The 5 coolest electric cars you can buy in 2020

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
The 5 coolest electric cars you can buy in 2020

Electric vehicles will take centre stage over the next few years, with many major carmakers overhauling their production processes to churn out battery-powered cars.

Tesla currently leads the pack in public opinion with its popular Model 3 and Model S vehicles, but competition is heating up as big motor companies aim to challenge for their share of the growing market.

Whright

Somehow the words Electric and cool in the same sentence just does not sound right.

Naks

Expert Member
Somehow the words Electric and cool in the same sentence just does not sound right.
If you'd driven one, you wouldn't be saying that.

The BMW i3 is super quick off the line, amazing acceleration. And my daily drive is a Supercharged V8 ;)

Whright

If you'd driven one, you wouldn't be saying that.

The BMW i3 is super quick off the line, amazing acceleration. And my daily drive is a Supercharged V8 ;)
I won’t dispute that, but take fuel costs and tree hugging emissions out the equation, as a daily drive, would you stick to V8 or battery’s

Naks

Expert Member
I won’t dispute that, but take fuel costs and tree hugging emissions out the equation, as a daily drive, would you stick to V8 or battery’s

Electric, no doubt about it.

And picture this: a range rover-type 4x4, with each wheel driven by its own electric motor. That thing would be almost unstoppable off-road.

Whright

Electric, no doubt about it.

And picture this: a range rover-type 4x4, with each wheel driven by its own electric motor. That thing would be almost unstoppable off-road.
Just stay clear of any water and ensure one does not travel out to far off the beaten track, unless you tow a generator behind you to charge the batteries.

Jokes aside, have you seen Arnold Schwarzenegger’s merc G wagon he converted to electric, it’s a beast

quovadis

Expert Member
Just stay clear of any water and ensure one does not travel out to far off the beaten track, unless you tow a generator behind you to charge the batteries.
The range of most Teslas is 300-500km per charge. Take into consideration that there's charging almost everywhere in North America (with preferential parking) and probably more places to charge than they have gas stations it's not really much of a problem - including off the beaten track.

Naks

Expert Member
Yeah, and I still don't understand why the cars' roof is not a solar panel to help recharge the batteries

quovadis

Expert Member
Yeah, and I still don't understand why the cars' roof is not a solar panel to help recharge the batteries
Even if you covered the entire car with solar panels the current generated and charging capability would be negligible. The PV technology isn't there yet.

dabbler

Expert Member
I would like to know how the range is affected by using an air-conditioner, headlights and music system, all on at the same time.

Whright

The range of most Teslas is 300-500km per charge. Take into consideration that there's charging almost everywhere in North America (with preferential parking) and probably more places to charge than they have gas stations it's not really much of a problem - including off the beaten track.
I wonder when we will see the first electric car in the Dakar race.

quovadis

Expert Member
I wonder when we will see the first electric car in the Dakar race.
I think it's inevitable that at some stage all racing will be electric or at least hybrid. Interestingly though, as far as the FIA is concerned Formula E has a 25 season license for exclusive use of an all-electric motor/power unit thus even if F1 or other rally/endurance racing wanted to go all-electric tomorrow it would require some interesting agreements/permissions to be granted.

To answer your Q: https://electrek.co/2017/01/16/all-electric-car-dakar-rally-acciona/

Last edited:

quovadis

Expert Member
Do note the Porsche Taycan is pronounced as "Tie-con".

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/porsche-taycan.959653/
I suspect the Taycan will do very well with Porsche enthusiasts. The only criticism I would give is that they went with a less-than-standard 800v battery spec - they will need to invest heavily in infrastructure else will fail on the convenience side - would've been nice if they were Tesla compatible for charging.