The African Bank credit card thread

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Doesn’t look bad.

ATM fees blow

International Fees aren’t bad though

Bank prestige isn’t super important but African bank is bottom draw in terms of rep

whatwhat

Executive Member
"Make a great impression without uttering a single word."

Yeah, you show that waiter that you got a gold card! Maybe he'll suck your dink afterwards.

ebrahim786

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll load funds first via easypay wait for it to clear then withdraw

nicalitz

Went through a lot of effort over the past few days to get my African Bank CC set up. Just thought I'd give a recollection of my experience, even if only for reference purposes.

Unless you have a very specific reason for doing so (as pointed out in some previous posts), I would strongly recommend agains using AB. They are not a traditional transactional bank like FNB, ABSA, etc. They specialize is small loans, and have only recently started offering a credit option. Most of the staff that I've encountered at various branched don't really know what credit is or how it works. It is very difficult to get information for anyone.

They have two options for credit, silver and gold (blue for existing customers, but I don't believe it is available for new applications). It is notoriously difficult to secure approval for either options. They seem very averse to risk, and will only approve if your living costs are much much lower that your income. They are no clear requirements for either card. They enter your salary and monthly expenses into their system and it generates an offer. You can either take it or leave it.

The silver and gold options are very similar apart from the following:
- The interest rates on the gold card are slightly lower
- The silver card requires a fixed monthly deposit into CC account, even if no credit is used. The account and life insurance fees are deducted from this fixed amount, the rest is paid into your account.
- For the gold account, you are only required to make payments if you have used some portion of your credit and your account shows a negative balance on either the 1st or 21st of any given month (they seem to decide which of the two dates based on when your salary is paid).

As a final note, they've only recently implemented an online system, which at this stage seems very inconsistent. System is down quite often and not all that easy to subscribe to.

Zulfi

Expert Member
I just ended up using the ABCC as my normal credit card to be honest. What I found works best for withdrawals as I only need abt R2k cash a month is just loading it up on wechat wallet then pulling R1k at a time.
So you link your AB CC to your WcW?

ebrahim786

I just ended up using the ABCC as my normal credit card to be honest. What I found works best for withdrawals as I only need abt R2k cash a month is just loading it up on wechat wallet then pulling R1k at a time.
Just got the gold card from the branch today, they activated but said they still have to upload further docs on their system and it will take a day or so to activate. Apparently I will receive an Sms indicating its activated. I agree, extremely frustrating process which I wouldn't have bothered with but for the ebucks. Max withdrawal is 4k at till point as confirmed by the sales agent.

ebrahim786

Just got the gold card from the branch today, they activated but said they still have to upload further docs on their system and it will take a day or so to activate. Apparently I will receive an Sms indicating its activated. I agree, extremely frustrating process which I wouldn't have bothered with but for the ebucks. Max withdrawal is 4k at till point as confirmed by the sales agent.
But as indicated earlier be sure to load funds first and not use the credit extended to avoid paying interest

Zulfi

Expert Member
Yip, at the end of the day whatever works easiest for you. So the R2k withdrawal costs R10. Guys I have had the card for almost 3 months. Its def worth it but there is a bit of a pain to sort out initially after a month you will be glad you got it and have all the kinks resolved.
I hope it works out for me.. gonna give t a shot next week or the following week again...

Why not link the CC to slide app? No charge and money straight into you cheque acc

Speedster

Honorary Master
I hope it works out for me.. gonna give t a shot next week or the following week again...

Why not link the CC to slide app? No charge and money straight into you cheque acc
At the moment Slide seems to have blocked AB cards. They are on it though, hoping to have the issue sorted next week.

ebrahim786

How do you login to African Bank online, I received a password via Sms but no username

Tinuva

The Magician
How do you login to African Bank online, I received a password via Sms but no username

id# works the first time at least.

I managed to lock myself out, now I have to in to unlock the online profile /sigh

ebrahim786

id# works the first time at least.

I managed to lock myself out, now I have to in to unlock the online profile /sigh
Thanks, tried that but not working. Will have to call them tomorrow. Painful is an understatement

Speedster

Honorary Master

I registered on the website before they updated to the new site. Not sure how registration works on the new platform.