The 2017 end-of-year rugby union internationals

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Kings had a reasonably successful 2017 Super Rugby campaign and that with a squad of nobodies.

They were a joy to watch!!
Allister Coetzee had a reasonably successful Super Rugby career...

The Boks don't need ''reasonably successful'', they need world class. But world class won't touch us because of the non-sporting factors at play.

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm just thinking of their performance in the current Pro 14 tournament.
Yeah, they been poor but they had their entire squad gutted at the end of Super Rugby. They living off scraps in an established league and competition that prides itself on the strength of the clubs competing in it.

The Boks don't need ''reasonably successful'', they need world class. But world class won't touch us because of the non-sporting factors at play.
Coetzee had a squad comprising the whose who of SA rugby. That's the fundamental difference.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Look, Johan Ackermann should have been given the job!! But no one scores own goals like SARU score own goals...

He's already had a profound effect on Gloucesters rugby in a relatively short period of time! He's been lauded as their savior.

The mind boggles, we continue to tamely relinquish our talent to foreign leagues.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

I will stick to what I had to say here,

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/926090-Springbok-rugby-coach-developments?p=20797600&viewfull=1#post20797600

people are completely missing the plot here, like the columnist Heinz Schenk. Rassie is completely responsible over the team in his position. Rassie is what Eddie Jones is to England. Davids will do good in this role as deputy to Rassie, and knowing that Rassie has applauded Davids since Super Rugby you may presume that the two are in communication heading up to this possibility. As I have said, rather have two men working together than against each other.

I have an idea that Rassie opted to go with Davids due his quick turnaround time on squad cohesion, so Davids is a peoples’ person. Davids has done so in each rugby role he has been in.

You need to worry about the two other returning names being mentioned,

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/926090-Springbok-rugby-coach-developments?p=20806712&viewfull=1#post20806712

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I think that was just a typo. Apparently it was meant to be Pieter de Villiers, the former SA born French prop. As for Stick? *cringe*

sand_man

Honorary Master
people are completely missing the plot here, like the columnist Heinz Schenk. Rassie is completely responsible over the team in his position. Rassie is what Eddie Jones is to England. Davids will do good in this role as deputy to Rassie
So in effect Rassie replaces AC?

Look, Johan Ackermann should have been given the job!! But no one scores own goals like SARU score own goals...

He's already had a profound effect on Gloucesters rugby in a relatively short period of time! He's been lauded as their savior.

The mind boggles, we continue to tamely relinquish our talent to foreign leagues.
Do you really think he wanted the job?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I will stick to what I had to say here,

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/926090-Springbok-rugby-coach-developments?p=20797600&viewfull=1#post20797600

people are completely missing the plot here, like the columnist Heinz Schenk. Rassie is completely responsible over the team in his position. Rassie is what Eddie Jones is to England. Davids will do good in this role as deputy to Rassie, and knowing that Rassie has applauded Davids since Super Rugby you may presume that the two are in communication heading up to this possibility. As I have said, rather have two men working together than against each other.

I have an idea that Rassie opted to go with Davids due his quick turnaround time on squad cohesion, so Davids is a peoples’ person. Davids has done so in each rugby role he has been in.

You need to worry about the two other returning names being mentioned,

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/926090-Springbok-rugby-coach-developments?p=20806712&viewfull=1#post20806712
My bad, I should've checked that thread.

Okay, there does seem to be a bigger picture. Rassie's judgement should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
SA Rugby player awards nominations. From Supersport.com

SA Rugby Player of the Year

1 Eben Etzebeth

2 Siya Kolisi

3 Jaco Kriel

4 Malcolm Marx

5 Jan Serfontein

SA Rugby Young Player of the Year

1 Curwin Bosch

2 Jean-Luc du Preez

3 Warrick Gelant

4 Malcolm Marx

5 Damian Willemse

Team of the Year

1 Emirates Lions (Vodacom Super Rugby runners up)

2 Springbok Sevens (HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series winners)

3 DHL Western Province (Currie Cup Premier Division and Supersport Rugby Challenge winners)

Coach of the Year

1 Johan Ackermann (Emirates Lions)

2 John Dobson (DHL Western Province)

3 Neil Powell (Springbok Sevens)

Steinhoff Springbok Sevens Player of the Year

1 Chris Dry

2 Werner Kok

3 Rosko Specman

Junior Springbok Player of the Year

1 Juarno Augustus

2 Curwin Bosch

3 Damian Willemse

Vodacom Super Rugby Player of the Tournament

1 Jaco Kriel (Emirates Lions)

2 Malcolm Marx (Emirates Lions)

3 Franco Mostert (Emirates Lions)

Currie Cup Premier Division Player of the Year

1 Nizaam Carr (DHL Western Province)

2 Robert du Preez (DHL Western Province)

3 Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

Currie Cup First Division Player of the Year

1 Jaun Kotze (Down Touch Griffons)

2 Tertius Maarman (Down Touch Griffons)

3 Jeandré Rudolph (Leopards)

SuperSport Rugby Challenge Player of the Year

1 Craig Barry (DHL Western Province)

2 Enver Brandt (Tafel Lager Griquas)

3 Shaun Reynolds (Xerox Golden Lions XV)

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Marx
JL Du Preez
Springbok Sevens
Ackerman
Dry
Willemse
Marx
Robert Du Preez
No idea who any are
No idea who any are

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Marx
JL Du Preez
Springbok Sevens
Ackerman
Dry
Willemse
Marx
Robert Du Preez
No idea who any are
No idea who any are
Lol me neither. But I would pick Craig Barry, just based on that try he scored for the Cheetahs this past weekend against the Scarlets. Go check it out if you haven't already.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Lol me neither. But I would pick Craig Barry, just based on that try he scored for the Cheetahs this past weekend against the Scarlets. Go check it out if you haven't already.
Yep,

[video=youtube_share;lKUmyvwybv8]https://youtu.be/lKUmyvwybv8[/video]

Luckily, he is only on loan to the Cheetahs. WP (Stormers) needs him next year.

EDIT:

He is on loan until next year June and will only return to WP to participate in the Currie Cup.

oh i saw that, left right left right left right score!