The astonishing story behind the Please Call Me fight between Vodacom and MTN

access

Honorary Master
No, that is not correct.

There was a messenger service involved inbetween, performed by an operator, you could not talk to the other party. Exactly the same as sending an USSD message.

the collect call was continuous and instant*, not a message sent to somewhere and you wait for a call back some time.

a "please call me" does not make you hold on the line to speak to someone. a reverse charge call does.

the operator inbetween is irrelevant, might as well be a dialing prefix with an automated message, "accept collect call press #" on the other side

this is a paging service on a cellphone.

Jola

Honorary Master
the collect call was continuous and instant*, not a message sent to somewhere and you wait for a call back some time.

a "please call me" does not make you hold on the line to speak to someone. a reverse charge call does.

Nope, not always.

Often the lines were busy, then the operator would deliver the message and you would get the callback later, it just like a PCM.

I can remember sitting in call boxes in Manchester, UK, for hours, waiting for a callback on a reverse charges call.

The PCM, as patented by MTN, was not a new invention, and I assume that is why MTN never aggressively pursued their legal remedies.

access

Honorary Master
Nope, not always.

Often the lines were busy, then the operator would deliver the message and you would get the callback later, it just like a PCM.

I can remember sitting in call boxes in Manchester, UK, for hours, waiting for a callback on a reverse charges call.

i cant remember telkom doing that here, i used it in boarding school a lot. what if someone else needed to use the phone?

why are you ignoring the paging service i keep mentioning, that is literally a message sent to a mobile device to call on someone.

Sodan

Expert Member
"The battle centres around fair compensation "

No, no, no, no.
Centres on. Centres on. Revolves around. Got it??

Jola

Honorary Master
i cant remember telkom doing that here, i used it in boarding school a lot. what if someone else needed to use the phone?

I was making international calls, I believe that busy lines were more of an issue. But it was certainly possible that it could have happened on internal Telkom SA calls. (Or Post Office as they were in those days).

If someone else came to use the phone your caller on the other side would not be able to get through, and would have to phone again.

Same thing happens with PCM, if the PCM sender receives another phone call then the PCM recipient (ie voice caller) can't get through either.

why are you ignoring the paging service i keep mentioning, that is literally a message sent to a mobile device to call on someone.

Sure, similar concept as PCM, except that the receiver was not a phone so you needed to find another phone to make a callback. But yes, same thing, the point is that the concept is not new.

I had one of those pagers many years ago - they pretty much disappeared when cellphones came out.

access

Honorary Master
I was making international calls, I believe that busy lines were more of an issue. But it was certainly possible that it could have happened on internal Telkom SA calls. (Or Post Office as they were in those days).

If someone else came to use the phone your caller on the other side would not be able to get through, and would have to phone again.

Same thing happens with PCM, if the PCM sender receives another phone call then the PCM recipient (ie voice caller) can't get through either.

Sure, similar concept as PCM, except that the receiver was not a phone so you needed to find another phone to make a callback. But yes, same thing, the point is that the concept is not new.

I had one of those pagers many years ago - they pretty much disappeared when cellphones came out.

maybe the pagers turned into phones! :p

my point is, the reverse call service is a voice service, while paging was a text service to a mobile device.

the mobile operators actually brought out reverse call services

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/new-service-vodacom-reverse-charge-service.97732/

https://www.itweb.co.za/content/3mYZRX7942VvOgA8

pcm is a paging service! :laugh: sorry im bored

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
maybe the pagers turned into phones! :p

my point is, the reverse call service is a voice service, while paging was a text service to a mobile device.

the mobile operators actually brought out reverse call services

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/new-service-vodacom-reverse-charge-service.97732/

https://www.itweb.co.za/content/3mYZRX7942VvOgA8

pcm is a paging service! :laugh:sorry im bored
Really? Incredible the lack of knowledge of what was available in SA before the mobile operators were around! Your lack of memory does not make it not so. Some of us were in the business at the time and we KNOW what was available in SA even if you do not know.

access

Honorary Master
Really? Incredible the lack of knowledge of what was available in SA before the mobile operators were around! Your lack of memory does not make it not so. Some of us were in the business at the time and we KNOW what was available in SA even if you do not know.

ok then, they did call you back later, what does it matter. lol incredible.

still doesnt change the fact that one is a voice service that connects two phone users. while the other is a text based request of a mobile device to call on someone, like pcm.

the paging service replica* came out before the actual reverse charge service came out on mobile networks.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
No, the voice service existed AND a signalling setup that allowed you to route a call to a previously arranged reverse charge destination. BOTH existed.
We did not have a very large paging system/service in SA, and it was never linked to the telephone system, or operated by the mobile operators on GSM.

ALL these services are exactly the same. They ALL involve dialling a number (on the mobile networks its is a USSD code), and then the number that you want to either prompt you to call you or a number that you want to accept the reverse charges for. Nothing, absolutely nothing new or particularly innovative about it.

Just have a look at the list of USSD codes offered by the mobile operators and compare them.

Pre-arranged reverse charge calls ----- Reverse charge calls always made to a known number.
Flexible pre-arranged reverse charge calls ----- customers who have previously indicated they are prepared to receive reverse charge calls.
Reverse charge calls to a number where the called party can accept the reverse charge

And one that triggers an SMS - Please call me

ALL the same sw with a different response nothing new or innovative.

AND absolutely nothing to do with paging services.

Last edited:

access

Honorary Master
No, the voice service existed AND a signalling setup that allowed you to route a call to a previously arranged reverse charge destination. BOTH existed.

pcm 2001

vodacom reverse call 2007, mtn reverse call 2014

eventually both existed on gsm