The_Traveller

Expert Member
My inverter easily puts out 4.6kW when there is demand on the non-essential side. I have a 4kW geyser on non-essential. One annoying feature on the Goodwe is, it will use battery or solar to power non-essential items while on grid. When eskom is down it doesn't. Annoying but that's how I learned it will pull up to 4.5kW from the pylontechs, I have 4, and then the last bit or any additional come from eskom.

With only 2 I was limited to around 3.5kW. So it all depends on your hardware and devices.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it will not run if you load to full capacity but it will lead to failure at some point.

This is not my opinion, it’s from all manufacturers.

I totally agree with your last comment, no one kind will work for everyone.

It all depends on on the equipment used and the design of the system, but if it means you need to compromise a little and get the quality , then so be it ( and again , its not like if you buy a pylontech and it provides half the required power, you're stuck. You can add more which is something everyone wants to do anyway to go off the grid).

tRoN

Executive Member
The guys above hit the nail on the head on head on the 0.5c thing. I’ve currently got 6 3000 series batts, so it matches my inverter well. However I also have overspecced my setup somewhat.

Again you need to figure out what your objectives and needs of the system are and then work from there, this along with your budget will guide what is the best kit for what YOU need

So if your essential (UPS) load is say 3kw only but the inverter is 8kw then two 3.55 kw pylontech batteries will suffice during load shedding?

How long with those 2 Pylontechs last with that 3kw draw during load shedding taking into consideration the 95% DOD they offer ?

AchmatK

Executive Member
So if your essential (UPS) load is say 3kw only but the inverter is 8kw then two 3.55 kw pylontech batteries will suffice during load shedding?

How long with those 2 Pylontechs last with that 3kw draw during load shedding taking into consideration the 95% DOD they offer ?
They should last you just under two hours. Bear in mind that this is with a constant draw of 3.5kw. I think most would try and keep their loads low during load shedding and keep it under 1kw so it should last you close to seven hours.

I know that if I know there is load shedding I make sure that none of my high draw appliances are used during this period.

Priapus

Executive Member
know that if I know there is load shedding I make sure that none of my high draw appliances are used during this period.

pretty much this. I keep my loads around 900w or so. I have three Pylontech US3000s and it lasts me a long while. But the batteries I have are 80% DoD I believe.

Tariqe

I have two 2400 watt Pylontechs, the only time you are limited to the 0.5C discharge rate is when there is NO grid, I have operated an 1800 watt microwave during load shedding with no problem
I really believe there is too much hype regarding the 1C discharge rate

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Apart from the fact that the life cycle is reduced with 2nd life batteries, these batteries were intended for vehicle use and thus not perfectly suited for a solar or backup system.

After paying so much for lithium batteries, you need to get your full value for money
Which batteries exactly are you talking about?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Bunch of losers. Grow up. What the hell does it matter if someone prefers a specific brand.

It is like me who always suggest Geewiz. They are just pretty damn good to my experience. Delivery. Communication. After Sales. Does it mean there are no other stores. No. It is what I prefer.

Now grow some balls.

P.S. Hubble batteries look like good quality. Will tell you okes in 5 years how they are holding up. Please remind me.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
For the record, @ronald911 requested suggestions for batteries:
What would be the best lithium alternative be, that's compatible with our inverter, that could more or less match the peak experience we had with our system as per above?

Willing to spend ± R30k-ish.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I gave my 2c and got admonished by a attention whore. And then some traveling upholsterer decided to try throw some rabbit punches :ROFL:

It would be great if all were to behave in a civilized manner, but as you can see, we weren't all built in the same factory and to the same specs.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Most of the batteries sold as second life. Where do you think their first life was ?
Now you're fudging. Your sentence conflates a whole lot of things, you talk about second life batteries, and then about their use in vehicles. It is clear that you are confused.
I repeat: Which batteries exactly were you referring to in your post:

Apart from the fact that the life cycle is reduced with 2nd life batteries, these batteries were intended for vehicle use and thus not perfectly suited for a solar or backup system.

After paying so much for lithium batteries, you need to get your full value for money

Last edited:

AchmatK

Executive Member
For the record, @ronald911 requested suggestions for batteries:

I gave my 2c and got admonished by a attention whore. And then some traveling upholsterer decided to try throw some rabbit punches :ROFL:

It would be great if all were to behave in a civilized manner, but as you can see, we weren't all built in the same factory and to the same specs.
No idea what's the beef with you but I also suggested looking at hubble am2 batteries as at that limited budget one hubble is a better option Than 2 pylontech such is above the budget and would still not be sufficient for the inverter if the grid is down.

I don't even own hubble batteries but know that it's a decent option with limited budget.

Last edited:

RonSwanson

Executive Member
No idea what's the beef with you but I also suggested looking at hubble am2 batteries as at that limited budget one hubble is a better option Than 2 pylontech such is above the budget and would still not be sufficient for the inverter of the grid is down.

I don't even own bible batteries but know that it's a decent option with limited budget.
...and that's exactly what @ronald911 was asking for.
My only relationship with Hubble is purchasing a pair of S-100 Lead Replacement Batteries for my complex's Mecer inverter in the guardhouse. Other than that, its a great product at a great price, far better than my 3x US3000 Pylontechs.

I suspect that our Traveller friend is some or other butt-hurt junior manager in the alternative energy industry. It's not the first time that he has accused me of getting kickbacks from Hubble for recommending it. Clearly he's in management and not technical in any way at all.

ADrunkTeddyBear

So much beef on a Sunday.....

Lemme add my 2c as well :D.

I prefer the Hubble due to its lower cost and it looks good. Lets not mention that its made in SA. I am mainly interested in the RIOT module as well and seeing how that develops over time. So ill be getting that as well as part of my bundle

RonSwanson

Executive Member
So much beef on a Sunday.....

Lemme add my 2c as well :D.

I prefer the Hubble due to its lower cost and it looks good. Lets not mention that its made in SA. I am mainly interested in the RIOT module as well and seeing how that develops over time. So ill be getting that as well as part of my bundle
That reminds me, I've got a RIOT as well, bought it to explore the Sunsynk / Pylontech inverter stats integration, but then the devs missed their deadline with the Sunsynk deliverable and I didn't do the install. I am led to believe that it's now working, so I will blow off the dust and install it when I get a moment.

ADrunkTeddyBear

That reminds me, I've got a RIOT as well, bought it to explore the Sunsynk / Pylontech inverter stats integration, but then the devs missed their deadline with the Sunsynk deliverable and I didn't do the install. I am led to believe that it's now working, so I will blow off the dust and install it when I get a moment.
Please post screenshots of the UI. Really wanna see how it looks. The demo portal looks a bit outdated

Skankhunt

Expert Member
How's LiFePO4 batteries these days?

A local guy sent me a quote for a 5.1kwh LI battery a few days ago and after googling the model this morning, turns out it's a LiFePO4.

ADrunkTeddyBear

A local guy sent me a quote for a 5.1kwh LI battery a few days ago and after googling the model this morning, turns out it's a LiFePO4.
They are the industry standard now days. You get anywhere from 4000 to 6000 cycles out of them at various C ratings

RonSwanson

Executive Member

LFP is cheaper than NMC, not as energy dense. Tesla's standard Chinese model 3 uses them, allowed them to slash the cost.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
...and that's exactly what @ronald911 was asking for.
My only relationship with Hubble is purchasing a pair of S-100 Lead Replacement Batteries for my complex's Mecer inverter in the guardhouse. Other than that, its a great product at a great price, far better than my 3x US3000 Pylontechs.

I suspect that our Traveller friend is some or other butt-hurt junior manager in the alternative energy industry. It's not the first time that he has accused me of getting kickbacks from Hubble for recommending it. Clearly he's in management and not technical in any way at all.
Wait ! What ?

You carry on like a Hubble ambassador but your only experience with them is buying recycled batteries from them ?

So how the flying F_ _ _ can you conclude its a better battery than Pylontech ? oh wait, far batter than Pylontech ?

I call you out for talking kak ( deceiving people ) and now I'm butt hurt ? Get real dude.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Wait ! What ?

You carry on like a Hubble ambassador but your only experience with them is buying recycled batteries from them ?

So how the flying F_ _ _ can you conclude its a better battery than Pylontech ? oh wait, far batter than Pylontech ?

I call you out for talking kak ( deceiving people ) and now I'm butt hurt ? Get real dude.
I'll ignore the ad hominems, and respond by saying that you need to consider being a little more broad-minded, that way you are eminently more teachable.

The clues as to why I say that the Hubble S-100 is far better than the Pylontech US3000 lies in the S-100's versatility.
1. Can the Hubble S-100 do the job of the Pylontech US3000? Yes, easily. 4 in series will give you 48V, discharge of 50A and a charge rate of 25A, capacity of 100Ah. 16 in series and parallel will give you 48V at 400A discharge rate and 200A charge rate, 400 Ah capacity.
2. Can the Pylontech US3000 do the job of the Hubble? No, not without significant re-engineering, expense and inefficiency.

Which is therefore the more versatile battery?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I'll ignore the ad hominems, and respond by saying that you need to consider being a little more broad-minded, that way you are eminently more teachable.

The clues as to why I say that the Hubble S-100 is far better than the Pylontech US3000 lies in the S-100's versatility.
1. Can the Hubble S-100 do the job of the Pylontech US3000? Yes, easily. 4 in series will give you 48V, discharge of 50A and a charge rate of 25A, capacity of 100Ah. 16 in series and parallel will give you 48V at 400A discharge rate and 200A charge rate, 400 Ah capacity.
2. Can the Pylontech US3000 do the job of the Hubble? No, not without significant re-engineering, expense and inefficiency.

Which is therefore the more versatile battery?

What you are doing is deceiving the ignorant people at the highest level.

You are working with theoretical figures, not real world results.

Insult to injury, you actually use the model built with recycled cells, and compare it to a brand/model that's proven itself , in thousands of installations.

Geez dude, if you were running a business, HelloPeter servers would be crashing right now.