RonSwanson

Executive Member
But being an ELCB, it could also be related to an earth issue. Was the inverter earthed? Panels earthed?

thehuman

Expert Member
Im no electrician, house are using that elcb as a main switch. I would do the following.
1 install separate isolator on incomming mains
2 install "line neutral" for inverters ac input
3 feed inverters output to the elcb input.

Another problem, if inverter is after that elcb you loose the elcb protection when loadsheding.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Heard?

Proof:
View attachment 1199122

Edit:

I see they now 18k so looks like I bought at the right time.

Since @Weable Technology has been posting on the forum I checked out their website, interesting...

1637766681319.png

From here...

P.S. I have zero experience with weable.co.za.

TedLasso

Expert Member
If that's true obviously go for the LFP but from what I've seen they are closer to R16K+ which is a fair amount on a budget system. LA has been used for decades before lithium became common they don't all fail as much as its made out to be.
I disagree. Speaking from replacing small batteries in alarm, gate - literally everything in my house. . They were all installed in Feb21 and was expecting two years - even bought 9Ah over 7Ah . Eskom showed me whose boss.

Have had to replace them all. So now, if I had just bought the blue nova's originally, I would have been ok. Lesson learnt for that.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I disagree. Speaking from replacing small batteries in alarm, gate - literally everything in my house. . They were all installed in Feb21 and was expecting two years - even bought 9Ah over 7Ah . Eskom showed me whose boss.

Have had to replace them all. So now, if I had just bought the blue nova's originally, I would have been ok. Lesson learnt for that.
Actually no, because the alarm charger might still not charge the blue nova properly

IguBu

LA is a total waste of time - much written about the reasons before, but you are on the correct path to use a LifePO4 based replacement like BNova, which all have a BMS built in to protect it.

One thing to check is if your current alarm charge rates are at max. They are usually VERY low - around 0.5Amps, some do allow you to up it to 1A or so - there is no risk to your BNova - lithium can handle a lot more, but they have a BMS built it to protect anyways.

I went 11A for the alarm (Slightly larger - so you might need to install them externally to the normal " alarm box") - and open up the clips slightly. Gives you more runtime.

IguBu

Alarms charges are normally like 300 to 500mah :).
If Budget is tight - you can add a small decent Lithium charger for around R1500-R2500 and charge them up very quickly when grid is on. Optimate is an ok brand - just make sure it's the correct model for Lithium - something that can charge around 5A or so should be more than enough for a small 11A 12V.