The Audi Thread

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

TehStranger

Executive Member
Nice, if only the 3.2 was a manual! That's the main requirement. :p Even better if it was a 2007 with more modern MP3 CD-playing radio. Lovely mags.

The mags look great, they're what caught my eye first.

Yeah I think you're going to struggle to get all of that within R110,000. Can't the newer radio be fitted after the fact easily enough?

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Shock absorber question; what's the lifespan of them on an A3? My 1.8T A3 is 53,000km on the clock, 4.5 years old and they been feeling kinda hard lately.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Juddering windscreen wipers on A3

I have severe juddering on my windscreen wipers on my A3. The juddering gets worse with more water/rain. The car was bought in September 2013, so it about 18 months old now.

Tried thoroughly cleaning the wipers blades until no more black stuff comes off, and windscreen with warm water and soap, clean cloths, even a bit of windolene, but to no avail. I think I have narrowed it down to the driver wiper blade causing the juddering, and it judders in both directions.

Question is, should I just buy new blades myself and fit them, or are they covered in freeway plan?

Is there anything else i should check first?

Thanks

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
@AdrianH , it should be covered under Audi freeway plan. Phone them to ask.

Hell, they even topped up my oil under freeway plan once when I enquired is it normal for my car to be consuming oil at the rate it is / was. Got a free 'carwash' as well, but that's a swear word to some people around here ;)

DominionZA

Executive Member
I have severe juddering on my windscreen wipers on my A3. The juddering gets worse with more water/rain. The car was bought in September 2013, so it about 18 months old now.

Tried thoroughly cleaning the wipers blades until no more black stuff comes off, and windscreen with warm water and soap, clean cloths, even a bit of windolene, but to no avail. I think I have narrowed it down to the driver wiper blade causing the juddering, and it judders in both directions.

Question is, should I just buy new blades myself and fit them, or are they covered in freeway plan?

Thanks
I went in last Sat to purchase new blades for my car. They confirmed they were old and that I should come in during the week to get new fitted under plan. Bonus.
They reckoned if I purchase them myself, they are about R500!!!

Last edited:

AdrianH

Expert Member

Thanks

I went in last Sat to purchase new blades for my car. They confirmed they were old and that I should come in during the week to get newnfitted under plan. Bonus.
They reckon if I purchase them myself, they are about R500!!!

Cool, I'll phone Audi tomorrow then.

Apart from the noise dogs make licking themselves, this juddering is the second most annoying noise...EVER!

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Once you have them fitted you can apply Rainex or Cthru to the windscreen and wiper blades.

You'll use them less and so they last longer.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
I've been doing it wrong... I use my wipers only as little as possible. But at R500 to replace them maybe I should use them up before motor plan runs out :p

DominionZA

Executive Member
Once you have them fitted you can apply Rainex or Cthru to the windscreen and wiper blades.

You'll use them less and so they last longer.
Where can I get this stuff? Keen to try it.

Also, with my wipers set to auto, will they still work less after applying either? IE: Is applying it that effective?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Where can I get this stuff? Keen to try it.

Also, with my wipers set to auto, will they still work less after applying either? IE: Is applying it that effective?

Builders or Makro should have it.

I have found that when using Auto it does still work but auto will wipe regardless since its the rain sensor that makes it works and you need to reapply it more often.

I would just say don't wipe it over the rain sensor area.

Basically what it does is lets the water bead and slide off the windscreen. So it remains clearer for longer with no need for wipers.

Just remember to apply it to the wiper as well otherwise it can make a noise.

Also don't apply it inside as if it were a cleaner. Its not and it causes windows to fog up.

Ctru is a baby blue bottle and Rainex is yellow. Basically the same thing.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Builders or Makro should have it.

I have found that when using Auto it does still work but auto will wipe regardless since its the rain sensor that makes it works and you need to reapply it more often.

I would just say don't wipe it over the rain sensor area.

Basically what it does is lets the water bead and slide off the windscreen. So it remains clearer for longer with no need for wipers.

Just remember to apply it to the wiper as well otherwise it can make a noise.

Also don't apply it inside as if it were a cleaner. Its not and it causes windows to fog up.

Ctru is a baby blue bottle and Rainex is yellow. Basically the same thing.
Awesome. Thanks!

AdrianH

Expert Member
Just an update on my wipers.

Phoned Audi Centurion and told them about the judder. They said bring the car in and they will have a look. Took it in and immediately the service consultant asked if I had my windscreen replaced recently. I said yes back in January. He says that they didn't align the wipers correctly which is likely the cause of the judder, but the will take the car into the workshop and check.

When I went to fetch the car later this afternoon, both wipers had been replaced and adjusted correctly...all sorted now :D

Total bill of R630 (R500 for wipers and R130 for labour) payed by freeway plan.

It was a very pleasant experience.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Just an update on my wipers.

Phoned Audi Centurion and told them about the judder. They said bring the car in and they will have a look. Took it in and immediately the service consultant asked if I had my windscreen replaced recently. I said yes back in January. He says that they didn't align the wipers correctly which is likely the cause of the judder, but the will take the car into the workshop and check.

When I went to fetch the car later this afternoon, both wipers had been replaced and adjusted correctly...all sorted now :D

Total bill of R630 (R500 for wipers and R130 for labour) payed by freeway plan.

It was a very pleasant experience.

Nice that they fixed someone else's cock-up.

DominionZA

Executive Member
I am lucky I suppose. Had my windscreen replaced in Jan when the panel beaters broke it. No alignment needed, but they fkd up the water jets and I had to get Audi to reset those.

MrBuddha

Well, she served me well, but this morning was rammed into at an intersection. Other driver's breaks failed - one of those &^&** old plaas bakkies. :mad:

Audi crash.jpg

Those white containers in the pic are filled with diesel which the bakkie was transporting...