The 2017 end-of-year rugby union internationals

sand_man

Honorary Master
Pvr'd the game, been a dull opening 10 minutes but just got worth it at 10:16

And the expressions on the crowds faces?, priceless.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-28/wallabies-beat-barbarians/9096142

Wallabies beat Barbarians 31-28 in tight Sydney rugby clash

The Wallabies have come from behind to record an unconvincing 31-28 win against the Barbarians in a scrappy exhibition match at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Saturday's five-tries-to-four win might have come at a high cost with forwards Lukhan Tui (hamstring) and Jack Dempsey (knee) leaving the field with injuries, putting them in some doubt for the tour of Japan and Europe.

The Barbarians led 21-12 at half-time after out-scoring the Wallabies three tries to two in the first 40 minutes, with the second-string Australian side struggling with their unstructured play.
Good comeback... that is all I can say, not a good game.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan XV has gone down against the World XV 47-27. I must say, the best Japanese players were Panasonic’s men on Deans side.

I don’t know where Jamie Joseph will get a side picked to play the Wallabies… Poor game plan, poor discipline. Though Joseph may call this an experimental Japanese side it was only 6 uncapped players in a 25-player squad.

Why the Japanese must play a typical Highlanders game is beyond me. Pull Deans in as coach and play like the Wild Knights.

Wallabies to beat them by 30.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan is going to be demolished by Australia. Akihito Yamada, Shuhei Matsuhashi, Ryohei Yamanaka and Male Sa'u had to be pulled out. They have lost their depth in the backline and on the loose.

Apparently, Yoshikazu Fujita will be called up which played for the World XV, but he has been excluded in the extended squad.

Wallabies by 40+

If Japan wins, the Wallabies will need to do some soul searching...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan is going to be demolished by Australia. Akihito Yamada, Shuhei Matsuhashi, Ryohei Yamanaka and Male Sa'u had to be pulled out. They have lost their depth in the backline and on the loose.

Apparently, Yoshikazu Fujita will be called up which played for the World XV, but he has been excluded in the extended squad.

Wallabies by 40+

If Japan wins, the Wallabies will need to do some soul searching...
Additionally, they called up Panasonic's #10 Takuya Yamasawa which also represented the World XV. It seems Robbie Deans may have made some recommendations to Jamie Joseph...

Those interested in the Japan XV vs World XV highlights,

[video=youtube;lm4GTisWBzY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm4GTisWBzY[/video]

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Bok squad for EoyT

Springbok squad:

Forwards: Uzair Cassiem, Lood de Jager, Ruan Dreyer, Dan du Preez, Jean-Luc du Preez, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Wilco Louw, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Teboho Mohojé, Franco Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Coenraad Oosthuizen, Mahlatse Ralepelle

Backs: Lukhanyo Am, Curwin Bosch, Andries Coetzee, Ross Cronjé, Damian de Allende, Warrick Gelant, Elton Jantjies, Jesse Kriel, Dillyn Leyds, Rudy Paige, Handré Pollard, Raymond Rhule, Louis Schreuder, Courtnall Skosan, Francois Venter
Surprised to see Francois Louw included. He was banned for four weeks for eye gouging. I guess he'll be eligible for the last game then?

My starting XV for the Ireland game

1: Kitshoff
2: Marx
3: Louw
4: Etzebeth
5: Mostert
6: Kolisi
7: du Toit
8: Cassiem
9: Cronje
10: Pollard
11: Lleyds
12: Venter
13: de Allende
14: Kriel
15: Coetzee

We seem a bit thin on loose forwards as well as centres (no Serf or RJvR). The backline (in whatever guise) just doesn't inspire confidence so I suspect this could be a very forward orientated push for victory.

DanDango

Executive Member
Bok squad for EoyT

Surprised to see Francois Louw included. He was banned for four weeks for eye gouging. I guess he'll be eligible for the last game then?

My starting XV for the Ireland game

1: Kitshoff
2: Marx
3: Louw
4: Etzebeth
5: Mostert
6: Kolisi
7: du Toit
8: Cassiem
9: Cronje
10: Pollard
11: Lleyds
12: de Allende
13: Venter
14: Kriel
15: Coetzee

We seem a bit thin on loose forwards as well as centres (no Serf or RJvR). The backline (in whatever guise) just doesn't inspire confidence so I suspect this could be a very forward orientated push for victory.
FTFY

Sl8er

Executive Member
Ugh.
I'm not so sure about Bosch, but Dreyer just shouldn't be there.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
He probably will end up at inside (with Kriel at outside) but DDA hasn't fired at 12, so I thought a run at 13 would be worth a try where he'd hopefully have a bit more space. Venter is quite a creative player so he might be able to create said space.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Very happy for Am and Gelant, guys have been doing the business to get a look in. Rest, pretty same old same old .... Dreyer, no bloody words, he has zero use apart from giving penalties :rolleyes:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Rob du Preez called up by the Baa-Baas for their match against the AB's at Twickers on November 11th.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;LLBbt3wskhk]https://youtu.be/LLBbt3wskhk[/video]

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...wledge-will-see-them-past-brave-blossoms.html

Rugby: Wallabies hope local knowledge will see them past Brave Blossoms

Australia assistant coach Stephen Larkham said Wednesday the Wallabies head into Saturday's rugby international with Japan at Nissan Stadium knowing they are prepared both on and off the field.

A win over the All Blacks two weeks ago ensured the team are confident in their ability to beat anyone in the world, while the benefit of local knowledge will help them settle in quickly to their new surrounds following an overnight flight from Sydney.

"It does make things a bit easier," said former Ricoh Black Rams flyhalf Larkham, who won 102 caps during his illustrious career with the Wallabies.

"There is a Japanese side in Super Rugby and we play them every year and there are a number of ex-pat Aussies playing over here. So we know the landscape well and the culture and we have done our homework."

And as Larkham, who was a key cog of the Australia side that won Rugby World Cup 1999, pointed out, "the more chances we get to come here and know the layout," the better it is for 2019 when Japan hosts rugby's premier tournament.

"It is invaluable to get to a venue before a World Cup. Knowing the (2019) final will be played at the stadium we play in on Saturday is a bonus," he added.

"We know they have a number of threats," said defense coach Nathan Grey, who played for and coached Kyuden Voltex from 2003 to 2011 and who like Larkham was in the team that beat France in the 1999 World Cup final.

"They have (Amanaki Lelei) Mafi at No. 8 who last week was named the Australian (Conference) Super Rugby Player of the Year," following a standout season with the Melbourne Rebels.

"Their whole back row are effective ball players and carriers and (Kotaro) Matsushima can play wing or fullback or slip in at center and create a lot of opportunities, so is a player we need to be aware of."

Both teams were expected to name their sides Wednesday for the test match, the fifth meeting between the two nations. But injuries have forced both to delay the announcement until Thursday when Japan Rugby 2019 are also set to reveal the match schedule for RWC 2019.

Larkham, however, indicated that the Wallabies -- who have beaten Japan in all four encounters, including a 91-3 win last time out at Rugby World Cup 2007 -- would be looking to put out their strongest available side, despite three potentially tougher games on the horizon.
I still say the Wallabies will crush them, the Brave Blossoms hardly have a team...

DanDango

Executive Member
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/barrett-leads-all-blacks-against-baabaas-20171102

Teams:

Barbarians

TBA

New Zealand

15 David Havili, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Seta Tamanivalu, 10 Beauden Barrett (captain), 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Jerome Kaino, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Vaea Fifita, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Nepo Laulala, 2 Nathan Harris, 1 Kane Hames

Substitutes: 16 Asafo Aumua, 17 Tim Perry, 18 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Sam Cane, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Lima Sopoaga, 23 Matt Duffie

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan vs Australia

Japan:

01. Keita Inagaki
02. Shota Horie
03. Takuma Asahara
04. Kazuki Himeno
05. Uwe Helu
06. Michael Leitch (c)
07. Shunsuke Nunomaki
08. Amanaki Mafi
09. Fumiaki Tanaka
10. Rikiya Matsuda
11. Ryuji Noguchi
12. Harumichi Tatekawa
13. Timothy Lafaele
14. Lomano Lemeki
15. Kotaro Matsushima

16. Atsushi Sakate
17. Koki Yamamoto
18. Asaeli Valu
19. Wimpie van der Walt
20. Fetuani Lautaimi
21. Yutaka Nagare
22. Yu Tamura
23. Sione Teaupa

Australia:

01. Scott Sio
02. Tatafu Polota-Nau
03. Sekope Kepu
04. Rob Simmons
05. Adam Coleman
06. Ned Hanigan
07. Michael Hooper (c)
08. Sean McMahon
09. Nick Phipps
10. Reece Hodge
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Tom Robertson
18. Allan Alaalatoa
19. Matt Philip
20. Ben McCalman
21. Lopeti Timani
22. Joe Powell
23. Curtis Rona

Wholesale changes (and some experimental) to Japan. Wallabies made some experimental changes, but is mainly due to Bernard Foley and Israel Folau being absent.