calypso

Expert Member
They are pretty much the same in terms of functionality but I think the sunsynk wins just in being a better overall unit and on price. The sunsynk has a modern touch screen UI. I haven't seen anything like it on any other inverter on the market. Just the flow chart alone on the inverter gives you a good view of what is happening on the inverter from what each MPPT is producing, what is going in or out of the batteries, current from the grid supplying the non essential loads, the essential loads and the aux loads or generator input or micro inverter. Is there a screen on any inverter currently in the market where all this information is presented on one screen? All other production data is also easily accessible directly on the touch screen and presented in easy to read bar charts.

On price the sunsynk beats the victron hands down. The multiplus II hybrid 8kva (6.5kw) is nearly R55k vs about R32k for the 8kw sunsynk. View attachment 1115310

Yes, when it comes to price the SunSynk is miles ahead. Half or a third of the price of the Victron for similar performance. I'm still not getting where it's better, just the built-in touch screen? The more competition the better, we all want to see prices drop on all sides. The way this is being portrayed, Victron is dead in the water. For R55k it would be cheaper to buy a Quattro.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Yes, when it comes to price the SunSynk is miles ahead. Half or a third of the price of the Victron for similar performance.
It does not stop there.

I'm still not getting where it's better, just the built-in touch screen?
I already gave you some clues, you need to do some research. Take a look at this https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-EasySolar-with-Color-Control-EN.pdf
and compare it with this: https://6a0f9a11-bc20-45f8-b815-9b3...d/9350f7_5bda291ef11e491abf38571a16499daf.pdf

I agree that the touch screen is great, but there are many other technical areas where the Sunsynk shines far brighter.

The more competition the better, we all want to see prices drop on all sides. The way this is being portrayed, Victron is dead in the water. For R55k it would be cheaper to buy a Quattro.
No-one has said anything remotely like that. Are you being obtuse?
To have a proper and productive conversation on the topic, you will need to come up with something better than vague strawman arguments, and to intelligently consider the context of statements made.

Victron is undoubtedly one of the global leaders in alternative energies, no-one can deny that. For domestic use however, challengers have appeared and are quickly cornering the market.

AchmatK

Executive Member
It does not stop there.

I already gave you some clues, you need to do some research. Take a look at this https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-EasySolar-with-Color-Control-EN.pdf
and compare it with this: https://6a0f9a11-bc20-45f8-b815-9b3...d/9350f7_5bda291ef11e491abf38571a16499daf.pdf

I agree that the touch screen is great, but there are many other technical areas where the Sunsynk shines far brighter.

To have a proper and productive conversation on the topic, you will need to come up with something better than vague strawman arguments, and to intelligently consider the context of statements made.

Victron is undoubtedly one of the global leaders in alternative energies, no-one can deny that. For domestic use however, challengers have appeared and are quickly cornering the market.
First time I see the new manual.

I see they've restated the pass through limit to 50A. I can confirm this as I've had my unit trip once this month running 3 aircons on heater mode and then the geyser switched on taking my total load to over 11kw. Was the coldest day this year and had an issue with the fireplace that I've since fixed.

calypso

Expert Member
It does not stop there.

Not really interested in an argument, you are just being incredibly vague. You could say it's better for reasons A, B, C but try to keep it mystic. Anyways, not gonna bother carrying on here.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Not really interested in an argument, you are just being incredibly vague. You could say it's better for reasons A, B, C but try to keep it mystic. Anyways, not gonna bother carrying on here.
Victron low voltage (150v) and high amp (100A) mppt means that panels run in parallel instead of series.

Sunsynk high voltage (500v) and low amp (13A) mppt.

Sunsynk IP65 rating and can be installed outside. Victron IP21

Victron 4kw vs 5kw and triple the price for the victron.

Derates output if inverter goes above 40°. Sunsynk does not derate the output and I've had mine go as high as 55° in summer

Victron 70A battery charge limit vs sunsynk 120A battery charge.

Input for generator or wind turbine on the sunsynk. I'm not sure if the victron can have a wind turbine connected in ac coupled.

This is looking at the easy sun 5kva compared to to the 5kw sunsynk.

Aesthetics. The victron looks like it would be better in a garage or industrial installation. The sunsynk does not look out of place in my kitchen with its sleek and more modern enclosure.

It also looks like victron just took their existing products and put it in one enclosure to create the easy solar range thus the price of the victron being so high.

It would be interesting to get feedback from victron resellers on how their sales have been this year as compared to previous years. Has sunsynk taken on market share from victron on the higher end or from axpert at the lower end?

Neuk_

Executive Member
Victron low voltage (150v) and high amp (100A) mppt means that panels run in parallel instead of series.

Derates output if inverter goes above 40°. Sunsynk does not derate the output and I've had mine go as high as 55° in summer

Input for generator or wind turbine on the sunsynk. I'm not sure if the victron can have a wind turbine connected in ac coupled.

Aesthetics. The victron looks like it would be better in a garage or industrial installation. The sunsynk does not look out of place in my kitchen with its sleek and more modern enclosure.

It also looks like victron just took their existing products and put it in one enclosure to create the easy solar range thus the price of the victron being so high.

It would be interesting to get feedback from victron resellers on how their sales have been this year as compared to previous years. Has sunsynk taken on market share from victron on the higher end or from axpert at the lower end?

Some interesting differences there, thanks for sharing.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Some interesting differences there, thanks for sharing.
I was just now thinking more of what is better when it comes to MPPTs of the two units.

As an example, if you can only afford to have 5 panels rated at 12A and 45v, on the sunsynk you can connect all 5 panels on one MPPT in a 5S configuration. On the victron you will need to either add one more panel and connect them in 3S2P or only add 4 panels on a 2S2P configuration.

On the sunsynk you can therefore increase your panels one at a time by adding to the existing string or start utilising the second mppt.

On the victron if you are running 2P or 3P configurations, panels can only be added 2 or 3 at a time respectively.

Priapus

Executive Member

The bold part for me is the deal breaker for the bluff stuff. So just on that bases alone; I would take the Sunsynk. As for the cosmetics and where to put it, that doesn't bother me in the slightest - my current Expert invert is in the garage. So a replacement would go there.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I was just now thinking more of what is better when it comes to MPPTs of the two units.

As an example, if you can only afford to have 5 panels rated at 12A and 45v, on the sunsynk you can connect all 5 panels on one MPPT in a 5S configuration. On the victron you will need to either add one more panel and connect them in 3S2P or only add 4 panels on a 2S2P configuration.

On the sunsynk you can therefore increase your panels one at a time by adding to the existing string or start utilising the second mppt.

On the victron if you are running 2P or 3P configurations, panels can only be added 2 or 3 at a time respectively.

Interesting observation, I wonder why Victron went for such low V rating for their MPPT, perhaps because of the negative affect of one panel in a series string going down taking down the whole string but that is a guess. We run a 250/70 MPPT with ten panels in two separate strings, so 5S2P if I understand your explanation.

RonSwanson

Executive Member

The bold part for me is the deal breaker for the bluff stuff. So just on that bases alone; I would take the Sunsynk. As for the cosmetics and where to put it, that doesn't bother me in the slightest - my current Expert invert is in the garage. So a replacement would go there.
Correct, because thicker cabling costs far more.

Neuk_

Executive Member

We spoke about rattle canning your inverter Victron blue which will sort your cosmetics out ;)

Skankhunt

Expert Member
October 2020, I had a brand new pv system installed.
5kwh Deye inverter
6x solar panels
4x Omnipower 12v 240ah lead acid batteries (yes I know).

First 2 months was great. With our base usage at around 0.5 - 0.8 kwh (geyser, oven, etc aren't connected) it would keep most of the house running at night before automatically switching off when it reaches 60%, as that's the limitation of LA batteries.
For comparison, within the first month of having our system installed, our whole neighbourhood had a power outage that lasted from around 10pm till around 5am and according to the App, it never dropped below 60%.

Not long after, we noticed the batteries would die before the end of a 2 hour loadshedding session and we are left in the dark, till power comes back on.

After fighting for 5 months with the installer who sold us the system with millions of promises and now doesn't wanna take any responsibility for the batteries, despite the 1 year warranty, they finally came to fetch it early June and sent it away for further testing and then he basically disappeared.

Now it's nearly August, we getting lawyer involved to deal with breach of contract, but since this could take months, we need to buy new batteries urgently.

What would be the best lithium alternative be, that's compatible with our inverter, that could more or less match the peak experience we had with our system as per above?

Willing to spend ± R30k-ish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

tRoN

Executive Member
5kwh Deye inverter
6x solar panels

First 2 months was great. With our base usage at around 0.5 - 0.8 kwh (geyser, oven, etc aren't connected) it would keep most of the house running at night before automatically switching off when it reaches 60%, as that's the limitation of LA batteries.
For comparison, within the first month of having our system installed, our whole neighbourhood had a power outage that lasted from around 10pm till around 5am and according to the App, it never dropped below 60%.

Not long after, we noticed the batteries would die before the end of a 2 hour loadshedding session and we are left in the dark, till power comes back on.

After fighting for 5 months with the installer who sold us the system with millions of promises and now doesn't wanna take any responsibility for the batteries, despite the 1 year warranty, they finally came to fetch it early June and sent it away for further testing and then he basically disappeared.

Now it's nearly August, we getting lawyer involved to deal with breach of contract, but since this could take months, we need to buy new batteries urgently.

What would be the best lithium alternative be, that's compatible with our inverter, that could more or less match the peak experience we had with our system as per above?

I would get 2 Pylontech USB3000c to start and add as your budget allows.
With a long reputation of reliability and a 95% DOD you can’t go wrong.

I’d be weary of brands that don’t have a decent track record

AchmatK

Executive Member
I would get 2 Pylontech USB3000c to start and add as your budget allows.
With a long reputation of reliability and a 95% DOD you can’t go wrong.

I’d be weary of brands that don’t have a decent track record
Good option as I have these but at that budget I would go with one hubble Am2 5.5kw.

Max you can draw on two pylontech is 3.5kw vs 5.5kw on the hubble. 0.5C vs a 1C battery. I have 4 pylontechs so the C rating had become irrelevant. Currently have 1 year with the pylontech and state of health is still 99% SOH with near 3MW already cycled through them.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
5kwh Deye inverter
6x solar panels

Hubble AM-2 FTW

tRoN

Executive Member
Good option as I have these but at that budget I would go with one hubble Am2 5.5kw.

Max you can draw on two pylontech is 3.5kw vs 5.5kw on the hubble. 0.5C vs a 1C battery. I have 4 pylontechs so the C rating had become irrelevant. Currently have 1 year with the pylontech and state of health is still 99% SOH with near 3MW already cycled through them.

Hubble AM-2 FTW

The main issue with the Hubble is that they are NMC cells.
These run hotter and having all those cells in one enclosure will surely affect their durability.

Also having 2 separate batteries means that if one fails at least you are not left “in the dark”.

@RonSwanson why are you such a Hubble fanboy?
The other local brand Freedom Won has a longer reputation than Hubble.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
The main issue with the Hubble is that they are NMC cells.
These run hotter and having all those cells in one enclosure will surely affect their durability.

Also having 2 separate batteries means that if one fails at least you are not left “in the dark”.

@RonSwanson why are you such a Hubble fanboy?
The other local brand Freedom Won has a longer reputation than Hubble.

I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but I must admit that I do like the product. It's affordable, locally supported, read the specs, do the research, see and decide for yourself. At the risk of repeating myself, if I were planning a new install, I would use Hubble without a doubt.

Are you a fanboy of the outdated articles on NMC batteries at batteryuniversity.com?