The 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup Thread

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Agreed. NZL and ENG should've shared that trophy after match, notwithstanding the super-over.

There used to be the rule that if a game ended in a tie after 50 overs, the team who put that score up first is the winner.
Yes or the team that lost fewer wickets in the 50 overs win.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Agreed. NZL and ENG should've shared that trophy after match, notwithstanding the super-over.

There used to be the rule that if a game ended in a tie after 50 overs, the team who put that score up first is the winner.
Hell no this is a World Cup, there can only be one winner. I have no time for this Libby nonsense of sharing the trophy.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
If you hit more boundaries, it also then means you had more dot balls when you tie.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Yes or the team that lost fewer wickets in the 50 overs win.
Cricket never had wickets down count towards a result it had always been runs. The number boundaries thing is a carry over from T20 cricket and really doesn't scale well to 50 overs. A continuation with another super seems the best way forward in the future.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
The best world cup final from a spectacle point of view.

I was rooting for NZ. In the end it could have gone either way. A tie and then a tied super over... The drama was fantastic!

Well done England... World champs on a technicality :p

Cray

Honorary Master
I dont see any kiwis whining about this. Only Saffers.....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...rmer-black-caps-blast-boundary-countback-rule]

Cricket World Cup final: Former Black Caps blast boundary countback rule

"I feel really empty, and a bit cheated," former Black Caps all-rounder Dion Nash said.

"Clearly, it's ridiculous... really absurd.

"It's about as random as tossing a coin.

"I think it's a shame, that we've played a tournament which has gone for 48 games, and yet it's decided by someone getting out a piece of paper and a pen and picking apart the bones," he said.

"New Zealand's strength throughout this tournament has been about rotating the strike, our strength hasn't been boundaries, so it seems a bit of a shame to be judged by that all of a sudden.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Cricket never had wickets down count towards a result it had always been runs. The number boundaries thing is a carry over from T20 cricket and really doesn't scale well to 50 overs. A continuation with another super seems the best way forward in the future.
The DLS uses wickets in its calculation.

Pitbull

Verboten
All this whining and crying.

The rules where 100% clear before the start of the game. Each and every player know what needs to be met in order to win. England won fair and square within the confines of the law. No amount of biatching will change that fact.