The alternatives to Windows 10 if you are tired of broken updates

ekske1

Executive Member
What a load of bollocks. Your experience does not reflect on the rest of windows users.

Let me clarify, on my desktop I use Win10 purely for gaming. Win10 has had some serious update issues compared to previous versions. Just the other day my Win10 got deactivated prompting you to buy a new licence, ms fixed that. Deleting peoples files after an update is a very serious issue which I fortunately did not suffer from. Besides gaming I also rely on ms office but truth be told WPS Office does a great job in handling MS excel & word files to the point that you don't need ms office. Win10 updates are the worst I've experienced in my life just comparing to previous windows versions.

If it was not for gaming I would not use Win10. I find linux updates much more stable and they don't chow gigs of data. This coming from a rolling distro like Arch.
Agreed. What a load of bollocks. Your experience does not reflect either on some of us.

To clarify I had no issues with my 3 boxes running w10. In fact I had more issues with arch and arch like on my ThinkPad Yoga 15...

eg2505

Honorary Master
What I don't get. You can emulate an entire pc. You can emulate Dos and other OS's and even consoles but nobody has a working Windows emulator.

Why Win10? It's probably the worst when it comes to game compatibility.

well cant you run win on a mac in virtual mode? and cant you run a virtualbox on linux running windows? and cant one run win on certain macbooks with bootcamp?
so thats not strictly 100% true,

but this is what you get when software is designed by a business for profit, and not for ease of use and maintainability. and long life

you get mongrels like mac and windows.

thank the heavens, windows phone failed, and IOS is nowhere near the market share that android has.

I suppose the usage for phones and PC's are different, as you dont spend hours working on your phone, like you do on a PC.

now if somebody could make a software that runs everything, but isnt windows,
similar to XP almost, that would be interesting to watch.

1anRoux

I use linux mint and im very happy. Easy to setup a dual boot and works great.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I'm running Windows 10 at work, home, laptop, everywhere. I do understand people have had issues, but for me, the ONLY thing I have as a complaint is the enforced updates - and even these I wouldn't mind if data was free.

It's been stable for my needs.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
1543560109264.png

Not sure why people struggle, probably cause of all the crap they install on Windows 10, we have zero issues with updates, still have a few to upgrade from 7 and 8 to 10. Windows are clearly too advanced for most users to look after :p:p

AVTecnoJunkie

lol what an absolute garbage article. Another anti-Windows nerd rant.

My Windows 10 is perfectly fine, thank you very much.
Well aren't you the lucky one. I have been on Windows 10 for just over a month and have so far had 145 hours of Windows support and they cannot fix severe performance issues introduced by a cumulative 1803 update. All Office 2016 apps now take 18-20 times longer to open and are frequently non responsive. Spreadsheets that took 1 second to open 2 weeks ago now take 20 seconds. So in my opinion Windows 10 is a heap of scrap.

Reactions: OCP

Knyro

PhD in Everything
Haha suckers. I'm still using win 7, but use linux most of the time.

You'll have to pry Win 7 from my cold, dead hands.

Also tbh I wouldn't recommend linux as an alternative to anybody but hyper geeks, who 10 to 1 know about it anyway. You think Win 10 issues are bad, wait till linux refuses to load the GUI or connect to wifi, and get ready for hours of terminal command-fu.

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Well aren't you the lucky one. I have been on Windows 10 for just over a month and have so far had 145 hours of Windows support and they cannot fix severe performance issues introduced by a cumulative 1803 update. All Office 2016 apps now take 18-20 times longer to open and are frequently non responsive. Spreadsheets that took 1 second to open 2 weeks ago now take 20 seconds. So in my opinion Windows 10 is a heap of scrap.

Seems someone does not know what they are doing at your place if that's the case

Trompie67

Expert Member
Haha suckers. I'm still using win 7, but use linux most of the time.

You'll have to pry Win 7 from my cold, dead hands.

Also tbh I wouldn't recommend linux as an alternative to anybody but hyper geeks, who 10 to 1 know about it anyway. You think Win 10 issues are bad, wait till linux refuses to load the GUI or connect to wifi, and get ready for hours of terminal command-fu.

This. We run 4 x laptops & 3 x desktops all with Win 10. Have had zero issues.

Tried Ubuntu. More like Ukaku. Drivers for the printer? ermm, nope. Printer is only 4 years old, so hardly ancient. Try a different (older) printer. Nope nope nope.

I want to get on with work, not faf around trying to get stuff to function before I can do any work. Crikey, kids can print from their iphone/ipads direct using samsung app to the printer, but ubuntu could not using a wired connection.

Libre office - the excel equivalent is a joke. We run complex financial spreadsheets for DCF valuations in Excel. Easy & hassle free. Libre cannot, it simply does not have the macro functions to do so.

All the above niggles may have been fixed/rectified since we tried this 2 odd years ago, but really, unless you want to faf it's easier to just use MS products.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I have 2 Macbooks (1 Air for personal use and travelling and 1 Pro for work) and a Windows 10 PC.

My PC gives me less issues than the Macbook Pro when it comes to performance.

Doesn't mean I dislike MacOS.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Suggesting OSx is akin to suggesting to an alkie that they should have a few doubles to help calm down the shakes, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather roll back to Win 95 thanks.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
What broken updates? I have windows 10 on a pc and a laptop, both up to date, never had a single issue.