The Battery Thread (Solar / Inverter)

Messugga

Honorary Master

disclaimer: their email/phone service is terrible, but if you can drive there for example there is no issue
Hahah noted. I emailed them last week and haven't had a response yet. Wanted a quote and advice on a setup. Guess they don't want my R80k or so.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks for the chat over the weekend, I am looking at what we need to get the PV setup in, so far I know of the following:

PV panels
Isolator for PV panels
Brackets and wiring
MPPT
Colour Control or Venus GX
Energy Meter

I am also looking for a easily understandable wiring diagram before resorting to RTFM.
I would not diy. There is a lot to set up on the units themselves

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hahah noted. I emailed them last week and haven't had a response yet. Wanted a quote and advice on a setup. Guess they don't want my R80k or so.
I eventually got the owners email when i was originally looking for stock, and he straight up said to me they can't keep up with the email :| i have been there twice and bought though very easy. Also correspondence after actually placing an online order did work.

if you want advice head on over to powerforum.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I eventually got the owners email when i was originally looking for stock, and he straight up said to me they can't keep up with the email :| i have been there twice and bought though very easy. Also correspondence after actually placing an online order did work.

if you want advice head on over to powerforum.
They're not very far from me so I'll pop over when I have some time.

Tun@

Expert Member
Had the same result from them over a year ago also.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I would not diy. There is a lot to set up on the units themselves
My girlfriends father is both a qualified electrician and electrical engineer so he thinks he can do it :unsure: I am not too concerned about the physical setup, like you say, it is setting up each of the control units where the 'real' work lies. I also have a friend who co-owns a business that is a Victron distributor among other brands who I can get kit from.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My girlfriends father is both a qualified electrician and electrical engineer so he thinks he can do it :unsure: I am not too concerned about the physical setup, like you say, it is setting up each of the control units where the 'real' work lies. I also have a friend who co-owns a business that is a Victron distributor among other brands who I can get kit from.
Ok cool. Just be aware you need some special cables and software to do the setup. It's far from plug and play.
The electrical side isn't that complex.

Messugga

Honorary Master
So on the topic of not doing a DIY install. Can anyone recommend an installer that knows their way around Victron and will allow me to source most of my own parts? Jhb Northern suburbs.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Ok cool. Just be aware you need some special cables and software to do the setup. It's far from plug and play.
The electrical side isn't that complex.
I still think we must get someone in who can do the setup properly on everything.

Neuk_

Expert Member
So on the topic of not doing a DIY install. Can anyone recommend an installer that knows their way around Victron and will allow me to source most of my own parts? Jhb Northern suburbs.
You can try Colin at Cmac Power Solutions, cmack@mweb.co.za , he may be willing as he installed our inverter and batteries that we had bought ourselves.

Mosgi

Anyone with experience with Power Tex (Facebook Marketplace) as a battery seller?

Alternatively experience with Shoto 4.8kwh batteries ?

Side note: I see Revov has quite a special on their 10kwh 2nd life units.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Anyone with experience with Power Tex (Facebook Marketplace) as a battery seller?

Alternatively experience with Shoto 4.8kwh batteries ?

Side note: I see Revov has quite a special on their 10kwh 2nd life units.
25% off for the first 50 batts, yeah looks not too shabby, im sure installers have/will scoop it up fast fast

Neuk_

Expert Member
My girlfriends father managed to source 10 360W PV panels for us so I need to find out the specifications of them before looking at what Victron MPPT solar controller we need, sourcing it along with brackets, fixings, wiring, Victron Venus or Colour Control GX controller, etc, etc.
So, Colin from CmaC Power Solutions did a site visit today and we are unfortunately going to struggle with space for all 10 PV panels so we are looking at a few solutions to get as many panels with as much sunlight installed.

Mosgi

So, Colin from CmaC Power Solutions did a site visit today and we are unfortunately going to struggle with space for all 10 PV panels so we are looking at a few solutions to get as many panels with as much sunlight installed.
What's the issue? Angle of the roof? Direction?

andreh

I can get a Synapse 3.0 V+ inverter at a decent price. My plan will be to hook up 2 X 105ah 12v batteries to it. Someone told me that I must be careful that this unit might be to strong for these two batteries and I might need to add more batteries to it. Is this true?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I can get a Synapse 3.0 V+ inverter at a decent price. My plan will be to hook up 2 X 105ah 12v batteries to it. Someone told me that I must be careful that this unit might be to strong for these two batteries and I might need to add more batteries to it. Is this true?
If he is implying that the charger is 40A+ than yes.

100Ah batteries require a 10A to 20A (max) charger.

thechamp

Honorary Master
People talk a lot of rubbish.