The 2013-13 Premier Soccer League thread

R13...

Honorary Master
The season is done, but I think that everyone saw this one coming:

News24

I wonder how much Wits paid to get him released. Poor Clive Barker, he did such a good job, and now he's getting the boot.

I don't think Clive wanted the job in any case, it was just a stop gap till they could get Gavin over. I think Clive prefers to work near Durban.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
- Leopards fired coaches
- They will start using Thohoyandou Stadium and Makhuvha Stadium as alternatives
- Core squad wants to remain with the team
- New coach to be announced before 25 June

I can see why they would leave Peter Mokaba. They barely draw fans as it is, and in the NFD they will go into cost cutting mode.

I don't think Clive wanted the job in any case, it was just a stop gap till they could get Gavin over. I think Clive prefers to work near Durban.

He was with Amazulu before Wits, as Director of Football. Not sure what's next for him, but he did a great job for the short time that he was at Wits. The team seems set on making a real title chase, and their purchases (on and off the field) look serious.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Chippa United and Santos drew 0-0 last night. Chippa play Mpumalanga Black Aces on Saturday.

This is also crazy:

Johannesburg - Gavin Hunt has become one of the highest paid coaches in the Premier Soccer League (PSL), thanks to his monthly salary of R750 000 at new club Wits, according to a report on the Sowetanlive website.

Hunt quit SuperSport United on Wednesday to join The Clever Boys where he was given a signing-on fee of R10 million.

He has signed a three-year deal with an option to renew for another 12 months.

News24

R750 000 per month is huge, but that R10 million signing bonus is beyond belief. Wits really have the money to spent, but you have to wonder how much Supersport made out if this deal.

Cool E

Expert Member
Chippa United and Santos drew 0-0 last night. Chippa play Mpumalanga Black Aces on Saturday.

This is also crazy:

News24

R750 000 per month is huge, but that R10 million signing bonus is beyond belief. Wits really have the money to spent, but you have to wonder how much Supersport made out if this deal.
Student fees to increase drastically.

R13...

Honorary Master
Lol, the club has very links to the university. Tuks FC is still run directly by the University of Pretoria though.

Wits used to be the same, but they are pretty much a standalone pro team now only the origins remain

craigdoepie

Expert Member
Wanted to get people's opions on Mabhuti Khanyesa's (excuse spelling) punishment for spitting on an official.

For those who don't know, he got suspended for 12months and I personally think that is ridiculous. Not saying what he did is not punishable, but for 12 MONTHS ?? Only in SA

R13...

Honorary Master
Wanted to get people's opions on Mabhuti Khanyesa's (excuse spelling) punishment for spitting on an official.

For those who don't know, he got suspended for 12months and I personally think that is ridiculous. Not saying what he did is not punishable, but for 12 MONTHS ?? Only in SA

That seems fair to me, even lenient maybe. You can go to jail for spitting on someone.

cr@zydude

Executive Member

I'd say that the ban is right, but goes against the PSL's usual precedent. I like that Blackburn Rovers'(in the NFD) chairman got a 4 year ban for hitting a ref. The problem is that the fans who attacked a referee each got fines, and clubs keep getting suspended fines for crowd control problems.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

Great news. Footballers across the globe treat officials like trash. Try comparing how a rugby ref and football ref are treated by the players. There is no such thing as reprimanding, crowding or gesticualting towards a rugby official and if he tells a player to back off, he backs off.

FIFA should do more to clean up the act of footballers. Diving to get players booked/sent off (which really is unsportsmanlike conduct), abusive/disrespectful behaviour towards officials, all has to stop. ''Fair Play'' my arse.

Last edited:

dbecks

Executive Member

It is ridiculous - he should of got a longer ban!

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Black Aces beat Santos 2-1 last night, to go top of the play-off table.

The PSL also has a new CEO:

As predicted by the Siya crew earlier today, the Premier Soccer League have today announced Brand de Villiers as the league’s new Chief Executive Officer

Soccer Laduma

R13...

Honorary Master
I see Santos lost to Chippa and are now out of contention for returning to the PSL.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I see Santos lost to Chippa and are now out of contention for returning to the PSL.

Yes, after their match, Santos are on 1 point, with 1 match to play. Aces have 6 points and Chippa have 4. Chippa play Aces on Wednesday, and a draw for Aces will put them into the PSL. I am hoping that Mpumalanga Black Aces get promoted, so that the province has a PSL side next season.

KOPITE

Executive Member
Yes, after their match, Santos are on 1 point, with 1 match to play. Aces have 6 points and Chippa have 4. Chippa play Aces on Wednesday, and a draw for Aces will put them into the PSL. I am hoping that Mpumalanga Black Aces get promoted, so that the province has a PSL side next season.

Its not gonna happen buddy. Black Leopords seem to have won the court case, but its going to the High Court. Santos will get automatic promotion. I wonder how Aces or Chippa feel when they hear the news that they going back to the 1st Division.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Black Aces are back in the PSL, barring any legal challenges. It's good to have an Mpumalanga team back in the league.

Its not gonna happen buddy. Black Leopords seem to have won the court case, but its going to the High Court. Santos will get automatic promotion. I wonder how Aces or Chippa feel when they hear the news that they going back to the 1st Division.

I don't know about a Leoprad's challenge. I know that Thanda still have a case at arbitration, which could change everything though.