RonSwanson

Executive Member
Nothing to worry yourself about what is not a face value, it's 11kWh of usable power.

I just meant other stuff we don't see or consider, like the quality of the build and support.
Quality of build and support are but only two things, and there are photos of the quality of both builds from tear-downs available on the public Internet. Both have warranty terms and conditions available, consumers can hopefully read and comprehend them, and understand that one is far more prescriptive than the other. Both also have specifications, which also tell us quite a bit. Both have pedigree, and one is locally manufactured and supported vs overseas with a local agent. It's also good to examine what's different about them, like their chemistries. And then to re-look at the use-case, and, using all available information, determine which would be better suited to it. They do not have a duopoly and there are many other manufacturers to choose from besides them.
We are all different, and have different needs. Our value systems are also different, and then there are our budgets, some simply have less than others. Build strategies also differ, some prefer to put down a simple lump sum of cash and then forget about it, others want to start small and build a system up. Others prefer to learn as they go. And then there are those that prefer aesthetics. They like shiny stuff so they buy something that looks like a refrigerator and are very happy until they whip the covers off and find that it's basically an Axpert.

I know which one I will choose if faced with that same choice today. But it will suit me, with my own use-case, my value system, my budget, and my build strategy. I cannot criticise anyone's else's choice, it's a free world, we live in an information age and people all do as they please and what suits them.

Tinuva

The Magician
Quality of build and support are but only two things, and there are photos of the quality of both builds from tear-downs available on the public Internet. Both have warranty terms and conditions available, consumers can hopefully read and comprehend them, and understand that one is far more prescriptive than the other. Both also have specifications, which also tell us quite a bit. Both have pedigree, and one is locally manufactured and supported vs overseas with a local agent. It's also good to examine what's different about them, like their chemistries. And then to re-look at the use-case, and, using all available information, determine which would be better suited to it. They do not have a duopoly and there are many other manufacturers to choose from besides them.
We are all different, and have different needs. Our value systems are also different, and then there are our budgets, some simply have less than others. Build strategies also differ, some prefer to put down a simple lump sum of cash and then forget about it, others want to start small and build a system up. Others prefer to learn as they go. And then there are those that prefer aesthetics. They like shiny stuff so they buy something that looks like a refrigerator and are very happy until they whip the covers off and find that it's basically an Axpert.

I know which one I will choose if faced with that same choice today. But it will suit me, with my own use-case, my value system, my budget, and my build strategy. I cannot criticise anyone's else's choice, it's a free world, we live in an information age and people all do as they please and what suits them.
Woah wait. The Alpha ESS has an Axpert inside?

crawler

Expert Member
I was offered the 2 units below

Can this work hybrid at all?

Just need some info and if anyone can give me a 2nd hand price on them

Thanks
04fc7e216c76704a4e61bd3c80d12b92.jpg
f0127f3299b10120ebffb4aad76ff874.jpg

Tariqe

Is there a third blue box called Venus GX ( the brains of the system ), the Multiplus has been replaced by the Multiplus II, also the mppt is quite small, almost useless with today’s solar panel sizes.

Neuk_

Executive Member
I was offered the 2 units below

Can this work hybrid at all?

Just need some info and if anyone can give me a 2nd hand price on them

Thanks
04fc7e216c76704a4e61bd3c80d12b92.jpg
f0127f3299b10120ebffb4aad76ff874.jpg

That is a 5kVa Multiplus which should be fully hybrid but to use the MPPT you'll need a control unit like the Venus GX or Colour Control GX, the MPPT is also very small which will limit your PV array.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
From my experience, Victron is really pricey like double the price of a Sunsynk/Deye for pretty much the same performance. Wouldnt it be cheaper to look at a Sunsynk?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
From my experience, Victron is really pricey like double the price of a Sunsynk/Deye for pretty much the same performance. Wouldnt it be cheaper to look at a Sunsynk?
I think it is being offered to him, the implications being that it should be keenly priced.

Tariqe

the lowest I can see, Multiplus II ( newer version) is R23,500 to 26,500, so depending on age, probably half of that

crawler

Expert Member
Thanks for all the replies. I needed hybrid, so this is good news

Would this be able to charge lithium etc ?

What is difference between this and newer version?

Probably looking at R5 - R8k for both items?

Will be used as loadshedding system for now and add new mppt and solar panels later as well

I see the venus GX can be had for R5k

Then only batteries needed and a good electrician

Neuk_

Executive Member
Thanks for all the replies. I needed hybrid, so this is good news

Would this be able to charge lithium etc ?

What is difference between this and newer version?

Probably looking at R5 - R8k for both items?

Will be used as loadshedding system for now and add new mppt and solar panels later as well

I see the venus GX can be had for R5k

Then only batteries needed and a good electrician

Yes, it is capable of handling Li-Ion batteries, just check compatibility of the specific battery with the inverter as the BMS needs to interact with the inverter. If initially you will only use it as backup supply for load shedding then you shouldn't need need the control unit as it is capable of running standalone.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
If you Okes want good quality and affordability made in South Africa I highly recommend the MicroCare MPPT solar charge controllers. Built to last, really good stuff, got a friend that has had one in his kombi for many years now

wingnut771

Honorary Master
If you Okes want good quality and affordability made in South Africa I highly recommend the MicroCare MPPT solar charge controllers. Built to last, really good stuff, got a friend that has had one in his kombi for many years now
Aren't they just as pricey as Vitron? Also, can't seem to download their brochure.