The Audi Thread

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Everything is covered besides fuel and tyres. Here is a quote on a gearbox replacement which justifies the Freeway plan extension for me.

View attachment 1049975

Is that only what you getting for extending the warrantee? What I also know, extending it isnt via Audi either, its another firm. I was 3 years at bidvest!

Well, if you want piece of mind, and it covers everything excluding fuel and tyres! Go for it

droidx

Expert Member
Is that only what you getting for extending the warrantee? What I also know, extending it isnt via Audi either, its another firm. I was 3 years at bidvest!

Well, if you want piece of mind, and it covers everything excluding fuel and tyres! Go for it
The extension you are referring to was not the freeway plan. The freeway plan is with audi direct and does not limit cover.
The cost is much higher but you can then drop your car with audi and whatever is needed will be covered.

I paid R40k for 4 years and annual maintenance plus things like brakes and maybe a battery makes it well worth it.
I must admit that I have a performance model so things like brakes are not cheap.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
The extension you are referring to was not the freeway plan. The freeway plan is with audi direct and does not limit cover.
The cost is much higher but you can then drop your car with audi and whatever is needed will be covered.

I paid R40k for 4 years and annual maintenance plus things like brakes and maybe a battery makes it well worth it.
I must admit that I have a performance model so things like brakes are not cheap.

Wow!

My breaks alone is R5000 front, and battery is R9k

So you got a bargain if thats covered

droidx

Expert Member
My back brakes were R12k, fronts will definitely need to be replaced this this period. A battery in the next 4 years not of the cards. Annual service is about R2k.

During my original plan I needed a bottom end replacement for R110k.

A caveat is that I never added mileage so I'm assuming to only reach 100k around the 4 year mark, currently on 67k km. So if I do end up needing to travel more I'll need to fork out for additional mileage.

Work from home means that I'll reach approximately 100k km around the end of the four years.
An additional year with mileage will cost R30k at the moment and it wasn't worth signing up for that.

riscbroker

Expert Member
Hey, wanted to check. I am looking to buy a 2015 A4, apparently it has Bluetooth but read online that you can't stream music. It has the concert radio. Is there a way to connect phone to stream if that is the case?
Check the spec, there may be aux in (stereo mini jack) in the centre console, that's if your phone supports that....

flytek

I have not read the thread :D

If I may ask for opinions please.
I've been wanting to upgrade from a 2014 Golf7 Tsi dsg to something bigger as a pram takes up so much in the boot that there is almost no space for any shopping/baggage left unless you use the remaining back seat which I'm not a huge fan of.
I went through almost all the cars I could think of on a price/performance/capital required basis.
I do 25k km a year so I'm looking for fuel efficiency as well as something with just over 100k km at worst.
I have had a new car once and have learned the lesson of depreciation so I'm not considering new.

The 3 cars that have stood out for me using price performance depreciation and fuel consumption as the primary concerns are the first gen Audi Q5 3.0 tdi, the first gen facelift Q5 3.0 tdi and then the fist gen SQ5 tdi.
Of the 3 the SQ5 has a tiptronic torque converter gearbox of known quality and two turbos while the other two have dual clutch s-tronic gearboxes and single turbos.

I presume fixing dead turbos is cheaper than dead gearboxes which is leading me to consider the extra 100k required for the SQ5 which also has a bunch of other little nice things that help to make the 100k extra more palatable.

The first gen 3.0tdi runs around 200k the facelift around 300k and the SQ5 around 400k. The facelift one from around 2014 gets 8.4l/100km while the other two will get around 9.2l/100km. They are all basically rare.

My question is what do people feel about these cars and can anyone point me at even better options?
I have written off most other vehicles firstly because I like to overtake. I realize that other brands could easily yield better long term maintenance costs. All constructive criticism/thoughts appreciated.

I ran fairly extensive spreadsheets comparing and then ranking everything I could think of based on the below factors and the above 3 made a nearly clean sweep: Q3 was a little too small but would otherwise have ranked excellently.
Acceleration time to 100km/h
Depreciation, Fuel & Warranty costs
Consumption / Performance
Price / Performance
Price / Age
Perceived Maintenance issues

SDM

Hey, wanted to check. I am looking to buy a 2015 A4, apparently it has Bluetooth but read online that you can't stream music. It has the concert radio. Is there a way to connect phone to stream if that is the case?
The Bluetooth interface is only for phone calls.

My 2015 A4 came with Audi Music Interface, so I bought a Coolstream Pro Bluetooth adapter and the AMI to Apple 30 pin cable. This adds Bluetooth audio functionality. Works well for music and podcasts. At the time I found the Coolstream adapter on Raru when they still had the US import store.

If it doesn't have AMI then there will be a 3.5mm audio jack in the console between the front seats.

airborne

Honorary Master
I have not read the thread :D

If I may ask for opinions please.
I've been wanting to upgrade from a 2014 Golf7 Tsi dsg to something bigger as a pram takes up so much in the boot that there is almost no space for any shopping/baggage left unless you use the remaining back seat which I'm not a huge fan of.
I went through almost all the cars I could think of on a price/performance/capital required basis.
I do 25k km a year so I'm looking for fuel efficiency as well as something with just over 100k km at worst.
I have had a new car once and have learned the lesson of depreciation so I'm not considering new.

The 3 cars that have stood out for me using price performance depreciation and fuel consumption as the primary concerns are the first gen Audi Q5 3.0 tdi, the first gen facelift Q5 3.0 tdi and then the fist gen SQ5 tdi.
Of the 3 the SQ5 has a tiptronic torque converter gearbox of known quality and two turbos while the other two have dual clutch s-tronic gearboxes and single turbos.

I presume fixing dead turbos is cheaper than dead gearboxes which is leading me to consider the extra 100k required for the SQ5 which also has a bunch of other little nice things that help to make the 100k extra more palatable.

The first gen 3.0tdi runs around 200k the facelift around 300k and the SQ5 around 400k. The facelift one from around 2014 gets 8.4l/100km while the other two will get around 9.2l/100km. They are all basically rare.

My question is what do people feel about these cars and can anyone point me at even better options?
I have written off most other vehicles firstly because I like to overtake. I realize that other brands could easily yield better long term maintenance costs. All constructive criticism/thoughts appreciated.

I ran fairly extensive spreadsheets comparing and then ranking everything I could think of based on the below factors and the above 3 made a nearly clean sweep: Q3 was a little too small but would otherwise have ranked excellently.
Acceleration time to 100km/h
Depreciation, Fuel & Warranty costs
Consumption / Performance
Price / Performance
Price / Age
Perceived Maintenance issues

Any of those is going to be hell expensive to repair out of warranty if anything major breaks. Knowing VAG you better Google the heck out of whatever you buy to make sure it's not a model or engine/gearbox that's a lemon.

The facelift models are normally pretty reliable because they should have most issues ironed out by then.

An interesting exercise is to see how much they would all cost to get to the same factory warranty length by upgrading the old models using the Audi extend-plan page mentioned earlier.

ands45

My 2015 A4 came with Audi Music Interface, so I bought a Coolstream Pro Bluetooth adapter and the AMI to Apple 30 pin cable. This adds Bluetooth audio functionality. Works well for music and podcasts. At the time I found the Coolstream adapter on Raru when they still had the US import store.

If it doesn't have AMI then there will be a 3.5mm audio jack in the console between the front seats.
So it should definitely have either the ami or aux? Supposed to sign the finance tomorrow for the car but would be a bit crappy if no way to connect my phone for music.

SDM

So it should definitely have either the ami or aux? Supposed to sign the finance tomorrow for the car but would be a bit crappy if no way to connect my phone for music.
My 2011 A4 had aux as standard. My 2015 A4 had AMI as standard. Both were Ambition spec level. I don’t know if the basic Attraction spec had either.

ands45

My 2011 A4 had aux as standard. My 2015 A4 had AMI as standard. Both were Ambition spec level. I don’t know if the basic Attraction spec had either.
Mine is the SE model, which I think is the same as the ambition. Will just phone and ask tomorrow. Thanks

LoneWolf

Expert Member
hi guys and ladies,
hope you are all doing well :)

I want to service my recently bought 2015 A4 1.8 TFSI (125kw) and also do a stage 1 tune on the car. its got 151 000 km on the clock, pristine condition.
I need advice before I go ahead with what I want to do. I am buying the parts, some local, some on amazon and I was looking at the following:

- NGK iridium spark plugs x4 (looking to buy from amazon)
- Audi R8 Ignition Coils (Amazon ???)
- Hella Brake Discs front and Back (bought from Goldwagen)
- Bilstein Shocks front and back (bought from Goldwagen)
- Febi Brake pads front and back (no stock at Goldwagen, any alternatives?? Amazon??)
- K & N Air filter (looking to buy from amazon, dont know which one will be best....)
- MANN Oil filter and Liquid Moly Oil (bought from Goldwagen)
- Freeflow exhaust , but not the kind that is overkill.... (any suggestions please!!??)
- Cabin filter (bought from Goldwagen)
- Fan belt (any brand that you would recommend??)

so far that's it on my list. is this covering the basics and a bit more? what else should I do? I only want to do pro-active maintenance and get it to a stage 1 tune. that's it.

any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

airborne

Honorary Master
hi guys and ladies,
hope you are all doing well :)

I want to service my recently bought 2015 A4 1.8 TFSI (125kw) and also do a stage 1 tune on the car. its got 151 000 km on the clock, pristine condition.
I need advice before I go ahead with what I want to do. I am buying the parts, some local, some on amazon and I was looking at the following:

- NGK iridium spark plugs x4 (looking to buy from amazon)
- Audi R8 Ignition Coils (Amazon ???)
- Hella Brake Discs front and Back (bought from Goldwagen)
- Bilstein Shocks front and back (bought from Goldwagen)
- Febi Brake pads front and back (no stock at Goldwagen, any alternatives?? Amazon??)
- K & N Air filter (looking to buy from amazon, dont know which one will be best....)
- MANN Oil filter and Liquid Moly Oil (bought from Goldwagen)
- Freeflow exhaust , but not the kind that is overkill.... (any suggestions please!!??)
- Cabin filter (bought from Goldwagen)
- Fan belt (any brand that you would recommend??)

so far that's it on my list. is this covering the basics and a bit more? what else should I do? I only want to do pro-active maintenance and get it to a stage 1 tune. that's it.

any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!
First check the known reliability of that engine.

Last edited:

ands45

Has anyone bought or tried this https://audistream2air.com/collecti...tooth-a2dp-adapter-for-audi-skoda-and-vw-2gen by chance. Works out less than R900 and free shipping.

6spdmanual

Expert Member

ands45

6spdmanual

Expert Member
I have something similar and it works but isn't great. Often get interference.
At least you’ve tried it. Can’t comment too much on the item you’re thinking of getting next as I’ve never used it before. But R900 with free shipping doesn’t seem too bad. Try it and let us know how it goes.

ands45

At least you’ve tried it. Can’t comment too much on the item you’re thinking of getting next as I’ve never used it before. But R900 with free shipping doesn’t seem too bad. Try it and let us know how it goes.
Will do a bit more research and see