Season:
Stuart Baxter (Kaizer Chiefs)
Cavin Johnson (Platinum Stars)
Clinton Larsen (Bloemfontein Celtic)

Absa Premiership Goalkeeper of the Season:
Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs)
Senzo Meyiwa (Orlando Pirates)
Ronwen Williams (SuperSport United)

Absa Premiership Young Player of the Season:
Tshepo Gumede (Platinum Stars)
Ronwen Williams (SuperSport United)
Bongani Zungu (University of Pretoria)

Absa–lutely Awesome Goal:
Mor Diouf (SuperSport United) vs Mamelodi Sundowns, 10 March 2013
Fikru Lemessa (Free State Stars) vs Kaizer Chiefs, 16 February 2013
Sifiso Myeni (Orlando Pirates) vs Free State, 10 November 2012

My picks are in bold. There doesn't seem to be a league player of the season anymore, only the PSL (overall, league and cups) Footballer of the Year award.

Kbeat

Why Cavin Johnson over Stuart Baxter? To me Baxter is my choice, in his first season with Kaizer Chiefs he won the PSL Champion ship and he is in the Nedbank cup final. He also didnt have an influence in buying players, he had to work with what he has. Similar challenges to if not worse to Cavin. So why Cavin?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Because Baxter had a bigger and stronger squad to work with. He is also the more experianced coach. I think that given what he had to work with Johnson did a better job. He will finish 2nd in the league, and made the Nedbank Cup semis. For Platinum Stars, that's an amazing season.