The Audi Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
ICE Audi Cars in SA Until 2033

Audi is bringing numerous Electric Vehicles (EVs) to South Africa but Audi’s Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles will still be available until 2033, according to Audi SA’s Managing Director, Sascha Sauer.

Fans of Audi ICE cars have likely had sleepless nights after hearing the news that the Ingolstadt-based firm will soon be launching a brave EV offensive in South Africa in 2022.

Earlier this year, Audi launched a whack (15 to be exact) of exciting RS products in South Africa and we have sampled most of them here at Cars.co.za. These vehicles embody what we love about cars, but sadly, they won’t be around forever — not even in South Africa.

In our latest podcast, Ciro De Siena sat down with Audi SA’s Managing Director, Sascha Sauer, to discuss the firm’s EV plans as well as what the impending EV rollout means for Audi’s ICE products in South Africa.

ICE Audi Cars in SA Until 2033

Sauer commented, “Given the time frame, Audi and many other manufacturers have committed publicly that they will launch only electric cars going forward from a certain period of time, very soon. It also puts pressure on us as a brand here in the country [South Africa] to transform our business proactively and prepare ourselves for the future because from 2026 onwards, any new car launch will be only electric cars and by 2033 we will stop importing and producing cars into South Africa with a combustion engine.”

Yes, that means that the day will come in 2033/2034 when ICE-powered Audis will no longer be sold in South Africa. What a sad day that will be, but what does it mean for you?

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring-news/ice-audi-cars-in-sa-until-2033/109346/

DominionZA

Executive Member
My A5 saved my life -for sure. Those airbags did their job 100%.
The vehicle that hit me did not even brake. Full on - driver door - impact.
Legs were cut and bruised, rest is 100%. Not even whiplash.

This will ensure I get yet another Audi.

d12538e7-0f17-4c96-9429-29111fed55a8.png

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I posted this in Fiesta's Wagon thread but I thought I'd update here as well.

After much deliberation and consideration, I'm currently awaiting this B7 A4 in Phantom Black to get to Porrelissabef (getting shipped from Bloem) so that I may take ownership of it. I'm hoping that it will be within the next week, but I'm taking the time to read up on this model (lots of info available on Audizine) and hopefully get an idea of what maintenance items I'd like to tackle once it's here.

It's had a lube service and plugs done and a clean bill of health was issued, but for peace of mind I would like to refresh the gearbox oil, possibly the other fluids as well (clutch, brake, coolant) and then do a once-over on the suspension bushings (snub mount, engine mounts and control arm bushings).

I was really looking for a white version, but finding one that hasn't been a) whored out or b) driven to Jupiter and back is really difficult. It has the niceties that I wanted - colour DIS, RNS-E, cruise control, towbar, Xenons, PDC, and doesn't have the stuff that I didn't - namely a sunroof.

269910234_10227769521974676_5182622130467278700_n.jpg

airborne

Honorary Master
I posted this in Fiesta's Wagon thread but I thought I'd update here as well.

After much deliberation and consideration, I'm currently awaiting this B7 A4 in Phantom Black to get to Porrelissabef (getting shipped from Bloem) so that I may take ownership of it. I'm hoping that it will be within the next week, but I'm taking the time to read up on this model (lots of info available on Audizine) and hopefully get an idea of what maintenance items I'd like to tackle once it's here.

It's had a lube service and plugs done and a clean bill of health was issued, but for peace of mind I would like to refresh the gearbox oil, possibly the other fluids as well (clutch, brake, coolant) and then do a once-over on the suspension bushings (snub mount, engine mounts and control arm bushings).

I was really looking for a white version, but finding one that hasn't been a) whored out or b) driven to Jupiter and back is really difficult. It has the niceties that I wanted - colour DIS, RNS-E, cruise control, towbar, Xenons, PDC, and doesn't have the stuff that I didn't - namely a sunroof.

269910234_10227769521974676_5182622130467278700_n.jpg
That's a very pretty sauna you got there, congratulations!

What engine and gearbox does it have and what's the mileage and if you don't mind saying what did it cost?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
That's a very pretty sauna you got there, congratulations!

What engine and gearbox does it have and what's the mileage and if you don't mind saying what did it cost?
Thanks! Not looking forward to the upkeep of the black paint, but it is what it is.

It has the 2.0T EA113 BWE engine mated to the Multitronic transmission. Common issues on these engines are cracking plastic bits (coolant flange, intake manifold), the HPFP cam follower that wears through, and failing Diverter Valves and PCV's. I realise these gearboxes aren't very popular for many reasons but I didn't have much choice as we never got the B7 in S-Tronic (DSG) or Tiptronic on our shores. Mileage is a little higher than I wanted it to be @ 220k, but again, it is a 2007 model so finding one with sub-150k on the odometer is a challenge. I paid R81k, also slightly over my anticipated budget, but secondhand car prices are a bit nuts at the moment (some B7's selling for R110k, and some B6's selling for as high as R90k).

I had the option of a lower mileage one for a bit cheaper, but it looked a bit knackered and had no service history. Funnily enough the one I test drove a few months ago is still driving around town, so I guess he still hasn't gotten his price for it. I told him he is asking too much but he seemed adamant to have 'multiple buyers' lined up:coffee:

airborne

Honorary Master
Flush that CVT gearbox oil asap when you get it, Ravenol CVT oil may be cheaper than Audi.

Is that the petrol or diesel engine?

Black paint is so annoying, you can claybar it and wax it to perfection and the wind can blow overnight and the next day it'll look all dusty and nasty already. Still it's a good look other than the heat issue.

Does the aircon work?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Flush that CVT gearbox oil asap when you get it, Ravenol CVT oil may be cheaper than Audi.

Is that the petrol or diesel engine?
I'll stop by Goldwagen and have them give me some fluids. They should have the quantity needed, the procedure also doesn't sound too bad - the car has to be at ambient temp though but the process itself seems easy enough. Drain oil, fill oil, cycle through the gears, add more oil, then button it up and do the adaptations.

It's the turbopetrol. I was a bit on the fence on maybe waiting for a TDI but all the ones I found were already stage 1 mapped for 'efficiency' (yeah right).

airborne

Honorary Master
I'll stop by Goldwagen and have them give me some fluids. They should have the quantity needed, the procedure also doesn't sound too bad - the car has to be at ambient temp though but the process itself seems easy enough. Drain oil, fill oil, cycle through the gears, add more oil, then button it up and do the adaptations.

It's the turbopetrol. I was a bit on the fence on maybe waiting for a TDI but all the ones I found were already stage 1 mapped for 'efficiency' (yeah right).
The petrol is nice but damn those TDI's are sweet and that ultra low fuel economy, so good.

But I think apart from fuel the potential running costs on the petrol are lower than diesel.

Ravenol is R200/L for Audi compatible CVT oil.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
The petrol is nice but damn those TDI's are sweet and that ultra low fuel economy, so good.

But I think apart from fuel the potential running costs on the petrol are lower than diesel.

Ravenol is R200/L for Audi compatible CVT oil.
Yeah, some guys getting way over 1400km on a tank on the TDI's make me kind of regret not going TDI.

But the kick from the 2.0T is quite something else when in S mode. In D it just propels you forward like someone is hanging an Avant magnet in front of the car. The TDI I test drove was also a pretty nice ride, but a bit noisier inside the cabin for obvious reasons.

I don't intend on doing lots of mileage as I am permanently WFH. And judging by Fuelly, the 2.0T should get around the same economy as my i30 anyway. The larger tank should be nice for additional range, at least.

I'll price Goldwagen for that oil, ta. Seems I'll be needing around 8 litres of the stuff.

airborne

Honorary Master
Does the Audi CVT have clutch packs or a torque converter clutch?

Many early CVT's had clutch packs and they were prone to premature failure if the oil wasn't changed religiously around every 60k km.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Does the Audi CVT have clutch packs or a torque converter clutch?

Many early CVT's had clutch packs and they were prone to premature failure if the oil wasn't changed religiously around every 60k km.
Clutch pack IIRC. So if it goes wrong I'd likely look at another box altogether, but let's hope it doesn't come to that:D

I do envy the other markets that had options like Quattro and the 3.2T engines. We really got shafted with choice down here.

Ivan Leon

Executive Member
I couldn't find a dedicated Audi Q7 thread here, so just dropping this in here...

2022 AUDI Q7 FACELIFT - INDIAN MOTORING PRESS REVIEWS

Autocar India

carandbike

MotorBeam

ZigWheels

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I couldn't find a dedicated Audi Q7 thread here, so just dropping this in here...

2022 AUDI Q7 FACELIFT - INDIAN MOTORING PRESS REVIEWS

Autocar India

carandbike

MotorBeam

ZigWheels
Here you go.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Audi brings 150kW charging to SA

Audi adding many more chargers – for all to use.

Electric cars have arrived in South Africa. Finally. But charging infrastructure remains a problem.

And as the electric vehicle fleet grows, a lagging charging infrastructure could trigger ownership frustration. Not the kind of frustration any brand wants with the calibre of customers able to afford any of the current electric vehicles – all of which, are rather expensive.

Audi has taken a proactive approach and partnered with GridCars, a local charging infrastructure company that also partnered with Jaguar to create the initial Powerway across SA. This new partnership will see Audi fund the expansion of 33 new charging stations, with a total of 70 connectors.

More charging stations, with greater potency, are crucial in absorbing the demand from new electric vehicle owners in South Africa. Customers don’t want to wait an unreasonable time to recharge, and with most local electric vehicle sales being luxury cars with large batteries, high-capacity chargers are necessary regarding convenience.

Four of the 33 new chargers in this project between Audi and GridCars will be of the 150 kW configuration. And all the chargers will be open for multi-brand vehicle use.

Although the final locations are unconfirmed, the four 150 kW units will be placed along highway routes. A 150 kW charger can replenish approximately 340 km of battery range in only half an hour.

To support these four high-capacity 150 kW chargers, there will also be five 80 kW stations, strategically placed on the country’s most used highway routes. GridCars and Audi have not confirmed the location of four of those five, but we do know that one will be at Richmond, on the N1 between Johannesburg and Cape Town.

Snip.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Audi and GridCars team up to install SA’s first 150kW ultra-fast EV chargers

South Africa’s electric car market might still be in its infancy, but Audi is pulling out all the stops to make a grand entrance this year. Not only is the German carmaker launching three new e-tron model lines in the coming months, but it will also be the first to introduce 150kW DC ultra-fast charging technology to the country.

Audi South Africa has teamed up with GridCars to install 70 new new EV public charging connectors at 33 locations around the country in order to expand on the existing public charging network for the benefit of not only Audi e-tron customers but all electric car drivers.

“These publically accessible charging stations will offer all EV consumers regardless of vehicle ownership, the latest, state-of-the-art charging technology available in South Africa, aiming to assist consumers with the adoption of electric mobility,” Audi said.

The ultra-fast DC chargers allow for impressively quick recharging. For instance an Audi e-tron 55, which has a 95kWh battery, can charge up from 10% to 90% in around half an hour, Audi says.

Audi is planning to install four of these 150kW ultra-fast charging stations along major highway routes such as the N1, N2, N3 and N4.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Has Audi heard of a small company called Eskom?

But in all seriousness I love this, one day is one day.