The adoption of Android 9 is absolutely shameful

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
The adoption of Android 9 is absolutely shameful

iPhone and Android users are constantly at war over which operating system is superior, but despite the various advantages offered by Android its proponents can't deny that its update rollout is dismal.

This is especially true in comparison to Apple's roll out of updates for its iOS platform, which are usually delivered to all devices at the same time - and support iPhones and iPads which are several generations old.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Pie is currently the biggest failure to date. The masses abroad do not like it. It simply took away too much functionality from smartphones. I will never update to Pie. If I am ever forced, I will rather move to iOS. Hopefully this will be the end of the road for Google. Time for a new company to take over the Android OS market.

Praeses

Expert Member
Getting monthly updates on my OnePlus 6 on Android 9.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Pie is currently the biggest failure to date. The masses abroad do not like it. It simply took away too much functionality from smartphones. I will never update to Pie. If I am ever forced, I will rather move to iOS. Hopefully this will be the end of the road for Google. Time for a new company to take over the Android OS market.
What functionality did it take away?

eg2505

Honorary Master
what I've come to realize from smartphone (android) users is people are like sheep,

as for Android, many older phones NEVER get a OFFICIAL upgrade, and the manufacturers want to force you to buy a NEW model.
as then they can sell you a new model, and all the associated costs with that, like cell contracts, casings, headphones ect,

solution, find gimmicks, like multiple cameras, to sell you a new phone.
same thing with upgrades, DONT release upgrades, till you buy another phone, that it will come with anyway.

think its a bit too early to be saying uptake is too low, wait till people upgrade, then measure again.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
What functionality did it take away?
A lot, mostly all functions related to privacy of people calling you, one of them, being call recording. Hell, Google even removed the function to mute camera shutters as you will be able to take silent photographs without a person's permission. And then there are the removal of a large number of apps on the playstore and smaller functions such as the ability to backup SMS's and many more.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
A lot, mostly all functions related to privacy of people calling you, one of them, being call recording.
Given that Google is a global player and Android is used worldwide, call recording is illegal in many countries, so the dev choice to remove it makes lots of sense.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Given that Google is a global player and Android is used worldwide, call recording is illegal in many countries, so the dev choice to remove it makes lots of sense.
It does, doesn't it? Unfortunately for Google, the backlash is evident in most countries abroad and on the biggest Android forums too. The uptake is dismal with hundreds of thousands of Android users stating they will not upgrade to Pie and many, many leaving back to iOS. Just go do some reading up on the biggest Android forums.

Perhaps South Africans will be content, they do not have much other options in any event.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It does, doesn't it?
Ummm, yeah... you dev so that your solution is compliant in as many regions as possible... the places where call recording is legal, don't make it illegal to not have the functionality.

Though I don't know why I bother, you have zero clue about product development choices on a global scale.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Pie is anything but a failure. Battery life enhancements are really great and the entire OS is a bit more refined in almost every respect.

Android is a fundamentally different product to iOS. Pie was never intended to be a major upgrade over Oreo, so it makes sense that manufacturers with heavily bloated OS's haven't rushed to update their firmware.

Anyone who cares about having an Android device with constantly up-to-date firmware wouldn't buy a Samsung, LG, Huawei etc. You're buying into the firmware that those manufacturers produce, which some people may love, so the focus should be on what they're creating and not what Google is supplying manufacturers to work with.

Getting monthly updates on my OnePlus 6 on Android 9.
Same. Can't recall when my OP6 got Pie. Quite a while ago.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Ummm, yeah... you dev so that your solution is compliant in as many regions as possible... the places where call recording is legal, don't make it illegal to not have the functionality.

Though I don't know why I bother, you have zero clue about product development choices on a global scale.
True, hence the reason most of Google's venture outside its advertising portfolio turns to s**t eventually and come crashing down. They should rather stick to advertising.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
True, hence the reason most of Google's venture outside its advertising portfolio turns to s**t eventually and come crashing down. They should rather stick to advertising.
Comes crashing down and turns to shyte? Really...

You are aware that their search engine is the market leader.
Android holds nearly 75% market share in the smartphone market
Google Cloud holds 10% market share in that space
The list goes on son...

You really should shut up about things that are beyond you to grasp.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Comes crashing down and turns to shyte? Really...

You are aware that their search engine is the market leader.
Android holds nearly 75% market share in the smartphone market
Google Cloud holds 10% market share in that space
The list goes on son...

You really should shut up about things that are beyond you to grasp.
As you were Professor Durban...

rambo919

Expert Member
ToxicBunny needlessly conflating again... Android holing market share has nothing directly to do with other google products..... no phone stays king forever. Many people are frustrated with android in general and want something else, that something else will inevitably come because android does not hold a similar type of grip on phones as microsoft has on pc's.... it might seem the same but it's very tenuous at this point.