The Audi Thread

Debeer165

Expert Member
I never understand this.

Don't want to pay out of pocket "in case" the S-tronic goes bust which almost never happens but will happily spend 100-200k to change the car instead?

Makes no sense.

Now if you just said "because I want a new one" I would say cool beans, enjoy.

A fixed cost of 3000 is usually preferable, and often more manageable than having to pay 5, or even 6 digit amounts straight out of pocket.

Plus, it's repairing something old versus getting something newer. I'd happily trade in a 2009 A4 for a 2012 for example

curbs2012

Expert Member
Any thoughts on this:
2011 A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI
42000 kms
Sunroof, rear and front pdc
Silver
Auto
R269k

DominionZA

Executive Member
Any thoughts on this:
2011 A5 Sportback 2.0TFSI
42000 kms
Sunroof, rear and front pdc
Silver
Auto
R269k

What nice low mileage. I paid R314k for 73k on the clock about 2 months back. Also silver, sunroof, pdc (rear only) - but - also got B&O, electric seats and a 3.2FSI.
I would have a hard time choosing between the two. The lower price and low mileage is a no brainer. Try beat the price down a bit more too!

I rolled over to 80k on the clock today ): Was a k@k feeling. Fallen in love with this car and watching the mileage climb this quick reminds me of how soon I will have to let her go again.

kripstoe

Expert Member
What nice low mileage. I paid R314k for 73k on the clock about 2 months back. Also silver, sunroof, pdc (rear only) - but - also got B&O, electric seats and a 3.2FSI.
I would have a hard time choosing between the two. The lower price and low mileage is a no brainer. Try beat the price down a bit more too!

I rolled over to 80k on the clock today ): Was a k@k feeling. Fallen in love with this car and watching the mileage climb this quick reminds me of how soon I will have to let her go again.

I've driven the 3.2FSI. What a lovely car. Why did you choose the 3.2 over the 2.0T ?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
89nmIYb.png

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Question regarding buying these cars that are already 3/4 years old - Aren't you guys afraid of being outside motorplan/warranty for these things? On these cars anything that goes is fscking expensive.

Naks

Executive Member
Question regarding buying these cars that are already 3/4 years old - Aren't you guys afraid of being outside motorplan/warranty for these things? On these cars anything that goes is fscking expensive.

nope.

We kept our 2006 A3 2.0 TDi for 8 years. Earlier in Jan the DMF started giving issues and SWAMBO wanted a new car anyway so she traded it in on another A3.

Most expensive repair in those 8 years was R14k for new xenons, would have been 1/3 of the price at an indie but SWAMBO refuses to use anything but stealers.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Nope.

Such as?

Turbo on a 3.0TDi?

nope.

We kept our 2006 A3 2.0 TDi for 8 years. Earlier in Jan the DMF started giving issues and SWAMBO wanted a new car anyway so she traded it in on another A3.

Most expensive repair in those 8 years was R14k for new xenons, would have been 1/3 of the price at an indie but SWAMBO refuses to use anything but stealers.

What else did you have to repair?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
The way I see it:

Keep a car past 5 years: You may end up with a 7 to 10 year old car, regular R30k+ repair bills and it is only worth R50k when you want to get rid of it after spending R100k out of pocket fixing the damn thing.

vs.

A fixed monthly cost of R5-R7k forever. You never need R30k cash in your pocket suddenly to repair something. Plus, you are always driving a newer car with nicer looks, interior, safety, reliability etc.

Exception: extending the motorplan a year or two after 5 years is probably another option I would consider.

curbs2012

Expert Member

Definitely considering it.
On the flip side, I am also looking at a 2009 VW Tiguan, 2.0TSI, full house sport and style with front and rear PDC. 62k kms on the clock for R199k. Out of plan though so will have to get an extender.
Having to choose between the two.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
The way I see it:

Keep a car past 5 years: You may end up with a 7 to 10 year old car, regular R30k+ repair bills and it is only worth R50k when you want to get rid of it after spending R100k out of pocket fixing the damn thing.

vs.

A fixed monthly cost of R5-R7k forever. You never need R30k cash in your pocket suddenly to repair something. Plus, you are always driving a newer car with nicer looks, interior, safety, reliability etc.

Exception: extending the motorplan a year or two after 5 years is probably another option I would consider.

It sounds fair and clever, but I think that this is exactly how the manufacturers want you to feel. A win-win for the stealers too who profit off your trade in.

It also comes down to whether you live a mostly cash or mostly credit life.

My plan is to continue never having a certificate of registration in the bank's name, only mine.