The answer to DStv - Supersonic LTE with Netflix

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The answer to DStv - Supersonic LTE with Netflix

Supersonic has launched its fixed-LTE packages in South Africa, offering a fibre-like broadband service that runs on MTN's LTE network.

This is great news for people who live in areas without fibre coverage but still want high-speed broadband.

Apogee

This should be marked as 'partner content', although Supersonic was probably just invited to a cup of coffee, seeing as they are down the hall from Mybb.

Gazg

We heard about this 3 days ago.........
Its MTN........so no thanks.

Groggyme

This is like R150 cheaper than the Telkom Wireless Broadband LTE 100 gb offer. Why are people so mad?

Nuro

Expert Member
Some quick back of the envelope calculations:
If you stream Netflix at 1080p, you are looking at a bitrate of 450 kB/s. This works out to about 1.5GB per hour. If you spend your 60GB Anytime data on just streaming, you are looking at less than 1.5 hours of streaming per day. Of course you can stretch this by just streaming 720p. 60GB anytime data is nothing for streaming.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
On average, we spend 25 GB per day watching VOD content... 120 GB is a drop in the ocean... it's not even 120 GB, it's 60GB.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Some quick back of the envelope calculations:
If you stream Netflix at 1080p, you are looking at a bitrate of 450 kB/s. This works out to about 1.5GB per hour. If you spend your 60GB Anytime data on just streaming, you are looking at less than 1.5 hours of streaming per day. Of course you can stretch this by just streaming 720p. 60GB anytime data is nothing for streaming.
I have 100+100 from vodacom @ R609pm including vat.

I set netflix to 0.3GB/H
With that setting and me only watching youtube on 240p when at home, and us hardly ever opening dstv prime or showmax, we usually last just about a month...

If the netflix agreement thingy means we get to stream unlimited netflix I would be very interested.
Till then, I'll carry on as I am.

Totempole

Expert Member
I have 100+100 from vodacom @ R609pm including vat.

I set netflix to 0.3GB/H
With that setting and me only watching youtube on 240p when at home, and us hardly ever opening dstv prime or showmax, we usually last just about a month...

If the netflix agreement thingy means we get to stream unlimited netflix I would be very interested.
Till then, I'll carry on as I am.
I've found that using ThePirateBay instead fo Netflix is a great way to stay on top of your usage. :D

Totempole

Expert Member
Not if it's H265 HEVC HE-AAC...
Pretty sure that's not what you'll be getting on Netflix's 0.3GBs per hour setting that Astroturf uses and still cuts it fine in terms of usage.

Don't have a lot of knowledge about AV encoding, but I'm pretty sure they're not quite up there yet, at least on the Netflix platform.

Totempole

Expert Member
TPB. Ewwww the fakes on that site. Limetorrents or rarbg
True, but if you've been using them long enough you can spot a fake a mile away.

I certainly wouldn't chance any of the "software" on the site.