The 76TB man – South Africa’s biggest bandwidth hog in the lockdown

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So what do those arrows mean? What interpretation should we put on them? Are you a net provider of content to others?
If the use referred to is a consumer of services, then the report is relevant to the spirit of the report. But if the figures include service providers, then what is the fuss about?

Neo_X

Expert Member
That is really ridiculous.... unless he is sharing out his connection to multiple people.

no reason at all to use that amount of capacity in a personal capacity. downloading to a cloud server etc yes, but then the transfer stays at the datacenter.
no way in hell that i will be paying ~R50k a month to store all that. ( +- 10 x 8TB hard drives + server + power, not even counting the man-hours spent to sort out everything downloaded)

Bobbin

Executive Member
I can't really think of many legal scenarios where that usage is plausible. Curious.
I mean say if the power bill of a residential unit spikes tenfold inexplicably, of course you're going to be thinking meth lab or something :laugh:

2.5TB's a day? hmmm... Not even daily backups over a VPN will normally achieve that. Is the guy not even using dedup/compression? haha. Or he needs to look at archiving asap! :p

Maybe a webserver of sorts?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I just see internet noobs in this thread. You guy know the internet is not just for watching peppa pig and funny facebook videos the whole day right?

76TB is surprising low actually.

A 200/100 line can do ~60TB download and ~30TB upload in a month maybe a bit more. So what about the 200/200, 500/500, 1000/100 and 1000/1000 lines?

Leaving a popular torrent seeding a month could easily eat 10TB upload bandwidth.

R180 p/m gives you an unlimited google drive with unlimited file size. That and a 1/1Gbps uncapped unshaped line you can fill that drive up with a lot of content. Then host a plex or emby server and all your content is local served from google. Mount the google drive in Windows like a harddrive and boom you are sorted storage is never an issue again.

Download something. Then save it on the google drive which will upload it. Then stream it on your TV or pc directly from the drive. One 20GB file can easily rack up 80GB of upload and download bandwidth.

gdrive_unlimited.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
Gsuite Business

1 user is actually discounted now $9.6 but $12 normal price and since the exchange rate is messing with us now it's a bit more.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Drive Unlimited cloud storage (or 1TB per user if fewer than 5 users)

So for unlimited you will need to pay 6 * $9.60

The Magster

Perhaps this chap is copying and backing up the entire internet in case something horribly goes wrong during or after lockdown and the web ceases. Then he can be the only one to visit the internet? :p
Stranger things have happened. o_O

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I just see internet noobs in this thread. You guy know the internet is not just for watching peppa pig and funny facebook videos the whole day right?

A 200/100 line can do ~60TB download and ~30TB upload in a month maybe a bit more. So what about the 200/200, 500/500, 1000/100 and 1000/1000 lines?

Leaving a popular torrent seeding a month could easily eat 10TB upload bandwidth.

R180 p/m gives you an unlimited google drive with unlimited file size. That and a 1/1Gbps uncapped unshaped line you can fill that drive up with a lot of content. Then host a plex or emby server and all your content is local served from google. Mount the google drive in Windows like a harddrive and boom you are sorted storage is never an issue again.

Download something. Then save it on the google drive which will upload it. Then stream it on your TV or pc directly from the drive. One 20GB file can easily rack up 80GB of upload and download bandwidth.

View attachment 814685
Jisis, how much do you pay for that?

zulucat

Some idiots will take advantage - what in the f... are you doing with 76TB of data? My entire estate would'n't use that in a month... that's for sure!!!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Probably live in a complex and share his line with 5 other units.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

View attachment 814685
But tell me why?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I must admit that its fun as hell watching people get upset about this, and going "What the hell can some legally do 76TB with in a month" and and and...

I seem to remember these same discussions a few years ago when the first guys were pushing 1TB a month...