The Audi Thread

ands45

Expert Member
I thought Audi stopped using the Multitronic, aka CVT?

Big issue with CVT reliability is regular oil changes, so you'd want some kind of indication those were done on time.
Think they have moved to stronic for newer models. Have heard oil changes at right time are the most important thing. Would only buy from dealer with full audi service record, so would hope all done correctly

airborne

Honorary Master
Think they have moved to stronic for newer models. Have heard oil changes at right time are the most important thing. Would only buy from dealer with full audi service record, so would hope all done correctly
What is the rebuild cost like on a Multitronic?

Recently a guy was selling a peach of a A4 Avant but it was Multitronic and it didn't have a service record so I didn't touch it, he eventually dropped the price from R70k to R30k before it sold. On those vehicles even with R40k spare change to do potential repairs you can get horribly burnt.

ands45

Expert Member
What is the rebuild cost like on a Multitronic?

Recently a guy was selling a peach of a A4 Avant but it was Multitronic and it didn't have a service record so I didn't touch it, he eventually dropped the price from R70k to R30k before it sold. On those vehicles even with R40k spare change to do potential repairs you can get horribly burnt.
No idea, a lot I imagine. Sounds like an older model though, I know those where more unreliable. Wondering if newer ones are better. As would be looking at 2015.

airborne

Honorary Master
No idea, a lot I imagine. Sounds like an older model though, I know those where more unreliable. Wondering if newer ones are better. As would be looking at 2015.
As far as I understand anything Multitronic that has been abused or incorrectly maintained is a hand grenade with the pin pulled but if looked after they seem to be fine. I have heard of a good few high mileage examples without any issues.

I wouldn't buy one for anything other than cruising, CVT's aren't bulletproof like torque converter slush box type automatics that you can just hammer relentlessly and they refuse to die.

ands45

Expert Member
Audi Freeway Plan extension calculator :
For my mileage an extension of 2 years works out 12/13k which isn't bad at all for the peace of mind. Can always also negotiate it into the price, then can just extend again after if needed, as see it can be extended up to 10 years.

droidx

Expert Member
They mention maintenance and service options at that link - do you know if it extends the warranty too? What if the turbo pops or the gearbox goes?
This is covered by the maintenance plan.
The freeway plan covers service items, wear and tear items as well as mechanical failure. It is quite comprehensive. You'll probably only need fuel and tyres.

airborne

Honorary Master
For my mileage an extension of 2 years works out 12/13k which isn't bad at all for the peace of mind. Can always also negotiate it into the price, then can just extend again after if needed, as see it can be extended up to 10 years.

R13k for 2yrs sounds pretty cheap compared to the BMW prices I've heard?

That basically buys you factory guaranteed reliability for R6.5k a year.

Can you buy the max 10yrs extension up front and also how much does the cost vary if you renew it every 2yrs vs in one go?

ands45

Expert Member
Last edited:

Crowley

Executive Member
R13k for 2yrs sounds pretty cheap compared to the BMW prices I've heard?

That basically buys you factory guaranteed reliability for R6.5k a year.

Can you buy the max 10yrs extension up front and also how much does the cost vary if you renew it every 2yrs vs in one go?
Yes you can buy it up front. It goes up depending on the age and km's.

I am extending my plan this week and here are the prices I was quoted taking into consideration that my car is 6 years old with 113 000 km on the clock.

1 Year no additional km's - R14 733
1 Year 30k additional km's - R33 999
1 Year 60k additional km's - R61 594

ands45

Expert Member
Hey, wanted to check. I am looking to buy a 2015 A4, apparently it has Bluetooth but read online that you can't stream music. It has the concert radio. Is there a way to connect phone to stream if that is the case?

airborne

Honorary Master

I am extending my plan this week and here are the prices I was quoted taking into consideration that my car is 6 years old with 113 000 km on the clock.

So R14k is for if you are still under 100,000km and just want the motorplan extended?

How much would 1yr and 10k additional kms cost?

airborne

Honorary Master
Hey, wanted to check. I am looking to buy a 2015 A4, apparently it has Bluetooth but read online that you can't stream music. It has the concert radio. Is there a way to connect phone to stream if that is the case?
Some of the early models can't stream music, they hobbled them for some bizarre reason and only installed the call profile. I'd Google "music hack mod + radio model", maybe there's some kind of unlock.

Other than that you need a new headunit.

zerocool2009

Executive Member

Related to extending, read the big issues covered. Mine expired in 2011. Extended it 3 times, and when I saw the price, and the max component covered, lets say the full engine, I took the risk and started self insuring. Today, I have barely issues! Touch wood

airborne

Honorary Master
Related to extending, read the big issues covered. Mine expired in 2011. Extended it 3 times, and when I saw the price, and the max component covered, lets say the full engine, I took the risk and started self insuring. Today, I have barely issues! Touch wood
Isn't the extension full motorplan cover, ie it's the same level of cover as the factory warranty and covers everything baring the normally excluded wear and tear items?

Crowley

Executive Member

The Freeway plan covers everything besides fuel, tyres and cosmetic trim for some reason. I see the extension as a grudge purchase, the same as insurance. I know I might not need it at all but I would rather have it and have worry free motoring for the forseeable future.

So R14k is for if you are still under 100,000km and just want the motorplan extended?

How much would 1yr and 10k additional kms cost?
No, 14k for one year and it is still covered up to 120k. If I don't extend the Freeway plan it will expire at either 120k km's or the end of this month, whichever one comes first.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
The Freeway plan covers everything besides fuel, tyres and cosmetic trim for some reason. I see the extension as a grudge purchase, the same as insurance. I know I might not need it at all but I would rather have it and have worry free motoring for the forseeable future.

No, 14k for one year and it is still covered up to 120k. If I don't extend the Freeway plan it will expire at either 120k km's or the end of this month, whichever one comes first.

Get a qoute what a new engine cost! That isnt covered! A new Q7 engine is roughly R80k. Max covered is R35k, back in 2011 to 2014... that is why I rather self insure!

Crowley

Executive Member
Get a qoute what a new engine cost! That isnt covered! A new Q7 engine is roughly R80k. Max covered is R35k, back in 2011 to 2014... that is why I rather self insure!
Everything is covered besides fuel and tyres. Here is a quote on a gearbox replacement which justifies the Freeway plan extension for me.

90b87b23-5b4c-41cf-acbd-0a0b37ab7073.jpg