The Audi Thread

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yeah, sounds like she got a bit of a lemon! She must insist that they fix! Simple...

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
So today this same colleagues car stopped on the N1. Coolant light came on, car switched off. Prior to this she was adding 500ml oil a week - oil light kept going ON.

Great work Audi.

Thats some ****ty advice the dealership gave her.

The car will switch off to protect the engine from over heating so theres definitely something wrong there.

Not sure about the 2010 model but previous models up to 2006 had issues with the flange pipe.

peeryus

Should still be under maintenance plan. Take it back and get it sorted! Get the engine replaced if they have to! Maybe also try a different dealership

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Any eta on when the S1 will arrive in SA & if we getting both configuration & pricing...they should price it too crazy...entry point into Audi's S cars

Based on the UK prices of the S1 and S3, about R420 000.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
So I have a fine scratch on my A3 on the left side, not sure if the undercoat has been damaged. I doubt it was caused by a car as it's quite high up on the panel, above the door handle, so possibly someone walking past or a branch or something...

Where should I take the car to get some objective advice on how to touch it up? Maybe it can be buffed out? Just don't want it getting worse.

I'll take a pic when I get a chance and upload it.

furpile

Expert Member
So today this same colleagues car stopped on the N1. Coolant light came on, car switched off. Prior to this she was adding 500ml oil a week - oil light kept going ON.

Great work Audi.

If they only disclosed the problem with the car she can return it for a full refund (excluding usage costs for the time she had it) under the CPA. I would return it, no repairing.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven

Great work Audi.

Audi informed her the oil sensor was malfunctioning (and the engine had too much oil - due to all her adding, on THEIR instructions).

DominionZA

Executive Member
Audi informed her the oil sensor was malfunctioning (and the engine had too much oil - due to all her adding, on THEIR instructions).
What a bunch of tools. I really don't have much faith in their technicians and I have told them that. And in my case - I am proved right - again.

Further up I mentioned a "clunk" sound when reversing and applying brakes. Audi said it was the car jack being loose and I felt like a tool.
Well it happened again, a few times, since then. They are delivering another car to me on Tues and taking mine away for testing. The only reason I put up with this bull**** is because they treat me well and I get a bunch of other Audi's to drive around :)

Aquadyne

Expert Member
Will only know come Tues. I seriously doubt it though. Audi won't be THAT good to me :(
I would if I was them...
Plant the seed and all that.
They have to really f up to lose you as a life customer. It's your progression planning that needs finesse from their side.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Today I decided turbos are over rated.

The only current turbo I have driven was the 2.0T Audi loaned me. It was meh. But I figured the 3.0 TDI would be fun and have been on the lookout for one.

Today on the way home from Hartees I had a race that changed my mind - a bit.
At the last traffic light before heading off on the R21 from Pretoria, I ended up side by side with a Q7 3.0 TDI. Now the 2 of us had been playing since the circle fountain at the start of the R21, but with traffic we never got to do much. So now at the traffic light, I figured he would be in for a bit of a race. We had an open freeway ahead of us. You don't get a better opportunity :)

When the light turned green we both gapped it. Foot flat on the floor!
Being a turbo I expected him to take the lead - but not so. I got just over a cars length and it stayed there until about 110km/h. He gained about half a cars length at this point and at 130km/h I took my place back. Nothing changed up to 175km/h at which point I saw no more point, and reduced to the speed limit - which he then also did.

Something similar happened a few weeks back when pulling off from circle fountain. A5 3.0 TDI in this case. Only when we got the base of the hill did I click he was in fun mode, and he was already 3 car lengths ahead. I floored it, and while I never caught him - he also never got away.

So what gives with turbos? Where is the benefit with them?

EDIT: I am sure the Q7 dude was like "WTF? I have a turbo and he doesn't!" :)

Last edited:

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Today I decided turbos are over rated.

The only current turbo I have driven was the 2.0T Audi loaned me. It was meh. But I figured the 3.0 TDI would be fun and have been on the lookout for one.

Today on the way home from Hartees I had a race that changed my mind - a bit.
At the last traffic light before heading off on the R21 from Pretoria, I ended up side by side with a Q7 3.0 TDI. Now the 2 of us had been playing since the circle fountain at the start of the R21, but with traffic we never got to do much. So now at the traffic light, I figured he would be in for a bit of a race. We had an open freeway ahead of us. You don't get a better opportunity :)

When the light turned green we both gapped it. Foot flat on the floor!
Being a turbo I expected him to take the lead - but not so. I got just over a cars length and it stayed there until about 110km/h. He gained about half a cars length at this point and at 130km/h I took my place back. Nothing changed up to 175km/h at which point I saw no more point, and reduced to the speed limit - which he then also did.

Something similar happened a few weeks back when pulling off from circle fountain. A5 3.0 TDI in this case. Only when we got the base of the hill did I click he was in fun mode, and he was already 3 car lengths ahead. I floored it, and while I never caught him - he also never got away.

So what gives with turbos? Where is the benefit with them?

EDIT: I am sure the Q7 dude was like "WTF? I have a turbo and he doesn't!" :)

So, you almost got beaten by a 2.5 ton diesel? Ouch... :erm: :D

DominionZA

Executive Member
So, you almost got beaten by a 2.5 ton diesel? Ouch... :erm: :D
Few hundred kgs shouldn't make that much difference. At the very least he should have taken me on pull off?

Is the a significant performance difference between petrol and diesel?

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Few hundred kgs shouldn't make that much difference. At the very least he should have taken me on pull off?

It's an extra 900kg... That is an extra 60% weight, that will hold the car back during pull off.

Luckily the diesel has extra torque, to get that mass going, but your car has more power. 195kW 330Nm vs 177kW 550Nm.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way

There's a significant performance difference between the Q7 3.0TDI and an A5 3.2 FSI. 8 vs 6 seconds to a hundred, 215 vs 250 kmph top speed.

Debeer165

Expert Member
Here's the big thing, it comes down to the weight. The A7 is a lot heavier than the A5, but I can't give exact figures atm because I'm running on EDGE signal.

Diesel gives high levels of low down torque, while your petrol has more high up power. The torque allows the heavier car to not drop away entirely behind you at pull off, while your power is what allowed you to pull away again at the higher end.

Same deal with the A5 TDI. He was ahead, so I'm guessing that you were both along the higher end. He still stayed ahead, the gap stayed the same due to the curves as explained, but unlike the A7 he was lighter, which was why you couldn't catch up.

Edit : another factor, fuel level. If you were at 50% while they were recently filled, that equates to a good bit of additional weight difference.

Last edited: