The 69TB man — The biggest fibre hogs in SA

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
The 69TB man — The biggest fibre hogs in SA

South Africa's fibre-to-the-home network traffic has continued to climb over the first half of 2021.

This is according to four prominent fibre ISPs who recently provided feedback to MyBroadband on data usage by their home fibre customers.

Cool Ideas, Cybersmart, Mweb, and RSAWEB all recorded significant increases in traffic during the first six months of the year compared to the same period in 2020.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And MyBB keeps using the title.
And I don't believe RSAWeb's figures.

SZN

Expert Member

0ac8129e50a8f4d0f61e02ffbf5b1f87.jpg

MEG101

On a 1Gbps line you can use more or less 10TB data per day if you download 24/7. It is really not that difficult since a 50mbps line can chunk through over 400GB per day. So if a 100mbps line can pull about 1TB per day, then ranking up a 30TB usage in a month, is not too far fetched, since most Netflix content is 4k and 1 hour 4k streaming can use 10GB. Youtube has 8k content and downloading itself on 1Gbps can use 300GB+ data per hour since it downloads average of 100mbps on steam and through file sharing protocols. Xbox one games average between 70 to 120GB per game downloads and updates. I have seen huge montly usage on some friends lines and my usage on 40mbps PureDSL so far for July is over 4TB.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Most likely offsite backups for a business, each night pulling multiple TB to a home somewhere :p

JimboBob

Expert Member

Exactly!
I have a 100Mb line which I never fully use.
I joked with friends that I should share my wifi with neighbours (live in a complex) and charge them like R100/m.

While it might not answer the 24/7 usage, it is an interesting theory.
Is it even allowed, to become a private 'reseller'?

MEG101

Exactly!
I have a 100Mb line which I never fully use.
I joked with friends that I should share my wifi with neighbours (live in a complex) and charge them like R100/m.

While it might not answer the 24/7 usage, it is an interesting theory.
Is it even allowed, to become a private 'reseller'?
As far as I know, it is against Terms and Conditions on any ISP contract signed that provides Home Fiber. My theory is that you as a customer sign up for a fiber service that you pay a fixed montly fee. If it is sold as uncapped unshaped unthrottled, then you should be able to use the internet like you want without any restrictions. Just keep an eye on Terms and Conditions of the ISP before you sign on the dotted line...

Ricard

Expert Member
He most probably paid for it... why is this a 'Name and Shame' kind of thing ... The HOG.

3 kids, 2 adults on Netflix, Disney+, Steam games, Work development (one AOSP android download will drink 60GB of data)

I am on 95TB down/ 1TB up on my home fibre line.. not in ZA though. Data is a necessity, not a luxury.