The_Traveller

Expert Member
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but I must admit that I do like the product. It's affordable, locally supported, read the specs, do the research, see and decide for yourself. At the risk of repeating myself, if I were planning a new install, I would use Hubble without a doubt.

Are you a fanboy of the outdated articles on NMC batteries at batteryuniversity.com?
You’re not a fanboy, you’re the ambassador for the brand.

risk of repeating yourself ? You’re like a broken record .

time to change your username, Nick. You are Nick right?

tRoN

Executive Member
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, but I must admit that I do like the product. It's affordable, locally supported, read the specs, do the research, see and decide for yourself. At the risk of repeating myself, if I were planning a new install, I would use Hubble without a doubt.

Please declare your conflict of interest wrt to Hubble otherwise we will all be suspicious of your recommendations and avoid Hubble.

If you want to support local then why ignore my comment on Freedom Won who are longer in business.

So articles are outdated because the NMC technology hasn’t changed.

Risk of fire is higher with NMC.

Here is an “outdated” article from August 2020

The stationary storage industry got an early boost from piggybacking on the supply chains for the electric vehicle industry. The energy-dense nickel-manganese-cobalt-oxide (NMC) batteries designed for cars doubled as powerful batteries for the grid.

But the APS fire strikingly illustrated the explosive potential of those NMC batteries. Another chemistry, lithium-ferrous-phosphate or LFP, has gained ground due to a reputation for safety and lower costs, although it packs less energy density.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Please declare your conflict of interest wrt to Hubble otherwise we will all be suspicious of your recommendations and avoid Hubble.

If you want to support local then why ignore my comment on Freedom Won who are longer in business.

So articles are outdated because the NMC technology hasn’t changed.

Risk of fire is higher with NMC.

Here is an “outdated” article from August 2020
:laugh::ROFL::laugh:
I have declared all of my interests previously. You are acting like a tool, keep it up, it is clearly winning you a whole lot of friends :ROFL::laugh::ROFL:

RonSwanson

Executive Member

Wrong.
I am Ron Swanson, Director of the Pawnee Parks and Recreation department.

I'd ask the same about you, but I am pretty sure that I would be bored to death at your response, moreover this is a thread about batteries.

Stick to the topic, upholsterer.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Wrong.
I am Ron Swanson, Director of the Pawnee Parks and Recreation department.

I'd ask the same about you, but I am pretty sure that I would be bored to death at your response, moreover this is a thread about batteries.

Stick to the topic, upholsterer.
hehe , typical reply from a wannabe .

Keep on thrilling Mr. Director.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Bunch of losers. Grow up. What the hell does it matter if someone prefers a specific brand.

It is like me who always suggest Geewiz. They are just pretty damn good to my experience. Delivery. Communication. After Sales. Does it mean there are no other stores. No. It is what I prefer.

Now grow some balls.

P.S. Hubble batteries look like good quality. Will tell you okes in 5 years how they are holding up. Please remind me.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

RedViking

Nord of the South

You seem extremely hurt. What happened?

Check these bad boys:
1627823363699.png

Running as cool as a frozen cucumber smoothie.

giphy.gif

The_Traveller

Expert Member
You seem extremely hurt. What happened?
Extremely hurt ? What gives you that impression ?

The way he promotes the brand , it's obvious he's getting some kickbacks.

As for your purchase, good for you, but calling them (recycled batteries, lol) bad boys , is a fkin joke.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Extremely hurt ? What gives you that impression ?

The way he promotes the brand , it's obvious he's getting some kickbacks.

As for your purchase, good for you, but calling them (recycled batteries, lol) bad boys , is a fkin joke.
Why does it matter to you so much? Why don't you add more valuable info to this BATTERY THREAD, instead of trying to make it an argument. Same goes for anyone else.

The useless back and forth is not adding anything valuable for anyone else who want something of value from this thread.

And when someone do post some helpfull info it gets lost between a bunch wet panties.

Let's get this thread back on track.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Isn't it a good thing if batteries are being recycled?

I don't have hubble batteries myself, but it seems that it would be more sustainable

tRoN

Executive Member
Isn't it a good thing if batteries are being recycled?

I don't have hubble batteries myself, but it seems that it would be more sustainable

Apart from the fact that the life cycle is reduced with 2nd life batteries, these batteries were intended for vehicle use and thus not perfectly suited for a solar or backup system.

After paying so much for lithium batteries, you need to get your full value for money

Jladan

I guess as with all things , you need to figure out what works for your needs and setup.

I personally went with Pylons due to track record and so far am happy , the 0.5c isn’t a thing for me as I have a few.

They run nice and cool, charge fast (did quick charge from grid before last load shedding as an experiment) , and although it’s early days am very happy with them so far.

tRoN

Executive Member
I guess as with all things , you need to figure out what works for your needs and setup.

I personally went with Pylons due to track record and so far am happy , the 0.5c isn’t a thing for me as I have a few.

They run nice and cool, charge fast (did quick charge from grid before last load shedding as an experiment) , and although it’s early days am very happy with them so far.

Please explain to me how the 0.5C becomes less of an issue and what the minimum number of batteries is required for this. I need to budget to purchase batteries so I want to be prepared.

@AchmatK also mentioned this earlier

RedViking

Nord of the South
Apart from the fact that the life cycle is reduced with 2nd life batteries, these batteries were intended for vehicle use and thus not perfectly suited for a solar or backup system.

After paying so much for lithium batteries, you need to get your full value for money
Well if these hubble batteries I have last 5 years, it will already be worth it. Anything above that, bonus.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Please explain to me how the 0.5C becomes less of an issue and what the minimum number of batteries is required for this. I need to budget to purchase batteries so I want to be prepared.

The C rating refers to the maximum charge or discharge current the battery or bms allows.

Pylontech is a 0.5C battery meaning the it can only deliver half its capacity in 1 hour. So a 3.5kWh pylontech can only provide up to 1.75kw. If you have a 5kw inverter then the BMS of one 3.5kWh pylontech is effectively limiting the output to only 1.75kw.

A 1C rated battery can deliver its full capacity in 1 hour so the 5.5kwh hubble can run a 5kw load.

In order to use the full 5kw from the sunsynk you need 10kwh of pylontech batteries but only 5kwh if hubble batteries. This is only really applicable when the grid is down and no solar generation is available to support the inverter.

Edit. The more batteries you have the C rating becomes irrelevant. If I have 30kwh of batteries (hubble or pylontech) I'm never going to get an 8kw inverter to run them down at 30kw constantly.

The_Traveller

Expert Member

Don’t let the 0.5c issue distract you.

Generally you’d never want to load an inverter with 5kw of power, that’s insane even in my books (Technically you {edit} shouldn't load an inverter to its max rated capacity. Words out of Sunsynk rep mouth).

that's 104A at 48v.

Figure out your essential items and it’s total power, and you’ll see that the Pylontech will be just fine.

I'm sure you’ll also be planning to upgrade the bank as you go along? If yes then the 0.5c is really a non issue.

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Don’t let the 0.5c issue distract you.

Generally you’d never want to load an inverter with 5kw of power, that’s insane even in my books (Technically you can’t load an inverter to its max rated capacity. Words out of Sunsynk rep mouth).

thats 104A at 48v.

Figure out your essential items and it’s total power, and you’ll see that the Pylontech will be just fine.

Im sure you’ll also be planning to upgrade the bank as you go along? If yes then the 0.5c is really a non issue.
My inverter easily puts out 4.6kW when there is demand on the non-essential side. I have a 4kW geyser on non-essential. One annoying feature on the Goodwe is, it will use battery or solar to power non-essential items while on grid. When eskom is down it doesn't. Annoying but that's how I learned it will pull up to 4.5kW from the pylontechs, I have 4, and then the last bit or any additional come from eskom.

With only 2 I was limited to around 3.5kW. So it all depends on your hardware and devices.

Jladan

The guys above hit the nail on the head on head on the 0.5c thing. I’ve currently got 6 3000 series batts, so it matches my inverter well. However I also have overspecced my setup somewhat.

Again you need to figure out what your objectives and needs of the system are and then work from there, this along with your budget will guide what is the best kit for what YOU need