The Accidental Mayor: Herman Mashaba and the battle for Johannesburg

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I reckon he'll be okay. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing him back as mayor.
He was breath of fresh air. I wish municipalities were run by civilian administrations and not politicians

3WA

Honorary Master
He was breath of fresh air. I wish municipalities were run by civilian administrations and not politicians

He's a politician, and he learned fast. I voted for him in 2016, and thought it might be a mistake. First time I heard him on radio, he was a disaster. Abrupt, angry, hostile. Three months later, he was a natural, schmooze for days.

R13...

Honorary Master
Mixing with the EFF did the DA huge harm.
True.
But it also showed how ill prepared they were to rule outside of their WC powerbase. They tried to be representative without laying the ground work in making sure their people were ready and of integrity. They failed miserably in Tshwane even without the EFF's help. Things turned out better (from governance PoV) in the EC because the had a strong candidate. A strategy that worked in the WC from when they first won the city. Always installed a strong person as mayor and then premier.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Mixing with the EFF did the DA huge harm.
Failing to manage the coalition did them a lot of harm. Coalitions are the feature in politics, especially at local government level where it's more about service delivery than party ideologies. The sooner their right wing supporters realise that the better for them.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Failing to manage the coalition did them a lot of harm. Coalitions are the feature in politics, especially at local government level where it's more about service delivery than party ideologies. The sooner their right wing supporters realise that the better for them.
You simply cannot work with criminal organizations.

yebocan

Honorary Master
totally do able, get community buy in, get the rate payers associations involved in your ward, other local community associations, local religious institutions....put forward a local independent candidate...this is how you start to remove local politicians .

yebocan

Honorary Master
True.
But it also showed how ill prepared they were to rule outside of their WC powerbase. They tried to be representative without laying the ground work in making sure their people were ready and of integrity. They failed miserably in Tshwane even without the EFF's help. Things turned out better (from governance PoV) in the EC because the had a strong candidate. A strategy that worked in the WC from when they first won the city. Always installed a strong person as mayor and then premier.

Correct, agree in general, except for the EC assertion +They could not replicate their WC success, they do not have the loyal party human capital capacity that CoCT was build on.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
He's a politician, and he learned fast. I voted for him in 2016, and thought it might be a mistake. First time I heard him on radio, he was a disaster. Abrupt, angry, hostile. Three months later, he was a natural, schmooze for days.

I have to disagree, Mashaba is not a politician. By his own admission, he's a businessman and a capitalist. I haven't read the book yet but after reading both those articles it's clear that there were big issues on both sides.

For me the biggest reason for the breakdown is the DA pushing Mashaba into the position of mayor without any prior experience in political governance. Mashaba is a bold, strong minded person who likes to do things his way and I don't think the DA fully understood Mashaba vision for COJ and how it conflicted with the DA position - e.g. the illegal immigrant issue.

Secondly, I don't think the DA were ready to effectively run the biggest city in the country. COJ has been mismanaged for decades and everything from billing to infrastructure is a complete disaster. I think Mashaba had a great plan for fixing all of these things and he made good progress but I don't think they had the right people supporting Mashaba and they sure as hell were not all on the same page.

Third. Instead of putting the EFF in their place like the naughty little schoolchildren they are, Mashaba, for whatever reason, decided to abandon the DA and climb into bed with the EFF. What the actual ****! Apart from losing all respect amongst his colleagues in the DA, he lost all respect from the DA voters, including myself.

As for Zille throwing shade at Mashaba. I have deep respect for both of them as leaders but they have both made MASSIVE political mistakes that have cost the DA dearly in terms of reputation and voters and both should fall on their swords.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
I like Herman.
Read the piece on politicsweb linked above it was pretty interesting. I also liked Herman, but some of the stuff he said toward the end was in direct contradiction to his moral barometer going in. This made me seriously question if he could be trusted and it was echoed in that piece by Helen. Some people don't like Zille and she has her own opinions, but in all these years I have never seen her lie. I believe what she says is true.

He went from hero to zero in a few years. Political power corrupted him fast - another few years and he'll be unrecognizable from his original self.

3WA

Honorary Master
I have to disagree, Mashaba is not a politician. By his own admission, he's a businessman and a capitalist. I haven't read the book yet but after reading both those articles it's clear that there were big issues on both sides.

For me the biggest reason for the breakdown is the DA pushing Mashaba into the position of mayor without any prior experience in political governance. Mashaba is a bold, strong minded person who likes to do things his way and I don't think the DA fully understood Mashaba vision for COJ and how it conflicted with the DA position - e.g. the illegal immigrant issue.

Secondly, I don't think the DA were ready to effectively run the biggest city in the country. COJ has been mismanaged for decades and everything from billing to infrastructure is a complete disaster. I think Mashaba had a great plan for fixing all of these things and he made good progress but I don't think they had the right people supporting Mashaba and they sure as hell were not all on the same page.

Third. Instead of putting the EFF in their place like the naughty little schoolchildren they are, Mashaba, for whatever reason, decided to abandon the DA and climb into bed with the EFF. What the actual ****! Apart from losing all respect amongst his colleagues in the DA, he lost all respect from the DA voters, including myself.

As for Zille throwing shade at Mashaba. I have deep respect for both of them as leaders but they have both made MASSIVE political mistakes that have cost the DA dearly in terms of reputation and voters and both should fall on their swords.

Why is politician mutually exclusive with businessman/capitalist? Mashaba was certainly inexperienced to start with, and that may be why he swung so dramatically to EFF, but towards the end he seemed to be fully immersed in the political game. To me it would also seem that's why he jumped ship after the return of Zille - not for idealogical reasons but simply because he no longer viewed the DA as a winning horse. I doubt anyone can change idealogy so quickly.

Agree with you that both Zille and Mashaba both made huge mistakes, but they've been dealt bad hands (similar to Ramaphosa as well) - forced to share power with criminal elements.

In fact, being able to contain criminal elements is going to be a part of any government going forward. Integrity is not a common South African value - there simply aren't enough honest South Africans to fill all government positions. Even the DA will often end up with a caucus where one or two people backstab them and vote with the opposition - no party can find enough honest people to fill all their seats. Dishonest people swarm to politics - they flood out the honest few like schit in a sewage pipe.

Having a leader who can manage and contain the criminals while grinding KPIs is about as good as we can hope for in South Africa.