The Audi Thread

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
*Edit*

Thread title updated to The Audi Thread.

----

R100,000 budget - thoughts on Audi A4 2.0L B7?

Hi all

I started out looking out for a +-'08 VW Polo Classic, and soon realised they seem to hold their resale value very well. I noticed that a +-06 VW Golf/Jetta 5 was around 10% more expensive, for a lot more car. I spoke to my mechanic who said servicing costs between Polos/Golfs/Jettas was not much different.

I then saw a post recommending a forumite with a budget of R100k looks at an Audi A3 2.0L FSI, which got me thinking. I know Audis don't hold their resale value well, which seems like a benefit for second hand buyers like myself.

I've been looking at the Audi A4 2.0L B7, which goes for a similar price to the Jetta 5, and to me is a lot more car, with better styling. Mechanic says servicing is on par with the Golf/Jetta.

What are your guys' thoughts? Good idea? Any advice and tips here? I would avoid the turbo models, also because I don't want my premiums too high, and am looking at saving on fuel.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Petrol consumption figures for these need to be compared, especially if you have a far daily commute. Also insurance costs.

Jladan

All German cars seem to hold value well until they are out of plan , so yes you will be able get an older audi quite cheap just watch out for potential high maintenance costs down the road depending on mileage.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Hi all

I started out looking out for a +-'08 VW Polo Classic, and soon realised they seem to hold their resale value very well. I noticed that a +-06 VW Golf/Jetta 5 was around 10% more expensive, for a lot more car. I spoke to my mechanic who said servicing costs between Polos/Golfs/Jettas was not much different.

I then saw a post recommending a forumite with a budget of R100k looks at an Audi A3 2.0L FSI, which got me thinking. I know Audis don't hold their resale value well, which seems like a benefit for second hand buyers like myself.

I've been looking at the Audi A4 2.0L B7, which goes for a similar price to the Jetta 5, and to me is a lot more car, with better styling. Mechanic says servicing is on par with the Golf/Jetta.

What are your guys' thoughts? Good idea? Any advice and tips here? I would avoid the turbo models, also because I don't want my premiums too high, and am looking at saving on fuel.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

You're crazy.

You're trying to buy above your class and going to regret it.

Hope you have at least 60k-80k saved up in case anything breaks.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
He's 100% correct - go with the 06 VW Golf

According to my mechanic, there is not much of a difference between a Golf/Jetta and A4 and _servicing_, none of which will be a problem for me. I will find out about parts, I do expect Audi to be more.

From my research so far, in terms of parts, the Audis need a 120,000km cam belt at around R12,000.

Can those who suggest no elaborate on the high costs?

You're crazy.

You're trying to buy above your class and going to regret it.

Hope you have at least 60k-80k saved up in case anything breaks.

In other words, R60-80k for what exactly?

Also, I'll look for something around 100,000km, and I will sell at around 150,000km.

Please advise?

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
Don't want a Polo, looking at one up. Need a boot, so I'm looking at a Jetta or A4 at the moment.

Those are classics...Something goes wrong with A4 10K+, usually.

I'l give you an explample. My father has a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T.

Engine mounts went. R11000
Front SV joints replacement R10000
Gearbox on last legs: R25000
Engine cooling went 3 times: R5000 per fix.

Last edited:

buyeye

Executive Member
A new figo or same segment car new will mean no worries for 5 years?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Those are classics...Something goes wrong with A4 10K+, usually.

I'l give you an explample. My father has a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T.

Engine mounts went. R11000
Front SV joints replacement R10000
Gearbox on last legs: R25000
Engine cooling went 3 times: R5000 per fix.

What do you think these would be compared to a Golf/Jetta 5?

And from where are these kind of prices?

cenredash

Expert Member
Hi Pop@, I'm just here for the discussion really as I'm in the same boat. Currently on a hastily bought BMW 525 that I got end last year for 80k that is giving loads of small issues but that's adding up as it seems every month. Mostly cooling issues but here and there a leak.

Was also looking at a higher tier but older car that 100k would be good willing to push to 130k but maybe 2005 to 2007. So the Germans. Pushing into 130 opens up some jeep Cherokees crd specifically, highly unpopular x type jags (2.2 diesels) and even a BMW X5 but more likely X3s. Some good "looking" cars.

What do you think of those? Plasma, right? :)

pboy

Expert Member
those prices quoted are absolute thumbsucks/rip offs!
the audi 20.L is the FSI engine equilvalent to the golf 2L fsi.
engine mounts-11k? lol! hehehehehe this is seriously hilarious!!!
cv joints we did for R1800 both front inners at vw.
and gearbox--.. hai this guy is smoking something good!

u get plenty car yes- what about a honda accord? all the bells and whistles PLUS you wont have much maintenance nightmares going JAP.

but seriously, get a 2nd hand vivo, or a accord if you MUST punch above your class..

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
those prices quoted are absolute thumbsucks/rip offs!
the audi 20.L is the FSI engine equilvalent to the golf 2L fsi.
engine mounts-11k? lol! hehehehehe this is seriously hilarious!!!
cv joints we did for R1800 both front inners at vw.
and gearbox--.. hai this guy is smoking something good!

u get plenty car yes- what about a honda accord? all the bells and whistles PLUS you wont have much maintenance nightmares going JAP.

but seriously, get a 2nd hand vivo, or a accord if you MUST punch above your class..

That's what I thought re prices, smacked of dealer pricing...

Except it's definitely non FSI, no risk of carbon build up and that business:

Code:
Platform 	Volkswagen Group B7 (PL46) platform
Engine 	petrol engines:
1.6L I4
1.8L I4 20v Turbo
1.8L I4 16v TFSI
[B]2.0L I4 20v[/B]
2.0L I4 16v [B][U]T[/U][/B]FSI
3.2L V6 24v FSI

Won't settle for a Vivo, drove one for a while and they're terrible. A Polo is much better, minimum I would settle with.

Have also looked into the Accord, the only other car I'm looking at. However most are 2.4L, and I'm worried about having a bigger engine and fuel cost. Also seem slightly above budget but I could push it.

Currently have a 2.5 V6 and I'm getting 150km from R200 - R250...