The age of hacking brings a return to the physical key

koeksGHT

Dealer
Standard Bank still has the little blue code generator for logging into business account?

cpu.

Expert Member
So had a quick think about this... So let's say someone gets into your internet banking.... What damage can he do that benefits him as well?
On Fnb, when on a new (untrusted) browser, device etc, you need to enter one of your cards' front number and its pin (new beneficiaries etc). Some other activities on the app will also require this, like changes to limits iirc.

Last edited:

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
never, but why would a hacker waste their time with someone who doesn't have money? :confused:

:D :D :D

You laugh, but their systems say otherwise: They offer commission free forex and extremely secure internet banking - those aren't targeting peasants.

Petec

Expert Member
Capitec also does that if I'm not mistaken, we'll it pops up in the app asking you to confirm with your pin on the app.

Yebo. That's what I LOVE about Capitec. They take security seriously.

Petec

Expert Member
Also, talking security on local level.

I have all my locally saved login files axcrypted, and they can only be opened by the correct password, and a security key code that is saved on a portable memory stick that has also being bitlockered.

Add to that, I only copy / paste (keylogger twarting) all the info I need to type in, and I am pretty happy. Was a ballache to get used to in the beginning, but peace of mind is better than a login taking 5 seconds faster.

JJCT

Expert Member
I have a ABSA account that I don't really use, I just have a fixed account and a credit card which I will probably be closing soon. In the advert for their new app which I actually don't like they said they have fingerprint login but I don't see a option to use it.

That being said I would never use fingerprint recognition with banking it seems very unsafe.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Not sure if this is a new approach - using ASLR to combat hacking.

https://www.vusec.net/projects/anc/

Address space layout randomization or ASLR in short is a first line of defense against attackers targeting Internet users. ASLR randomizes the location of an application’s code and data in the virtual address space in order to make it difficult for attackers to leak or manipulate the data or reuse the code in order to compromise the application. Combined with the no execution bit for data enforced by all modern processors, ASLR makes it harder to compromise systems.

Swa

Honorary Master
Been using this for ages with Truecrypt. Also have WAY more than 27 passwords. Why is every reference in the article to 'her'?