The awesome Huawei smartphone you can't buy in South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
The awesome Huawei smartphone you can't buy in South Africa

Huawei recently launched its new Mate 30 Series smartphones, and many South African customers expected the flagship Mate 30 Pro to become available for order soon after the announcement.

This was not the case, however, as Huawei has decided to postpone the launch of the device in South Africa until it is once again able to use Google apps and services or it has finished the development of its own ecosystem for the local market - whichever comes first.

Okty

Expert Member
Stupid question, how do you find out what video parameters the phone has that you can change, with let's say open camera, i.e. iso range, aperture range, 4k max recording etc?

kwaggawerner

Would it be possible to side-load the Google Play Store and it's services, or will the apps block themselves from running?

elvis_presley

Expert Member

Sl8er

Executive Member

newby_investor

Expert Member
So why does this "partner content" come along to MyBB homepage?

I'd actually prefer a phone without Google. It would be a feature for me, not a problem. (The other problem with this though is that it's likely to be insanely expensive.)

Kilowatt

I'd actually prefer a phone without Google. It would be a feature for me, not a problem. (The other problem with this though is that it's likely to be insanely expensive.)
This is not a problem. Flash an existing phone with a custom ROM, like ViperOS, LineageOS or ResurrectionRemix and you can choose any amount of Google Apps to include with it ranging from All to None. It takes a bit of work if you haven't done it before but it's the ultimate customisation!

newby_investor

Expert Member
This is not a problem. Flash an existing phone with a custom ROM, like ViperOS, LineageOS or ResurrectionRemix and you can choose any amount of Google Apps to include with it ranging from All to None. It takes a bit of work if you haven't done it before but it's the ultimate customisation!
I've looked into this. It's not exactly trivial. I could probably do it, but it's a hassle. When I was younger I liked messing around with stuff like this, I'm too old for it now.

I've also looked at the list of supported devices for lineage and others and there tends to be mostly older devices supported. Newer ones you always have to wait, if they get support at all. It's not as though any random phone I pick up will work - there's still no lineage ROM for any Android Nokia AFAIK, so I can't flash my Nokia 8. I think it would be nice to be able to just buy a phone without Google on it and be done with the matter.

Rant over.