The Audi Thread

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Hi Pop@, I'm just here for the discussion really as I'm in the same boat. Currently on a hastily bought BMW 525 that I got end last year for 80k that is giving loads of small issues but that's adding up as it seems every month. Mostly cooling issues but here and there a leak.

Was also looking at a higher tier but older car that 100k would be good willing to push to 130k but maybe 2005 to 2007. So the Germans. Pushing into 130 opens up some jeep Cherokees crd specifically, highly unpopular x type jags (2.2 diesels) and even a BMW X5 but more likely X3s. Some good "looking" cars.

What do you think of those? Plasma, right? :)

Cool, hopefully we can both start getting some good info here.

Smallest plasma is 42/43" unfortunately - too big for head rests install - will have to go for a boot install...

Plasma only, of course. It's the best. ;)

Last edited:

DominionZA

Executive Member
You're crazy.

You're trying to buy above your class and going to regret it.

Hope you have at least 60k-80k saved up in case anything breaks.

He's 100% correct - go with the 06 VW Golf

I am on my forth pre-owned Audi in 12 years and not spent a fortune on any of them at all. Find yourself a decent mechanic that has the Audi computer and you're set.
The one I use in Edenvale does a better job than Audi ever did, and at a fraction of the price. I have had odd things go wrong (including blowing 2 valves while racing a BM) and no repairs broke the bank.

I prefer to let someone else spend the big bucks on a new model and devalue it for me it purchase later.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I am on my forth pre-owned Audi in 12 years and not spent a fortune on any of them at all. Find yourself a decent mechanic that has the Audi computer and you're set.
The one I use in Edenvale does a better job than Audi ever did, and at a fraction of the price. I have had odd things go wrong (including blowing 2 valves while racing a BM) and no repairs broke the bank.

I prefer to let someone else spend the big bucks on a new model and devalue it for me it purchase later.

Thanks Mike, as much as you are telling me what I want to hear, let's see if the naysayers chime in again. Seems a few of us are waiting... :)

DominionZA

Executive Member
According to my mechanic, there is not much of a difference between a Golf/Jetta and A4 and _servicing_, none of which will be a problem for me. I will find out about parts, I do expect Audi to be more.

From my research so far, in terms of parts, the Audis need a 120,000km cam belt at around R12,000.

Can those who suggest no elaborate on the high costs?

In other words, R60-80k for what exactly?

Also, I'll look for something around 100,000km, and I will sell at around 150,000km.

Please advise?

My cambelt service cost me R2,400 in my previous A6 dude. You are only crazy if you continue to use the dealer once out of motor plan. No need for that at all.
At the time, Audi had quoted me R8k for the service.

My previous A6 I purchased at 100,000 kms and drove it to just under 190k kms. My current one I got at 100k kms and currently on 156k kms and still going as well (if not better) than the day I got it. No intention of getting rid of it anytime soon.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
My cambelt service cost me R2,400 in my previous A6 dude. You are only crazy if you continue to use the dealer once out of motor plan. No need for that at all.
At the time, Audi had quoted me R8k for the service.

My previous A6 I purchased at 100,000 kms and drove it to just under 190k kms. My current one I got at 100k kms and currently on 156k kms and still going as well (if not better) than the day I got it. No intention of getting rid of it anytime soon.

Absolutely, got a family mechanic who I've already spoken to before starting to seriously consider an Audi. Made no mention about exhorbitant parts prices, and said servicing is on par with Polo/Jetta.

As I said, the fact that they don't hold their resale value makes it seem like a second hand buyers' dream. A lot more car for the money.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Thanks Mike, as much as you are telling me what I want to hear, let's see if the naysayers chime in again. Seems a few of us are waiting... :)

Dude, I don't care what they say to be honest. 4 Audis in 12 years speaks much louder than opinion. Just don't use the dealer for repairs and you won't spend anymore than anyone else would for their vehicle.

I see mention of FSi not being very good. Can someone enlighten me? I thought it was good (my A6 3.2 is an FSi) and fuel consumption is great compared to what I got out of my previous A6 2.8.
Just curious.

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Dude, I don't care what they say to be honest. 4 Audis I 12 years speaks much louder than option. Just don't use the dealer for repairs and you won't spend anymore than anyone else would for their vehicle.

I see mention of FSi not being very good. Can someone enlighten me? I thought it was good (my A6 3.2 is an FSi) and fuel consumption is great compare to what I got out of my precious A6 2.8.
Just curious.

I've just read about carbon build up. Not much of an issue though.

More the fact that an FSI might increase premiums enough to deter me, as well as the fact the A4 does not come in a 2.0L FSI, only turbo versions which I'm avoiding.

I'm awaiting premium quotes from my insurer for Polo/Jetta/Audi, on which my decision will be based.

I would much rather have an A4 than a Jetta 5, I'm young and enjoy driving and the Jetta is a bit of an old man's car.

MR.C

Expert Member
Just stay away from the Multitronic gearboxes. They are troublesome and very expensive to repair/replace.

I also considered the same over-achieving upgrade, landed up getting a Polo Vivo and quite satisfied. Not overly excited but quite satisfied. The consumption on the 1.4 seems like it doesn't wanna get finnished.
Easy for around town driving and it feels solid for long distance holiday driving.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

Absolutely. Costly replacement items on VW/Audi are usually turbo or DSG gearbox, neither of which he has to worry about if the car is out of warranty. Their naturally aspirated engines are just fine, so you'd be looking at the same level of reliability that would get out of a Polo. If something does break, it's usually something stupid like the windscreen water tank.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
Just stay away from the Multitronic gearboxes. They are troublesome and very expensive to repair/replace.

I also considered the same over-achieving upgrade, landed up getting a Polo Vivo and quite satisfied. Not overly excited but quite satisfied. The consumption on the 1.4 seems like it doesn't wanna get finnished.
Easy for around town driving and it feels solid for long distance holiday driving.

Agreed, decent cars, but the heavy steering really puts me off. As well as that ****ty MP3 player... :D

PostmanPot

Honorary Master

Problem with the A4 is that most are auto/tiptronic, and on the one hand, many say that automatics can be better because of no clutch/gearbox replacement - sealed unit and all - only brakes that need replacing more often.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Agreed, decent cars, but the heavy steering really puts me off. As well as that ****ty MP3 player... :D

Talking MP3 player... My birthday is on Sunday so the wife is contributing towards me getting the Audi Music Interface with bluetooth fitted to my car. Integrates with the existing media interface with the car and gives A2DP, iPod and USB integration. Plus bluetooth for my phone with contacts etc... on the multimedia interface (parrot getting taken out now).
I am like a kid. Cannot wait for next week :D

I was going to buy the kit and attempt the installation myself, but there is stuff to do with the fibre optics in the existing system which scared me off. Getting an Audi approved installer in Boksburg to do it rather.

Current audio system is Boze with all fibre. AMI will complete her :cool:

DominionZA

Executive Member
Problem with the A4 is that most are auto/tiptronic, and on the one hand, many say that automatics can be better because of no clutch/gearbox replacement - sealed unit and all - only brakes that need replacing more often.

Tiptronic is fine. That is what I drive.
When my wife traded in her A4 multitronic she lost R40k on trade in because her car was around 45k kms from the expected replacement of her gearbox which is around 180k kms. The dealer split the cost in half with her.

So ye - stay away from multitronic but do look at tiptronic. My rule when I look at a new (pre-owned) Audi is no turbo and tiptronic. I make up for the lack of turbo by getting a larger engine (all except first have been 2.8 min). Car cruises so much nicer with a beefy engine.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Talking MP3 player... My birthday is on Sunday so the wife is contributing towards me getting the Audi Music Interface with bluetooth fitted to my car. Integrates with the existing media interface with the car and gives A2DP, iPod and USB integration. Plus bluetooth for my phone with contacts etc... on the multimedia interface (parrot getting taken out now).
I am like a kid. Cannot wait for next week :D

I was going to buy the kit and attempt the installation myself, but there is stuff to do with the fibre optics in the existing system which scared me off. Getting an Audi approved installer in Boksburg to do it rather.

Current audio system is Boze with all fibre. AMI will complete her :cool:
What do you plan on doing with the Parrot? Is it the one that runs Android? You can do some pretty nifty stuff with it with some of the apps that you get from the store, so I'm not sure why you would replace it ;)

DominionZA

Executive Member
What do you plan on doing with the Parrot? Is it the one that runs Android? You can do some pretty nifty stuff with it with some of the apps that you get from the store, so I'm not sure why you would replace it ;)

Noooo dude. Old Parrot CK3200 or something. Had it installed in my previous Audi like 7 years ago or something. I got Audi to move it to my new cab as part of the deal in 2009. It has really served me well. Big respect for Parrot.

I am getting the new AMI system as it integrates with my existing console, is all operated from the Audi controls and displays on the existing multimedia 7" LCD display. Sweeeet .

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Noooo dude. Old Parrot CK3200 or something. Had it installed in my previous Audi like 7 years ago or something. I got Audi to move it to my new cab as part of the deal in 2009. It has really served me well. Big respect for Parrot.

I am getting the new AMI system as it integrates with my existing console, is all operated from the Audi controls and displays on the existing multimedia 7" LCD display. Sweeeet .

Ah ok, the newer ones run Android and you can get some awesome apps for it. Hook it into your OBD2 port and get a realtime readout of various parameters.

GYZb0SNl.jpg

DominionZA

Executive Member
Ah ok, the newer ones run Android and you can get some awesome apps for it. Hook it into your OBD2 port and get a realtime readout of various parameters.

GYZb0SNl.jpg

Oh my. I was about to go to sleep. Now I HAVE to go google this gadget. Sounds sexy.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Oh my. I was about to go to sleep. Now I HAVE to go google this gadget. Sounds sexy.

Have fun :D

The app in the pic is called Torque Pro, and another popular one is Dash Command. The apps also have other features such as measuring 1/4 mile and 0-100 times whenever you come to a stop, which gets pretty addictive and sends your fuel consumption to hell.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Oh and sorry for derailing your thread PP. If you like the car then do it, don't listen to the naysayers :)