The 2018 Rugby Championship

JK1

Was it a poor performance from the All Blacks or did they perhaps show weakness because they havent been under pressure like today for a long time?

Did not watch the whole game but the bits and pieces I saw they were clearly feeling massive pressure.

Well done Boks. We can do it. Why do we wait till 99 to deliver the best?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12125157

Rugby: Badum tish! All Blacks coach Steve Hansen calls South Africa 'favourites'
The All Blacks coach couldn't even start answering the question without letting out a chuckle, perhaps anticipating an opportunity to land another one of his zingers.

"You always remember the last ones, not the ones before that," he said while cracking a wry smile.
The one before that, of course, was a 57-0 thrashing of the Boks in Albany, one of the All Blacks' most dominant performances in recent years.

"The last one could have gone either way and if we're really honest, should've gone South Africa's way," Hansen continued.

"So they should probably be the favourites, I reckon."
Badum tish. Hansen barely managed to keep a straight face while delivering the line, his expression basically the personification of a massive wink face emoji.
Leading up to this game, Hansen pulled a Jones… when the game is too big, when a drop goal is the last thing on the mind. Imho, I’m glad the Springboks pulled one over the All Blacks.

mandana

Expert Member
Really happy we won but it's irritating that they only produce good games against the all blacks but loose to everyone else on a whim

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Really happy we won but it's irritating that they only produce good games against the all blacks but loose to everyone else on a whim
The Supersport panel called exactly what I said previously in this thread. They played as a team today, very little individualism was present. Not to mention that both our 10s, on the same pitch due to circumstance handled the game with excellence, no criticism. We made our line play today. Two pivots leading with leadership.

Just by observation, we made the All Blacks play our rugby, although they did better at the impact they couldn’t hold onto the ball. Reminiscence

They are already condemning themselves, and Nigel Owens,

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12125888

Rugby: How referee Nigel Owens' missed call killed the All Blacks
The All Blacks have been delivered a painful but potentially valuable lesson by the Springboks. The key for them now once they digest their first defeat by the old enemy in New Zealand since 2009 is how they learn from it.
This was a gut-wrenching loss in a test they had many opportunities in the final minutes to win, and there will be scrutiny on referee Nigel Owens, who ignored a offside message from one of his assistants as the clocked ticked over 82 minutes.

The voice in Owens' ear as the All Blacks attacked the Boks relentlessly said, "nine and eight offside". For whatever reason, the experienced Welshman ignored the advice. Had he awarded the penalty it would have been in front of the posts and a near certain three points for a dramatic All Blacks win.

Speaking of goalkicking, we might need to have a conversation about Beauden Barrett's. He missed four, three of which were from relatively easy angles, including his conversion attempt for Ardie Savea's late try which would have levelled the score, and at no time appeared to consider handing the tee to his little brother Jordie.

A draw would have left a sour taste but it's better than a loss and after their comeback it would have been a minor triumph.

Vernon

Expert Member
Faf was awesome.
Aaron Smith was pulled off after 49 mins. A big part of that was because of the pressure de Klerk imposed on him.

greg0205

Honorary Master
The Supersport panel called exactly what I said previously in this thread. They played as a team today, very little individualism was present. Not to mention that both our 10s, on the same pitch due to circumstance handled the game with excellence, no criticism. We made our line play today. Two pivots leading with leadership.

Just by observation, we made the All Blacks play our rugby, although they did better at the impact they couldn’t hold onto the ball. Reminiscence

Wait, what?

I was worried that Owens was going to put his back out carrying the ABs over the line in those last ten minutes.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

Ref made a couple of bad calls against us too.

Sour grapes - they lost :ROFL:

sand_man

Honorary Master
What a game?! Unbelievable! Wow! This was probably the first Bok test ever I wasn't able to watch live due to family responsibilities.

Sensational!! Psdt man of the match! Haven't seen the tackle stats but he was unreal!! Having said that supreme team effort! Simply Supreme!!

Napalm2880

Expert Member
What a game?! Unbelievable! Wow! This was probably the first Bok test ever I wasn't able to watch live due to family responsibilities.

Sensational!! Psdt man of the match! Haven't seen the tackle stats but he was unreal!! Having said that supreme team effort! Simply Supreme!!
Something like 28 tackles made if I'm not mistaked. MASSIVE!

DanDango

Executive Member
ON ATTACK

TRIES
New Zealand - 6
South Africa - 5

METRES CARRIED
New Zealand - 633
South Africa - 245

CARRIES
New Zealand - 205
South Africa - 59