wingnut771

Honorary Master
I never say a Lead Acid battery is not prone to failures, but you guys advising a guy to buy lithium implying that lithium does not fail.

On top of this, an unproven lithium battery.

If you recommended Pylontech or BYD , then sure, but BlueNova ?

Instead of showing me reviews that are 1 year old, show me proof please.
The issue here is 12V. I only know bluenova for 12V.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I never say a Lead Acid battery is not prone to failures, but you guys advising a guy to buy lithium implying that lithium does not fail.

On top of this, an unproven lithium battery.

If you recommended Pylontech or BYD , then sure, but BlueNova ?

Instead of showing me reviews that are 1 year old, show me proof please.
Where did anyone say lithium doesn't fail?

Slinetpixel

@Slinetpixel

What's your take on this ?
I'm applying the general knowledge that everything will fail eventually. I understand that there is currently no one single infallible solution, hence me coming to you guys asking for help.

As I understand it, LiFePO4 is the newer technology but with the benefit of lighter, smaller and more energy efficient cells, while Lead Acid/Gel/AGM is the older "tried and true" technology of yesteryear.

As it currently stands, I've tried twice with Deep Cycle batteries and I've only managed to achieve 6 years between the 2 sets (first set was 2 x 105Ah Energizers, second and current being the 3 x 90Ah Mixtech). If LiFePO4 will buy me a decade (or just short there of) then I am happy to take the risk as based on my history, I would look at replacing Lead Acid twice in that time frame anyway

crysis

Expert Member
Any recommendations for 2 105-120 AH Deep Cycle batteries in Cape Town?

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Any recommendations for 2 105-120 AH Deep Cycle batteries in Cape Town?

Best option I have seen so far

Neuk_

Expert Member

We have four of these and I don't think we paid what Sinetech has them on special for and that was at the end of 2019 :oops: They are decent enough LA batteries, they are doing their job of maintaining us through a few hours of load shedding, supplementing our PV supply during the day and when we are away from home for extended periods I run them from midnight as our load is light and PV in summer starts generating around 05:30.

crysis

Expert Member
Not too bad, but the cheapest shipping is R700 to get down to CPT.

Slinetpixel

I would prefer the modular format as you can replace things individually. One cell bust, buy one cell etc. I admit, you need to have the aptitude to not do yourself any damage. :ROFL:
Would I be ok going for the 200AH kit and sticking them in a storage container? (more just for to keep the wiring safe and out the way)
I realise there would need to be some airflow, so my question is would I be able to hook up some PC fans directly to 2 of the bridged batteries in order to power them?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Would I be ok going for the 200AH kit and sticking them in a storage container? (more just for to keep the wiring safe and out the way)
I realise there would need to be some airflow, so my question is would I be able to hook up some PC fans directly to 2 of the bridged batteries in order to power them?
Sure, good plan to keep wiring safe from stuff. Might just need a fan for the BMS module, maybe an inlet and exhaust fan on the side of the BMS? Just connect the 12V fan to the same positive and negative going to the inverter.

Slinetpixel

Sure, good plan to keep wiring safe from stuff. Might just need a fan for the BMS module, maybe an inlet and exhaust fan on the side of the BMS? Just connect the 12V fan to the same positive and negative going to the inverter.
Connecting the fans to the inverter cables makes more sense, forgot about that option.

greg_SA

Expert Member
Omnipower won't offer a guarentee if they are used with an Axpert. They need to be temperature monitored, etc.

wingnut771

Honorary Master