The 2018 Rugby Championship

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Argentina has been awesome this far.
No arguments there. But one thing this NZ side is renowned for, is learning from and rectifying mistakes. I can't see them losing to Argentina. And no doubt they will send their strongest possible team there to wrap up the championship before they arrive on SA shores for their match against us in Pretoria.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Excellent performance by the boks. Whiteley and diyanti man of the match for me.

Not getting the praise for PSTD there were 4 tackles I saw him miss and 2 occasions were he was too slow.
We must have been watching different games... PSTD made 28 tackles! He was absolutely everywhere! I'm his biggest critic but today he was immense! Whiteley too!! Diyanti had a good game but nowhere near motm IMHO.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Excellent performance by the boks. Whiteley and diyanti man of the match for me.

Not getting the praise for PSTD there were 4 tackles I saw him miss and 2 occasions were he was too slow.
Yes, Whiteley was awesome on defence. 20 tackles. But Peter-Steph du Toit and Franco Mostert both beat that at 24 tackles, according to the Sanzar stats. I thought PSduT made a few more. Also, at least 4 of his tackles really counted, though Whiteley did have one try-saving tackle at 7m in front of the posts. Btw, I'd still like to see Whiteley take his rightful place as captain. He's a good player but really excels as captain.

What makes this defensive win even more delicious is that for half of the critical final quarter we were a man down. WlR, not a slouch defender, was only back for the final 4 minutes.

sand_man

Honorary Master
On a side note a whole host of high profile SA players turned out for the Stade francais/Toulon fixture.

For Stade, Willem Albert's (had a huge game), morne steyn (also had a good game, don't think he missed a single kick), piet van zyl, Marcelle van Der merwe, coach Heyneke Meyer.

Toulon, Jaundre Kruger, Jacques potgieter, jp pieterson

Commentators have been commenting a lot about the Bok win yesterday too.

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
On a side, La Rochelle home matches have been sold out since Jan 2016. So every home game for over 2 years has been sold out. Okay, it’s only a 16k seater but still....

SAguy

Expert Member
I see there's some complaining about a late offside from 8 and 9 that the touch reff called, but Nigel didn't hear/ignored.

I don't seem to find any footage of that moment, anyone know what they're referring to?

Cray

Honorary Master
I see there's some complaining about a late offside from 8 and 9 that the touch reff called, but Nigel didn't hear/ignored.

I don't seem to find any footage of that moment, anyone know what they're referring to?
This article, haven't watched the footage in question though...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12125888

Rugby: How referee Nigel Owens' missed call killed the All Blacks

The All Blacks have been delivered a painful but potentially valuable lesson by the Springboks. The key for them now once they digest their first defeat by the old enemy in New Zealand since 2009 is how they learn from it.
This was a gut-wrenching loss in a test they had many opportunities in the final minutes to win, and there will be scrutiny on referee Nigel Owens, who ignored a offside message from one of his assistants as the clocked ticked over 82 minutes.
The voice in Owens' ear as the All Blacks attacked the Boks relentlessly said, "nine and eight offside". For whatever reason, the experienced Welshman ignored the advice. Had he awarded the penalty it would have been in front of the posts and a near certain three points for a dramatic All Blacks win.
Speaking of goalkicking, we might need to have a conversation about Beauden Barrett's. He missed four, three of which were from relatively easy angles, including his conversion attempt for Ardie Savea's late try which would have levelled the score, and at no time appeared to consider handing the tee to his little brother Jordie.

smkungfu

Looked more like he was milking penalties for the Kiwi's. We won a turnover and he called it short. What does that even mean?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Well the ref, the AR's and the TMO all 'missed' Kieran Read diving head/shoulder first into a ruck (from the side no-less) where Willie le Roux was yellow carded. So swings and roundabouts...

DanDango

Executive Member

Nigel missed a good game. Like the side entry from Read just before Willie's yellow card.

This post above reminds me...

The Boks must get all confident now, they still need to beat Japan who has a 100% win ratio against them before they can feel confident again...